Bio Diesel...Myth vrs fact

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby 2RODS on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 6:51 +0000

I have been raeding with interest a few threads that refer to bio diesel and "how bad" people say it is.

I have a bit of an interest in this area as I make the stuff for a job but I am also a diesel fitter so I think I have a balanced view on the subject.

First up Bio does not block up your filter with rubbish..... The rubbish has always been in your tank from running dirty mineral diesel... The Bio diesel just loosens it up....so yes after a tank or so of bio you should change your filter or better still clean out the tank before you use it.

The other one we hear is "bio stuffed my injector pump"....
Bio diesel has more lubricity than mineral diesel so it should be better for your pump. But you need to know what blend of bio you can run in your vehicle. Older injection systems use rubber seals and o-rings and that is not compatable with Bio Diesel.

Most manufactures allow the use of a BIO blend.. that is a mix of bio and mineral diesel. B5, B10, B20, B50 and some allow straight bio B100.

Remember the EU has been running bio for years and I think it is mandated that all of there diesel must contain some bio.

Toyota have stated that our Hilux's can use a bio blend of B5 with no problems at all.

I use B100 in my 2.8 ltr 2x4 hilux and I have had no problems in 30,000kms. infact it runs better on the stuff and blows no black smoke.

As for the new Hilux .... at a B5 blend you don't even know it is in there :o

Remember that most of the horror stories you hear about are from home made snot...not the stuff from a servo.
2RODS

Postby 10K on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:11 +0000

2RODS,

I live in sydney and a service station not far from me sells B20, B50 and B100.

I am yet to try his fuel as 15 months ago I took on some bad normal diesel from a large, busy service station with a logo that you might find at the seaside and did $8000 worth of damage to my injectors, fuel pump, common rail and fuel lines. Toyota wiped their hands of me, and I'm still taking the fuel company to court to recover my expenses!

I also run Gas on my truck.

Would you suggest that I could try B20 of B50?
This BioDiesel service station is reputable, and I know a few guys with 90's 2.4 and 2.8L diesels who use his fuel without problem.

I have a long range tank with a drain plug on the bottom, and replace my fuel filter religiously every 5000kms so I am well placed to clean out my tank if required before I embark on biodiesel.

I'm keen on the biodiesel for environmental reasons, as well as cost... it's a bit cheaper than normal diesel.

Cheers
Matt

Postby 2RODS on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 3:57 +0000

As Toyota only recommend B5 i wouldn't want to tell you to run it at anymore than that...But I know that they run just fine on B20 8-) So it is your call.

Next time your down to 1/2 a tank top it up with B20 and see what you think. Just make sure that your tank is clean first.... It is a pity they don't sell a B5 mix but most people want a B20 or higher.
2RODS

Postby jamiecracker on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:42 +0000

where is the service station in sydney that sells bio diesel
i havent been able to find one yet
jamiecracker

Postby 10K on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:45 +0000

The BioDiesel service station is on Sydneham Rd, just before the bridge that takes you over the station. Not far from Marrickville Bowling Club.

He is not always open, as there is sometimes a problem with supply.

Cheers
Matt

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 1:09 +0000

Its the one that I saw and mentioned in the other thread that I started on fuel filters. It wasnt much cheaper than other diesel in the area. Let me know if you are game to give it a try. I always have religiously used BP Diesel and fuels. And buy it in bulk as well.
Mark
Skog07

Return to Fuel Systems