Draining Fuel Filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby david allan on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:50 +0000

Hey

Was just reading through the owners manual regarding Fuel Filter and have the following questions

1. The manual states that the Fuel Filter is not required to be changed reguraly. Is this correct. Im changing my Fuel filter every 10,000 kms. Is this to often?

2. The manual also states that if the Fuel Filter light is flashing then you have to drain the Fuel asap & then pump the filter and hopefully you will be alright. Has anyone experienced this & has draining the fuel fixed the prob making the light to stop flashing or do you still have to take it to toyota.

3. The manual states that if the light is on & not flashing take it straight to toyota. Does the light give you a warning by flashing first giving you a chance to drain the water or does the light just come on straight away without flashing.

4. Is it worth to drain the fuel filter on a regular basis (eg once a month) to eliminate the chance of water geting into the engine?.
Has anyone had trouble in draining the fuel filter system?
david allan

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 1:13 +0000

Good insurance is not to run the tank below 1/4 full and get the fuel tank drained at every service to remove water. Also add a funguscide to stop diesel fungus clogging the filter. I have fitted a inline water and sediment separator before the fuel filter and you can see whats coming through and I check it every week or so. So far it has been clean, I am also thinking of adding one downstream from the fuel filter. I came across some really good diesel filters at Bias marine today with a water separator and changeable filter as well. Being in a marine environment they would be perfect to remove water and sediment from the tank.
Mark
Skog07

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Trini_hilux on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 5:17 +0000

Although the manual says the fuel filter doesnt need changing, I change mine every other service (15K km).

The light has come on a few times for me, not blinking, just on. The filter canister was drained and the light was reset. I ended up dismantling the canister and giving it a thorough cleaning. I have not had a problem since.

I've heard lots of mechanics recommend that the filter be drained on a periodic basis, however I dont do that.

I was thinking about installing a prefilter, a gasoline fuel filter before the diesel filter to catch any major impurities. I will consider/investigate the marine filter as well.
Trini_hilux

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 8:56 +0000

David, Mine started flashing, after I accidently picked up some bad fuel in QLD. I immediatley drained the filter housing, and kept going, I made it to the next town, drained the tank and the filter, refiled the tank and kept going, but the damage had been done, water had gotten into the fuel pump. THe car stopped, and I had to be towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. A new fuel pump at over $1200 was the outcome... You are not changing your filter too often, but 15K is good. If the lights comes on I would pull over and drain the filter.. driving it to Toyota may very well further damage your car.. I would not bother draining the filter periodicaly, unless you are in an area that has known bad fuel... but then again, I would try not to use the bad fuel...lol...Bottom line.. if the light flashes or comes on DRAIN the filter. then if your not mechanincaly minded, take it to Toyota, or changed the filter yourself. 10 - 15k is ok for filter replacement. Use a GOOD quailty Biocide..

To drain the filter, simply turn the valve at the bottom of the filter housing, and pump the filter pump a few times, till your happy.. then tighten it back up. I Hope this has helped.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Rich on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 9:46 +0000

I have drained my filter a couple of times but never seemed to have any water in it. Its in a bad position, so its really hard to catch what you pump out in order to check it....has anyone got a good method of doing this?

I have done 46,000 km and never changed my filter. I might get it done at the upcoming 50,000 km service - although the dealership's don't like doing it as its not recommended to change it....

Best practice is to stick to one brand of fuel and keep all your receipts....so if you do get water contamination damage, you should be able to pin it onto that particular fuel company and they should hopfully pay the cost of repairs.

Richard.
Rich

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Goldminer on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:01 +0000

I regularly run my tank down low as a few of the destinations I travel to require a whole tank to get there. There's free fuel at either end you see. So far I have not had too many problems but I do change my filter every 20000 km's. It is really easy, just unscrew the plastic ring and lift the top off. I hve started using fleetguard filters as they are 1/3 the price of the oem filter. I also fitted a clear piece of fuel hose to the drain plug which pops out in the sump guard. I just stick a glass jar under it when I drain the filter housing. Word of caution, you should let the fuel run out of the drain for a while before pumping as this can stir up the crap on the bottom of the housing and lead to an incomplete draining when the material settles again.

Cheers
Goldminer
Goldminer

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby david allan on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:00 +0000

So do you guys reguraly drain the fuel filter by unscrewing the plastic tap.

I think if im changing the actual filter every 10,000k then draining the filter is prob not required but it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side
david allan

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby oldrev on Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:20 +0000

david,
the drain is to get rid of water from the fuel filter bowl.
the filter's job is to stop particals other than water water getting to your fuel pump and injectors.
water WILL go through the filter itself.
i have a piece if tube permanently attached to the drain c**k about 400 long and i drain off about every 5000 into an empty clear beer stubbie so i can see what come out of it.
just replacing the filter element wont get rid of the crap in the bottom of the canister.
i hope that makes sence
regards
ken
oldrev

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby WTF on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:39 +0000

Check out the following:

http://www.coomadiesel.com.au/cdpg10.htm

It is purely to assist with the water issue. I don't know much about it other than what is on the website as I haven't spoken to the guys at all.

Disclaimer: The Cooma deisel service guys have a pretty good reputation around the area as far as I am aware, but I haven't dealt with them myself.
WTF

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby chaser on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 2:06 +0000

i have to unscrew the tap the whole way for fuel to come out is this normal? or should the fuel/ water come out of the middle of the tap?
cheers
tony
If it moves shoot it , if it dosn't, give it a push
chaser

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby TOMUCH on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 2:35 +0000

Fuel should come out the middle... take it out and see if its blocked.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby chaser on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 3:03 +0000

yep she be blocked
thanks
If it moves shoot it , if it dosn't, give it a push
chaser

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby oldrev on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 5:09 +0000

tony
i did mine last week filter the lot its actually very easy to remove the whole housing to clean out the gunk that seems to stick to thbottom even if you drain it .
must be very careful though not to allow ANYTHING to get into the hose on the engine side
cheers
ken
oldrev

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby david allan on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 7:49 +0000

first time I had a try to drain the fuel filter today.
Its easy but its hard to get ur hand into their if u have a dual batery setup.

Whats the difference if you wind the screw almost all the way out and let some water / diesel drain out or wind the srew only a little bit and then pump the fuel filter button.

It should do & have the same result right?
david allan

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby oldrev on Sun, 13 Apr 2008 8:43 +0000

only personal preference but i allways pump out about half a stubbie full to make sure it's clear
cheers
ken
oldrev

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Goldminer on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:56 +0000

David, as I mentioned before the blokes I know at toyota recommend you drain for a while before pumping as the turbulence in the bowl can cause the shit a the bottom to become mixed with the clean fuel on top. I let about 300ml run out and then give it a few pumps. Close it up then reprime the system.

Cheers
Goldminer
Goldminer

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby Rich on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 6:01 +0000

Reagrding changing the Diesel fuel filter and cleaning out the bowl (and not getting any dirt into the engine side of the fuel lines)...
Is it possible someone who has done it, or knows about the procedure can post up a detailed step-by-step procedure for replacing the fuel filter in the Diesel..
That would be great.

Rich.
Rich

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby david allan on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 6:17 +0000

I second Rich's request
david allan

Draining Fuel Filter

Postby WTF on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 6:22 +0000

With reference to the "water watch" trap assembly from Cooma diesel per my link above:

Price is approx $390 plus approx $150 fitting.

I think I may investigate further and possibly fit one as cost isn't too bad (in comparison to damage could be caused).
System buzzes when you turn ignition on to let you know it is operating (no blown fuses etc) then when you are driving, it buzzes to give you warning of water in fuel.
WTF

Return to Fuel Systems