Faulty injectors or injector pump?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Faulty injectors or injector pump?

Postby mitch_893 on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 1:44 +0000

Just recently, my 06 d4d hilux has been running like crap everytime you start after its been sitting for at least 5 mins. I've noticed that when you shut it off, you can hear fluid from around the pump/rail area running back and gurgling through the system. If left long enough, it actually will stall unless I give it some pedal. After a few seconds of running like shit, it smooths out and you can hear the injectors working properly. It runs beautifully once it's past this stage, no 'injector knocks'. It's done 212,000ks, but has already had I think 3 injectors replaced.

Here is a video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy-q-QJg3Y

Cheers.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Re: Faulty injectors or injector pump?

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 7:21 +0000

Going by the fact it runs perfectly after a few mins i wouldnt think it'd be the pump or injectors. The draining back sounds like it could be the noise that the turbo makes when you turn off the car and it pumps oil around when you leave the key in the on position when the car is off, every d4d hilux does it im sure, mine does anyway and sounds exactly how you described!

Sounds like its struggling at idle tho either way, has the ecu recently been re-flashed when the injectors were done? Seems like its the idle mixture or cold start mode thats off whack and putting too much fuel in for the first few secons/minuts which is what the re-flash does to try and quieten the engine down and reduce the knock.

Cleaned the MAF or the egr componets? Could be the 4th injector that hasnt been changed? Could be something really simple and easily fixed, start tearing things apart!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby mitch_893 on Tue, 29 Nov 2011 7:55 +0000

Turbo oil pump works fine, I know that sound. This sound of fluid running back is on the passenger side. MAF and egr cleaned. Seems like its struggling for fuel. Ecu flash was the next thing to try, do you know how much they charge?
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 6:24 +0000

my 06 had a leak in its injector pump back in 07.. but it would cause the motor to go into limp mode.. i never had gurgling sounds though..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby mitch_893 on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 6:48 +0000

Havnt had limp mode before. It almost seems like the rail isn't holding pressure when shut off. Have a look at this video, take note about halfway through, the sound of the injectors suddenly working properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrYn2zsW-dk
I don't touch the pedal during the first half of the video, it just sorts itself out. How much roughly was the new pump?
Cheers
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 30 Nov 2011 7:01 +0000

they warrantied my pump.. mind you it took them months to admit that it wasnt injector contamination..

do a search on here for 'injector pump' you'll find my thread about it..

here it is :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1281

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby stewardmoli on Thu, 12 Jan 2012 8:53 +0000

I similarly have the same problem,and the problem is there is not enough fuel supplied by the fuel filter and either fuel rail.
stewardmoli

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 12 Jan 2012 1:04 +0000

ahh.. that could be a blocked pickup or a blockage in your fuel line..

first thing i'd do there would be to drop your fuel tank out, remove the fuel pickup and clean it..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby danmcccc on Thu, 12 Jan 2012 3:12 +0000

Steve9R wrote:ahh.. that could be a blocked pickup or a blockage in your fuel line..

first thing i'd do there would be to drop your fuel tank out, remove the fuel pickup and clean it..

Steve

x2 check supply first...work from the tank to the pump, eliminating components as you go, compressed air thru disconnected fuel lines is always a good start, and replace the fuel filter before doing anything just incase its as simple as that...

Dan
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby Ggn25 on Thu, 12 Jan 2012 4:55 +0000

Do you have access to any diagnostic testers. Need to check injector feedback values and check fuel pressure is reaching the target pressure and staying there. If there has ever been fuel contamination at any point in its life the supply pump will suffer. Maybe have those checked and also remove the tank and physically check the fuel pickup for debris and the bottom of the tank , clean it all out and proceed from there.
I have seen injectors ad supply pump replaced at the same time a few had been filled with petrol and ran until stopped .

Even easier a 2 ltr container of fresh diesel connected to the fuel filter and then bled and see how that runs. But a diagnostic tester used to check those and other values may point to an issue.
Ggn25

Return to Fuel Systems