Fuel Tank - Question

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby spill on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 6:44 +0000

Spent a motza fixing a fuel problem on my jeep (SR5 D4D coming next week). Turned out to be rusted surface in the tank mixed with the fuel creating an orange mix which ultimately contaminated the fuel pump, lines and injectors. I tend to run the tank quite low!
My question is where does the pump draw the fuel from in the tank, surely it would be quite low, in the tank and with driving around continuously mixing (assumedly water and rust particles) Running the tank down low would not necessarily prevent drawing this into the system. I'm not keen to repeat this with the new Hlux ie water contaminating the diesel.
spill

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby bj343 on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 6:54 +0000

spill no need to worry about rust from hilux tank as it is crappy plastic
bj343

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:06 +0000

Spill, if you have 80 liters of water and put 80 semi floating balls in it.. it would be hard to get the balls all at once.. or even one at a time because they are so spread out.. now take 70 liters of water out and your left with 10 liters with 80 balls.. much easier to pick them up as they are confined in less space.. that is exactly what your doing when you run your tank low all the time.. creating a concentrated mix of rubbish with your good fuel.. I hope this helps.. If you can, try and fill our tank as often as possible.. if you do a lot of aropund town running, fil it up when you have used a 1/4 of a tank.. it costs the same for the last 1/4 as it does for the first.. and keeping the tank full will reduce the chances of condensation and rust. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:21 +0000

But if you constantly run on low and fill up, then there is little chance of the rubbish "depositing" at the bottom of the tank, correct?
Alway use a good trusthworthy fuel source, eg BP or Shell.... that extra $0.10 more could save you $10000.
My humble opinion. ;)
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 8:00 +0000

To be honest, once you have crap in your tank.. ie rust and such.... then running it full or not really wont make much difference. but keeping your tank full "most of the time" will limit condensation and therefore diesel bug in your tank.. THe biggest problem then is to make sure you dont pump it into your tank from the servo... Good advice Marcelo, always buy from a reputable outlet.. must learn to follow my own advice one day...hahaha. would have saved me a heap of bother.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby EC11WA on Fri, 14 Mar 2008 1:01 +0000

Ok, here is a few tips from someone who has been in the fuel industry for nearly a decade.

Advise for those in WA.

1. Buy from Busy servos - there is a constant flow of product. ( older quiet servos have old tanks, more contamination and more water at the base of the tank. ) All tanks have water in their base.

2. For those who think Shell is better than Caltex etc or Woolies. Here it is..........Woolies, Caltex, Shell, Coles Express, all come from the Shell terminal. Exact same fuel except for PULP98 as they use different additives.

3. All PULP 98 comes from Coogee in Kwinana as does all of Uniteds, Peaks fuel. Wouldn't touch it as far as I'm concerned.....

4. Gull - No Comment

5. BP - all fuel in WA comes from the BP refinery. BP use good additives in their fuel, the reason you pay that bit more when it comes to Ultimate 98. I would not use anything other than BP Ultimate 98 if using 98 octane for the V6.

6. Some sites will let their tanks run to zero, be careful as it is you who will be getting the water and sedimant from the bottom of the sites tanks. Not good for any car whether it Diesel or ULP. Generally happens at the quieter sites who order their fuel.

7. Never run your tank below 1/4 on a regular basis. Occasionally you will pick up small particles from your fuel tank, but these will pass through. Running it low all the time just increases the risk of picking up more crap from the bottom of the tank. If it passes through occasionally, you will have no dramas and your tank will stay relatively clean.

Hope this helps for those in WA.

Just be mindful of when and where to fill up.

EC11WA

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby bj343 on Fri, 14 Mar 2008 1:33 +0000

looking to change to longrange tanks with drain holes, would it be advisiable to regularly flush these tanks, if yes with what, running a D4D
Regards
Brian
bj343

Fuel Tank - Question

Postby EC11WA on Fri, 14 Mar 2008 2:12 +0000

No need to flush the tanks. Just drain them off once every 6 months to make sure there is no sedimants or contaminants in your tank and everything will be fine.

Cheers

Brad

EC11WA

Return to Fuel Systems