Fuel Filters

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Filters

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 1:12 +0000

Hi Members
I asked Arb today if they could order some extra fuel filters today for the lux as planning trip North and want some insurance to protect myself from crap fuel.
Was told that Toyota or Denso dont recommend changing the fuel filter at all and will not supply a replacement and suggest purchasing the whole cannister for around $90 bucks. Was also told that they havent ever changed one as they are designed to last the life of the vehicle.
They suggested to instal a water seperator upstream of the filter to monitor fuel quality that comes through the canister. I mentioned diesel fungus additive and got a blank look and told to purchase it from Toyota themselves as they havent heard of fungus??? Where do you get these filters from or is it better to simply buying a canister.
Mark
Skog07

Fuel Filters

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 7:50 +0000

Mark, Go directly to Toyota and get a geniuine filter... about 27-30 bucks... also ask them for some biocide... Toyota should have both.. and neither of them are expensive.. the best insurance is to try and only buy fuel from reputable stations.. yes I know thats not always possible.. but I would not think the route your planning would ive you too many problems in this area.. especially at this time of year... as I said .. use the big ones.. even if you dont need fuel.. and you think that you might just make the next big place.. better to fill early then run the tank very low... with your tank.. in the NT.you should easily get from Alice to Three ways... then again to katherine.. they are the places I used when going that way... If you need any info on how to change the filter cartfidge let me know... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Fuel Filters

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 8:36 +0000

only problem up that way at the moment would be the excess water from flooding wouldnt it ? (if you're going near those areas).. I'd be steering well clear of areas that have had a heap of rain lately.. as seepage into fuel tanks is a high possibility..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Fuel Filters

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:13 +0000

Mark.
The story I was told today was.
There would be a high possibility that if I try to change the fuel filter in the field after purchasing contaminated fuel that the warranty on the injector pump would be void if any damage occured. This was through Arb who consulted with Toyota and Denso. But the other details are the Prado has an interchangeble filter that is different to the hilux even though it now runs the same motor and they do change them when they service vehicles. Arb said that Toyota need to clarify what you can and can't do to the fuel filter on the Diesel model.
The locker works like a treat even though it may have an oil leak.:)
Mark
Skog07

Fuel Filters

Postby gemfab71 on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 9:35 +0000

Hi Mark,
I just purchased a fuel filter canister today. Cost $29 for a genuine toyota filter. Took 5 minutes to fit, and good as gold!

gemfab.
gemfab71

Fuel Filters

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:24 +0000

Cheers Jemfab.
Will buy a few for the tip. There is so much speculation and myths about these filters. Will pop into Toyota and get some tomorrow.
Mark
Skog07

Fuel Filters

Postby broke on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:30 +0000

Just did my 30k service at Oakey Toyota (good mob) this week. I asked about the fuel filter and how toyota say that it's good to go for ages and the bloke just bluntly said to me that he reckons that it's bullsh!t and he would get it changed at least every 40k service. ....guess what I'll be doin next service?

He also strongly recommends changing the oil every 5k. He said he doesn't care if I do it thru their shop or at home- just do it!

Broke
broke

Fuel Filters

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:48 +0000

Drop the oil on mine every 5000ks as well. On the subject of fuel filters and fuel, I drove past a servo in Marrickville that sells Biodiesel has anyone tried this in there Diesel luxxes. They sold three grades of biodiesel 5%, 10% and 20%, I only caught a quick glance.
Mark
Skog07

Fuel Filters

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:48 +0000

Mark, i would not do it.. days before you leave.. just not worth the risk.. Toyota says you can use 5%.. but I would wait til I got home.. as for the filter.. mate it is piss easy to change.. if you dont change it before you come up.. I will show you how to change it when you get here.. There will still be plenty of water around when you arrive.. so will have to be somewhare carefull where we go.. Hopefully you will get here Sunday or Sunday night.. I have the Monday and Tuesday to show you guys around... see you then.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Fuel Filters

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 9:46 +0000

Thanks Mark.
Wasnt going to try the biodiesel. Just wanted to find out if anyone has. It is not really cheaper than diesel anyways. The servo looked a little sus. as well
We are planning to leave on the 4th of March, I am trying to get my mate to leave earlier, so we have a good five days to get up there.
Thanks Mark
Skog07

Fuel Filters

Postby gemfab71 on Sat, 23 Feb 2008 7:27 +0000

Hi Mark,
Not sure if it's the same but I bought Green diesel at a depo out the back of Alice Springs once, and by the time I reached Tennant Creek I had my Hilux in at the local Toyota Dealer getting the injector pump cleaned out and new gaskets fitted. Maybe the same as biodiesel with a different name, not sure. Keep clear of it anyway.
Gemfab...
gemfab71

Return to Fuel Systems