Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

UTE IS TOUGH BUT BREAKABLE ARTICLE

Postby dirtyharry on Tue, 15 May 2012 4:37 +0000

So do we know if it's all d4d's that could potentially have this problem or are the later built ones safe?
dirtyharry

Re: UTE IS TOUGH BUT BREAKABLE ARTICLE

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 7:33 +0000

G'day Dirty Harry,

I have heard of injector leaks in Post 2008 Hilux D4D's, so the jury is out on wether or not the seal washer plating is working, I would think it has to help a little though if corrosion at thre seal face was a major catalyst in the leak.

But to answer your question, I was talking to a guy who has seen a 1/2 clogged screen on a 2010, lucky they got it a only half glogged.

This problem has appeared not only in Hilux, but Prado & HiAce pickups, anything with a D$D powerplant

Gfrog
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 7:45 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Thanks GF for the pics...
I do have to ask the question. Does this problem occur in the 2nd hand market. ie Vehicles purchased from govt ex council, mining auctions that may or may not have been idled, unloaded for extended periods of time.. Running aircons and heaters on site in lunch breaks. Or does it come from sloppy injector replacement, kind of like reusing a Nylock nut again for the second time. Ive read time and time before that the the injector seal need replacing which also includes the common rail pipework itself.. All the pipework from the rail to the injector,as it doesnt seal properly on the refit.. Most people do the quick dodgy and just replace the injectors..
The only reason I do ask is... I have a 130000ks vehicle, the Common rail is common rail.. ie never ever touched by Toyota at all or anyone including speciallists, never been chipped or even opened up for an inspection for EGR. Oil changed roughly between 5000 to 7000ks after the warranty ended along with filters. Gets clean air, clean oil and clean fuel..Dragging off the sump this early in the engines life just doesnt seem right. I know the service history as I have owned it since new..
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark (Skog07)

This problem comes from the design which allows the seal to leak in the first place. Then it is made worse by the Dealer Network not being informed of the way to deal with it, ie/ Changing seals every 45,000KLM like in NZ.

I would be having any car over 100,000 plus KLM definatley checked for this, so the Second hand market is a critical one for making these simple checks.

You do not have to pull the sump to check for the problem, just drain the oil and look at your screen through the drain bung, but if you see a dirty screen, then I strongly advise you drop the sump & clean it out properly if you want to get to 150,000KLM plus, unfortunately, the problem is not always visible under the rocker cover either, unless you actually pull each injector and check the injector lance & port.

I would say howeveer to change the injector seals every 45,000KLM would be also wise, just as they do in NZ. This limits the amount of buildup if it has in fact started, and stops accumulation to a critical point that will kill engine in an instant.

I will work out how to upload pics of how to do the simple check.

GFrog
grogfrog

Postby sirlux on Tue, 15 May 2012 10:15 +0000

It will be very interesting to see if Toyota
Australia tries to fob this off ones the media does
Off a little.
sirlux

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 11:16 +0000

sirlux wrote:It will be very interesting to see if Toyota
Australia tries to fob this off ones the media does
Off a little.
Hi Sirlux,

With the FOC customer contact campaign in Europe still active until August 2014 on 06-08 D4D's in Hilux & Prado, and with many OZ Hilux's hitting critical KLM within this period, even if it goes off the boil now, with the potential for a big qty's of engine failures to appear in the next 12 months in OZ, and with this info. already now published and on record in the electronic media, People will be searching for answers but now they are going to find them.... It might be silly for Toyota to wait for another bigger wave of complaints within the next 12 months whilst a campaign is running in Euro for the same problem.

I think its time for them to help us out a little now before it turns into even more D4D failures.

These engines can be easily & cheaply sorted now before they have to end up failures, and will then probably do double the mileage easily no problems.

GFrog
grogfrog

Postby jimO on Tue, 15 May 2012 1:53 +0000

all of the above is why i made sure my new hilux has a 5 year toyota warranty
jimO

Postby StevenS on Tue, 15 May 2012 2:05 +0000

I haven't yet heard back from Toyota (typical) so I'll be finding time in the next day or so to follow up.
StevenS

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 2:29 +0000

StevenS wrote:I haven't yet heard back from Toyota (typical) so I'll be finding time in the next day or so to follow up.

Thanks very much Steve for making this extra enquiry. Every bit helps and its much appreciated.

Good luck

G Frog
grogfrog

UTE IS TOUGH BUT BREAKABLE ARTICLE

Postby dirtyharry on Tue, 15 May 2012 4:41 +0000

Hey steve, what's the email address you used to contact Toyota?
I might do the same. More enquiries might actually make them pay attention!
dirtyharry

Postby StevenS on Tue, 15 May 2012 4:51 +0000

I actually called the Customer Experience Centre - I find you get further actually speaking to a person.

Ph: 1800 869 682

The more people who call up the better I reckon
StevenS

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 4:57 +0000

dirtyharry wrote:Hey steve, what's the email address you used to contact Toyota?
I might do the same. More enquiries might actually make them pay attention!
G'day fellas,

Being a computer idiot, I can't work out how to upload pics into thread of the inspection tool Toyota dealer Techs used to check for clear screens, but I have put the pics in Myshed for you to look at. This was the same tool that issued to dealers to check for Chassis crack issue. A shot of a clear screen is there as well.....This is the pic you will want to see.

They just poke it into the sump bung & click.

Hey Max, how do ya do that pic thing?

The good thing about this tool is that the Dealer can e-mail you a pic of the clear oil pickup screen for piece of mind, as well as to show a prospective buyer when you go to sell.

A clear screen pic would tell you your injectors seals have not leaked bad yet.

GFrog
grogfrog

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 15 May 2012 5:35 +0000

Thanks GF.
Will have a look on the next change. Might get the dealer to snap a pic when it goes in for the chassis recall as well.
You need a photobucket account to upload images, there is a tutorial in general discussion forum on how to do it.
[img]http://www.newhilux.net/ridepics/grogfrog/grogfrogToyota%20Otek%20Inspection%20Scope%20(2).jpg[/img]
Ive disabled the bbcode on this thread so you can see how the image get posted onto the forum. It needs the img code as a prefix and a suffix see above.[img] xxxx [/img] Copy paste the image property into the post then highlight the image code with your mouse. Then click on Img should look like the above.
Cheers.
Mark
Last edited by Skog07 on Tue, 15 May 2012 5:41 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
Skog07

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 15 May 2012 5:36 +0000

Thanks GF.
Will have a look on the next change. Might get the dealer to snap a pic when it goes in for the chassis recall as well.
You need a photobucket account to upload images, there is a tutorial in general discussion forum on how to do it.
Ive disabled the bbcode on this thread so you can see how the image get posted onto the forum. It
needs the img code as a prefix and a suffix see above. Copy paste the image property into the post then highlight the image code with your mouse. Then click on Img should look like the above.
Cheers.
Mark
Sorry to jump off topic but you can see the same post above with the bb code enabled.
Skog07

Postby sirlux on Tue, 15 May 2012 6:10 +0000

I will also give them a call, ask for a team leader
Or manager when calling! It might get pushed a
little higher.
sirlux

Postby srextra on Tue, 15 May 2012 7:08 +0000

dose anyone know if it is posible to clean the pickup screen or do you have to but a new part???
cheers.
sam.
srextra

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 8:41 +0000

Hi Mark (Skog07)

Photobucket? I think I'll probably Kickthebucket, before I can get my head around that, but I will try to read that tutorial. Thanks for that Mark.

GFrog

P.S. Good luck at the Customer Experience Centre fellas, or the loopy loop back to the start centre as I call it. I feel sorry for the crew that have to take all the calls though, they seem to me to be the meat in the sandwitch in many issues. I hope that at least sometimes they get a chance to give some of the punters "oh what a feeling", I just get left "feeling oh what a waste of time"!

One thing I will tell you is that I think their are only 4 (four) people that handle all the calls, and I can say for sure that they ALL now know about this issue, so non of them should tell you they have not heard about this problem before. I am sure also now that if they search their records they will find similar complaints because I now others have been through the grinder on this one as well.

I'll keep trying with them though too, perhaps I'll eventually get lucky! might even win Tatts to pay for my donk!

you can e-mail them: customerexperience@toyota.com.au

If everybody calls the subject: D4D Injector seal leak=clogged oil screen=engine failure?

They will know what we are all talking about.

If you have an actual issue with a car, make sure you at least get a case number. This way they can respond formely to tell you what ever they were going to tell you anyway before you even contacted them.

Actually, I should go easy just now & reserve my cynicsym just a little while longer because they may actually come good, just like in EU, particularly if a few people do contact them. Thanks guys

GFrog
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 8:50 +0000

srextra wrote:dose anyone know if it is posible to clean the pickup screen or do you have to but a new part???

G'day SRExtra, you can definately wash the pickup screen & tube, once you can get to it. If you do a good job of it You should not need to replace this part. You need to also remove the carbon from the sump & top end if it is evident.

NZ techs in Auckland have told me that you can drop the sump in the car without fully pulling the engine, and clean it all out properly. Not quite sure how they go about that, since I would have thought to do it, the engine would need to come right out, but they tell me they have done a few "in car" sump & pickup screen cleans now.

Those Kiwis are quite a clever bunch!!

Gfrog
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 15 May 2012 9:08 +0000

jimO wrote:all of the above is why i made sure my new hilux has a 5 year toyota warranty

G'day JimO

I was wondering why they started offering the big warranty, must be a market for it.

Did you go for the 150,000KLM option? In OZ we do big KLM's

You know the old saying though, Prevention is better than cure! Better you don't blow your donk, because even if you have warranty, you gonna have a new Engine number and when you go to sell, they'll love to talk it down on that, plus while you are waiting 4-6weeks for your new engine to get fitted, Then if your luck they might give you a little Yaris at 35 bucks a day to pull the chicks with in the meantime.

Maybe that Warranty is not all that its cracked up to be mate, but I guess its definately better than none at all.

Cheers Bro

Gfrog
grogfrog

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 15 May 2012 11:16 +0000

Yaris... best chick puller in the world. :lol:
Skog07

Postby 4wd26 on Wed, 16 May 2012 7:30 +0000

Just wondering if a oil sample test would pick up the signs of a combustion leak.

if this test could pick it up then you would potentially recognise the problem before the "gravel" ever got to the sump.

Just a thought- as a oil test of ~$100 could be cheap insurance and added info if ever required- if it can pick up the problem?
4wd26

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems