Racor fuel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Racor fuel filter

Postby qldminer on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 1:06 +0000

Alby wrote:They look very nice setups, who did you end up buying them from??

diesel care at toowoomba.

http://www.dieselcare.com.au/fuel-manager-filter

the instructions say if you mount dual batteries north/south orientation it will fit no worries.

if its east/west you'll have a problem.

only thing that bugs me just slightly is 1 of the cables i had to unplug from the factory filter, its pritty tight now plugged back in, not much slack in it. not sure if this is as intended or ok. might try bend that part of the bracket a touch closer so its not so tight.
qldminer

Postby bluehilux on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 1:23 +0000

qldminer wrote:haha +1000000 bluehilux, just installed mine. was an absolute breeze. here are some pictures of it installed.

just hooked her up, primed it, and ran the engine for about 10min just to get the fuel flowing through the new filter and into the toyo and into the engine.

just from this first impression i recommend this kit so highly. it is tight in there, but it makes use of the space, doesnt clutter up the area for a 2nd battery (i think)

it cost me 320bucks which included the 30micron pre filter kit, express postage and a replacement 30micron filter.

i didnt get any buzzer or light yet. still looking for that how to step by step instructions for it, but for now. this will do ill just check it every now and again

Bet you end up pulling out that compressor to fit a dual battery tray ;)
bluehilux

Postby aandy on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 2:00 +0000

aandy

Postby qldminer on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 2:11 +0000

yer i probably will put that compressor elsewhere, dunno where - was hoping under the seats, but i guess it wouldnt fit. oh well thats future me's problem.
qldminer

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 6:29 +0000

qldminer wrote:haha +1000000 bluehilux, just installed mine. was an absolute breeze. here are some pictures of it installed. just from this first impression i recommend this kit so highly. it is tight in there, but it makes use of the space, doesnt clutter up the area for a 2nd battery (i think).... the instructions say if you mount dual batteries north/south orientation it will fit no worries. if its east/west you'll have a problem.

Thanks QLDM. Nice job with the pics.
It looks like it might be a bit tricky to see the fuel bowl. Do ya reckon you cold see any crud or water in the bowl?
DeadlyBeast

Postby qldminer on Thu, 01 Nov 2012 5:08 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:
qldminer wrote:haha +1000000 bluehilux, just installed mine. was an absolute breeze. here are some pictures of it installed. just from this first impression i recommend this kit so highly. it is tight in there, but it makes use of the space, doesnt clutter up the area for a 2nd battery (i think).... the instructions say if you mount dual batteries north/south orientation it will fit no worries. if its east/west you'll have a problem.

Thanks QLDM. Nice job with the pics.
It looks like it might be a bit tricky to see the fuel bowl. Do ya reckon you cold see any crud or water in the bowl?

yer it is tricky, with a torch no problem. a light and buzzer really is needed due to the position.
qldminer

Postby packeteer on Thu, 01 Nov 2012 6:28 +0000

I bought the Water Watch fitting kit. The bracket is a massive chunk of steel
not sure if that is a good or bad thing
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 01 Nov 2012 6:50 +0000

Cheers QLDM. Much appreciated.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Swinder on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 3:22 +0000

G'day
Just finished installing the sensor on the FM 100 stanadyne water filter but cant beleave the size of the light and it doesn't come with a buzzer.has anyone modifyed theres with a smaller light and a buzzer,If so what type :?:
Swinder

Postby oggy on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 3:30 +0000

Yep. Done both. You can fit any light you like. There is no specific electronics in the back of the supplied light. Apparently they make it that big for agricultural or industrial applications. I had a chrome bezzel led installed(around 9mm) and a peizo buzzer. Both go off (as there meant to) every time ignition is switched on.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Swinder on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 3:40 +0000

oggy wrote:Yep. Done both. You can fit any light you like. There is no specific electronics in the back of the supplied light. Apparently they make it that big for agricultural or industrial applications. I had a chrome bezzel led installed(around 9mm) and a peizo buzzer. Both go off (as there meant to) every time ignition is switched on.

Sorry to be a pain :roll: but how load is the buzzer
And where did you get them from :?:
Swinder

Postby oggy on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 4:54 +0000

Swinder wrote:
oggy wrote:Yep. Done both. You can fit any light you like. There is no specific electronics in the back of the supplied light. Apparently they make it that big for agricultural or industrial applications. I had a chrome bezzel led installed(around 9mm) and a peizo buzzer. Both go off (as there meant to) every time ignition is switched on.

Sorry to be a pain :roll: but how load is the buzzer
And where did you get them from :?:

Buzzer is loud, not uncomfortably loud, but certainly scare the f*#k out of you loud. Auto elec had it on the shelf. Don't know specs(decibels) but certainly louder than the toyota seat belt/ key in ignition buzzer. I would imagine any 12v buzzer from the likes of jaycar would do the trick. The good thing about it being seperate from the oem buzzer is that you know straight away exactly what it is. Like i have said previously, even a woman should shit herself and stop :shock: hopefully :roll: :roll:
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

oggy

Postby qldminer on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 5:36 +0000

is that the warning light kit that you can buy with the FM100 kit from diesel care?.
qldminer

Postby Alby on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 5:39 +0000

Oggy, you mention a OEM buzzer?? Didnt know there was one, thought there was only a warning light???
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby oggy on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 6:07 +0000

Alby i am led to believe that the face lift model has the buzzer hooked up to the light as well :?: i think steve9r said that his buzzer mod wasn't needed on the current model as it had a buzzer :?: :?: Although i truely hope i never hear the mother go off :? :?

oggy

Postby Alby on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 6:08 +0000

Ok, interesting, I havn't heard that before
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby DeadlyBeast on Fri, 02 Nov 2012 7:41 +0000

Alby wrote:Ok, interesting, I havn't heard that before

Looks like from 09 Toyota have installed buzzers. A couple of members confirm this on the below page.
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5924&hilit=filter+buzzer&start=80
DeadlyBeast

Postby 2007Lux on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 1:15 +0000

I have been looking into this mod for the past few days and so far this is what I have been told/read on forums as far as set ups go.

Toyota in Kalgoorlie suggest a secondary filter of 5microns. They are offering this as an install for $500. I am sure they are using the standyne assembly with a Fuel Manager filter element as I visited a diesel injection place here who told me they sell the 5 micron standyne units to Kal Toyota. Not sure if a bowl is included in this.

Diesel Care suggested setup up is a secondary filter of 2 microns which when I mentioned this to Kal Toyota did not seem to disagree but just said they use 5micron. I'm sure there's not much between 2 and 5 though?? DC also said that the standyne water buzzer is an extra $200 - $300 (Can't remember exactly), but said you can just use the OEM light with the buzzer mod to alert you to water.

As for the autoshops in town only one had a kit, the Terrain Tamer one, with a 30 micro for use as a pre filter.

I was thinking of a 30 micron pre filter but am undecided again due to two big companies suggesting secondary filters.

Will continue to search more
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 6:04 +0000

From the research i did last year i found reports in the uk that the 2 + 2 setup( as in 2 micron prefilter with the stock 2 micron filter ) causes long term problems with the injector pumps as its stripping the fuel of all the additives that help lubricate the seals etc. And that the most used setup was a 10 + 2 setup, where the stock ones remains at the end of the chain with the 2 micron element, and a prefilter placed before the stock one was running a 10 micron.

30 micron wouldnt really cut it as a prefilter but there is a big difference between 2 / 5 and 10 micron ones. Either way the units youve mentioned should have a working buzzer / alarm or alerting system as bloody hell thats the whole point of installing one of these units as the stock one does filter quite well, and if changed regularly wont let bugger all through. Its the water in the fuel system which does all of the damage so which ever unit you buy, make sure its got a decent in-cab alarm to alert for water, which is saving it from going into the stock one which is crap for water filtration and large volumes of water in the fuel.

Ive gone with the racor 445 as it has a very high flow rate and had all the water sensor and detection stuff built in and hooked it up to a cheap buzzer / alarm i got off evil bay. Its gone off twice now on big trips and saved anything going further into the stock one...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Alby on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 6:17 +0000

I agree, there is nothing wrong with the OEM filtering system so I see no benefit in filtering the filter but a potential downside of damaging fuel pump
Water ingress is the killer punch so IMO unless you add a audible alarm type system you may as well do nothing
Last edited by Alby on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 6:29 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Alby

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems