Diesel/Lpg fuel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby rickyf on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 1:56 +0000

lets see pics.. sounds like there so many pros.
better economy
more power
safe
no black smoke
less rattle.

im suprised this thread isnt twice the size. thoughts? suggestions? rumors?
rickyf

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 4:36 +0000

rickyf wrote:lets see pics..

Of what?

I'm still happy with mine. Although mines currently turned off, exhaust issues and the standard exhaust is back on so no egt gauge or sensor, like to know temps, rather be safe then sorry. But really badly missing the power!
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby rickyf on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 7:51 +0000

amitch888 wrote:
rickyf wrote:lets see pics..

Of what?

where you have mounted
-the gas tank.
-the reducer.
-the injector.
-the module (inside the car)??

where the gas is introduced before the turbo
your egt sensor (if u have one)
fuel gauge for gas?
gas filler...

any of the following would be great as id imagine there are quite a few people who would be interested in seeing any of the above.

:) cheers
rickyf

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 8:01 +0000

I don't think I've taken any photo's of the engine bay or gas tank as yet. I'll try remember to take some Monday. That's one down side the gas, it does take up more room in the engine bay and under the tray. Photo's of my tank and filler may not be relevant to most as I have a tray. So many tanks available, just go with what fits where ever you can squeeze it. :shock: stick the filler where ever suits to, installers should be able to fit it up where ever is most practical.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby toyboata on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:41 +0000

The system Mitch has is explained and shown in diagram here
http://www.peelinstruments.com.au/page20.html
This is the system I had on my Hilux and am currently installing on all vehicles I do diesel LPG conversions on. There's some results there too from different vehicles including the Hilux.
Tank can be 20lt under tub above diff and requires no other mods. 32 lt tank can be installed under middle to chassis rail where centre muffler is and this requires the exhaust to be modified. With a tray there's usually much more flexibility in tank size and location.
The system I had and one I think Mitch has does take up a bit of room but I'm now using different converter, injector and filter with pressure sensor which are all quite a bit more compact and better looking and fit much nicer in the engine bay. Ill post some photos of the improved components when I get a chance.
toyboata

Postby toyboata on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:45 +0000

What's wrong with your exhaust Mitch?
You know the thermocouple for the gas EGT sensor can easily be installed in the dump pipe, only need to drill 8.5mm hole and use 1/8 BSP tap for thread.
toyboata

Postby DluxSR5 on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 7:45 +0000

Hi guys.....after sorting a leaking injector seal and also bad fuel contamination and cleaning all the filters, egr and manifold (Hilux runs sweet now), with help from members and feedback on this forum. By the way the manifold was that clagged up with crap from the poor oil or Diesel it took a few hours to clean out......
viewtopic.php?t=22266

FYI I have had an Injection LPG system fitted to my Diesel. Car has heaps more grunt, power and Torque and gets around low 7's per 100klm around city and also mid-high 6's/100k's highway. Range has gone from approx. 650 to 950 on the open road using around 18-20litres to get the extra range. I have noticed I don't get as much of an economy increase around town as I thought but a huge difference on the highway. Even reset my trip meter for an around the city trip for work (mostly freeway taking it easy, oh and mine is a manual 07' model) and averaged 5.9l/100klm for 200klm....Also, hoping and supposedly the internals will be 'cleaner' than before, I'll check...
I know there will probably be doubters, however for all the members interested from a positive outcome.....I have done close to 10,000 klm's without an issue. Oh yes hangon there has been an issue a couple of times....when I run out of gas the Hilux feels alot slower...lol
DluxSR5

Postby breid on Mon, 16 May 2016 2:40 +0000

Hi All. After gaining a heap of info from this site, thought it's about time I gave back. I too have the Peel Electronics Gas Injection system fitted on a '09 single cab tray back. It has been set up to run about an 80/20 mixture (20% gas 80% diesel). So for a 140l fuel tank, gas cylinder capacity is 28l ( about 30 - 32 l water volume )
Because the gas burns a lot hotter, the gas is not injected until engine reaches a minimum temperature (1st mark on the temp gauge) and cuts out if temp gets too high. This allows the engine to warm at a normal rate.
The vehicle certainly has much more pulling power which is especially noticeable going up hills...don't loose as much speed...and around town with less gear changes. Economy wise, has improved highway driving from around 11.5l/100km to just over 10l/100km ( half your luck to all those getting less than 10. What's your secret? ) So about a 15% saving on diesel consumption.
The only negatives I've found is
(1) the constant 'clicking' of the injection solenoid can be heard in the cab at around 1300 rpm. Can quieten this down by mounting the compressor / solenoid arrangement on rubber mounts.
(2) remembering to fill the gas cylinder early in the morning when it's cold so I can get the max amount of gas in. If the tank is hot, the pressure inside the tank is too much for the servo pump to overcome and so only get about half the volume you think you should be able to get in.
Overall, happy with the outcome of installing the system and would certainly recommend it if you are carrying a constant heavy load or regularly towing.

Cheers
Bruce
breid

Postby BDG on Mon, 16 May 2016 8:28 +0000

my only reservation with this that never seems to be addressed is the issue created by CRD having a pilot and pre-injection strokes.

I've seen pilot injection timing of over 60 degrees advance often enough to know that its common, if you're administering this fuel source with the intake, what do you do to help the issues caused here.

In every other way, we think its great. one of our familys patents was a Diesel Gas set-up...
BDG

Postby breid on Tue, 17 May 2016 9:06 +0000

BDG
Sorry Mate, not being a mechanic, your question is a bit over my head.
On my system the gas is injected on the air inlet side of the turbo. This way the gas is mixed with the air before it enters the cylinder. The diesel is injected as per normal.
Asked my mechanic about it but he has not adjusted any timing. So unless the processor that comes with the system changes the timing...
If you would like to put the issue into more laymans terms, I am happy to take it to my mechanic to try to find out an answer or provide his ph number & you can ring him directly.
breid

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems