Racor fuel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Racor fuel filter

Postby Swinder on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 4:10 +0000

G'day Boys

I've installed the FM 100 stanadyne water filter,its a ripper of a set up,I didnt install the buzzer,
Once a week i bleed the filters incase of water.if you drop the glass and break it you can still install the new filter ,it just wont have a water trap glass to have a visul inspection.
I'll be changing the filters every 10km
I've got dual batterys so i had to design a bracket that connected to the battery tray and over some sort of moduel.
Its got the 30mic filter.when it came to bleeding the FM100 I used the main filter and pumped like hell to get the diesel through.
I'm anal about getting water in the system :lol:
Swinder

Postby oggy on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 4:51 +0000

Like this:

http://www.dieselcare.com.au/images/sto ... ion-S3.pdf

I love the retrofit bracket, solves a lot of dramas.

Also an alarm option available, so you get a filter and alarm.

30mic filter if used as a pre filter, 2mic if used as a secondary.

I'm going to trial this on the 06 work hilux, and if it's all good I'll fit one to my new one (if it ever arrives).[/quote] Yep pretty much. Made my own bracket like swinder did as i also have duel battery tray. Only needed one 6in length of fuel line to set mine up and as for alarm you don't have to use the fuel manager 60mm gauge that only has a light in it. Any light will work. My auto elec installed a small chrome bessel led light near the spot for the second 12v plug (down near your demister) . I would STRONGLY recommend that if your going to go to the trouble of doing this put a buzzer in as well. Then no one can claim that they never saw the light :? :?P.s. 10 micron will be fine. Oem is only 10.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Alby on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 6:24 +0000

Swinder wrote:G'day Boys

I've installed the FM 100 stanadyne water filter,its a ripper of a set up,I didnt install the buzzer,
Once a week i bleed the filters incase of water.if you drop the glass and break it you can still install the new filter ,it just wont have a water trap glass to have a visul inspection. :lol:

Hi Swinder, not having a go at you but this is the bit that does not make sense to me. If you pick up a load of bad fuel, you are going to have a problem 50 klms down the road, checking your filter once a week will not stop that?? The same engine damage will occur as if you had no second filter at all.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby qldminer on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 6:43 +0000

that FM100 system in a kit looks good. any idea how much the kit costs (i know the racor 445R is about 160 from america + post)?. just have to get a buzzer hooked up to it which im sure isnt difficult.

might be one of those thing you install at the same time as dual batteries to save hassles down the track

hmm
qldminer

Postby bluehilux on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 7:07 +0000

oggy wrote:Like this:

http://www.dieselcare.com.au/images/sto ... ion-S3.pdf

I love the retrofit bracket, solves a lot of dramas.

Also an alarm option available, so you get a filter and alarm.

30mic filter if used as a pre filter, 2mic if used as a secondary.

I'm going to trial this on the 06 work hilux, and if it's all good I'll fit one to my new one (if it ever arrives).
Yep pretty much. Made my own bracket like swinder did as i also have duel battery tray. Only needed one 6in length of fuel line to set mine up and as for alarm you don't have to use the fuel manager 60mm gauge that only has a light in it. Any light will work. My auto elec installed a small chrome bessel led light near the spot for the second 12v plug (down near your demister) . I would STRONGLY recommend that if your going to go to the trouble of doing this put a buzzer in as well. Then no one can claim that they never saw the light :? :?P.s. 10 micron will be fine. Oem is only 10.[/quote]

Nice one,

Can you please advise whether this (ultratrick) bracket will fit if I've also got an ARB dual battery tray?

On the old 06 work truck I'm all good, but the new one will have dual batteries.

I really want something that's well mounted and looks OEM.
bluehilux

Postby oggy on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 8:19 +0000

Your on your own with the bracket :?: I made my own, piece of piss ,bit of thin flat 75mm plate. Drill four holes ,bend in vice, paint ,install :) no need to move oem unit, arb tray has holes at front above the module that you have to move from firewall when you install tray.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Swinder on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 5:26 +0000

Alby wrote:
Swinder wrote:G'day Boys

Once a week i bleed the filters incase of water.if you drop the glass and break it you can still install the new filter ,it just wont have a water trap glass to have a visul inspection. :lol:

Hi Swinder, not having a go at you but this is the bit that does not make sense to me. If you pick up a load of bad fuel, you are going to have a problem 50 klms down the road, checking your filter once a week will not stop that?? The same engine damage will occur as if you had no second filter at all.

G'day Alby
I know where you're coming from,I wasnt sure if to add a buzzer because the main filter has got one already.
I know if you catch it in the first filter with the sensor it would stop any engine damage.
But as for draining the filter once a week doesn't hurt.
Swinder

Postby qldminer on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 5:54 +0000

how would you rate the FM100 against the racor 445R2?.

diesel care in towoomba gave me a price of $320 for the kit, which is pretty appealing, its almost the same as getting the racor unit from america with all the bits and bobs.
qldminer

Postby Alby on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 4:44 +0000

Swinder wrote:
Alby wrote:
Swinder wrote:
G'day Alby
I know where you're coming from,I wasnt sure if to add a buzzer because the main filter has got one already.
I know if you catch it in the first filter with the sensor it would stop any engine damage.
But as for draining the filter once a week doesn't hurt.

Have you already fitted a buzzer to the main (OEM) filter? Agree there is no harm in draining the filter
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Alby on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 4:46 +0000

qldminer wrote:how would you rate the FM100 against the racor 445R2?.

diesel care in towoomba gave me a price of $320 for the kit, which is pretty appealing, its almost the same as getting the racor unit from america with all the bits and bobs.

On the Landcuiser site they all seem to use either the Waterwatch or the FM100 with alarm and 30 micron filter, some tried the finer filters and had trouble with motor starved of fuel.
Alby

Postby Swinder on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 5:58 +0000

G'day Alby
No I havent fitted the buzzer,I was told by toyota dealer its a waste, because there is no sensor that can detect water in diesel while the ute is in motion because the diesel is mixed with water,the only way it can detect water is if its straight water or the diesel has settled down and the water has sunk to the bottom.so I'm f#$ked what i should do.
thats why i'm paranoed about water in the system.what would you do any ideas :?:
Swinder

Postby Alby on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 6:10 +0000

Yeah dunno Swinder but I have heard of a few people that have had there buzzer go off whilst driving so they must do something.
I am definitely fitting one to my new truck when it arrives. Pretty sure I will go with the Waterwatch system
Alby

Postby bluehilux on Fri, 26 Oct 2012 7:59 +0000

Swinder wrote:G'day Alby
No I havent fitted the buzzer,I was told by toyota dealer its a waste, because there is no sensor that can detect water in diesel while the ute is in motion because the diesel is mixed with water,the only way it can detect water is if its straight water or the diesel has settled down and the water has sunk to the bottom.so I'm f#$ked what i should do.
thats why i'm paranoed about water in the system.what would you do any ideas :?:

I actually don't believe that.

Water doesn't mix readily with diesel, running or not.

Those filters are made to make the water drop out of them, where the sensor will pick it up.

Remember Toyota is unlikely to admit any shortcomings of their OEM filter setup, and to say you need an extra water separator would be doing just that.

I ordered the Hilux kit today complete with bracket and buzzer.

I got the PRE filter kit which comes with a 30mic cartridge.
bluehilux

Postby Swinder on Sat, 27 Oct 2012 4:55 +0000

bluehilux wrote:
Swinder wrote:G'day Alby

I actually don't believe that.

Water doesn't mix readily with diesel, running or not.

Those filters are made to make the water drop out of them, where the sensor will pick it up.

Remember Toyota is unlikely to admit any shortcomings of their OEM filter setup, and to say you need an extra water separator would be doing just that.

I ordered the Hilux kit today complete with bracket and buzzer.

I got the PRE filter kit which comes with a 30mic cartridge.

Ya You got me thinking about it more,so this week I'm going to terraintammer to buy the sensor and hopefully
Install it cup wekend if its not to hard
Swinder

Postby qldminer on Sat, 27 Oct 2012 6:29 +0000

well i bought the FM100 from diesel care, arrived today, looks like a good unit.

pick up the car tomorrow so that is going to be the first mod i install myself, so very slim chance of any bad fuel problems (touch wood!!).

its a pre-filter with a 30micron filter in it and water bowl. may install a buzzer, but i figure it might be just as easy to pop the hood each time i fill up and take a peep - surely the bowl wouldnt fill up in 1 fill - that'd be ridiculous.

do i use the buzzer / light kit or is their a easy setup for this?
qldminer

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:18 +0000

qldminer wrote:well i bought the FM100 from diesel care, arrived today, looks like a good unit.

pick up the car tomorrow so that is going to be the first mod i install myself, so very slim chance of any bad fuel problems (touch wood!!).

Hey there. Trying to decide between Racor and Fuel manager systems. Any idea if the FM100 bracket would fit with an ARB dual battery kit installed? Looks like it might be a tight fit... hopefully not impossible
DeadlyBeast

Postby qldminer on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 5:35 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:
qldminer wrote:well i bought the FM100 from diesel care, arrived today, looks like a good unit.

Hey there. Trying to decide between Racor and Fuel manager systems. Any idea if the FM100 bracket would fit with an ARB dual battery kit installed? Looks like it might be a tight fit... hopefully not impossible

im also hoping that to, i havent got one installed yet but i want to get dual bats in the future. but the filter is a must have for peace of mind with all the various threads ive read, and regardless of toyotas "fix".

when ive installed it ill take a picture of the engine bay and try and rough up some dimensions to get your bearings. then you should be able to get a picture if it will fit or not.
qldminer

Postby bluehilux on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 8:40 +0000

oggy wrote:Alby, there is a glass bowl on the bottom of mine with the water sensor in it . Basically if you get water in there it will set of the alarm, which i got the auto elec to wire up using a seperate led light (as the one that came with it was large and cumbersome.) and a piezo buzzer that is as loud as all f#*k . So loud even a woman should shit herself :? :? :? Its not the stopping the water that i was worried about , more so a reasonable amount of time to safely pull up. Bluehilux, i am just pulling my finger out about photos and a build :? , but it was a FM 100 stanadyne water sensor filter unit , using a 10 micron wix filter. Cost, around the sameish as a racor,(280 mark ,i think) and got it from local (sells every thing) shop in town. I do have a number for there rep in Albury if that will help you :?: :?: PM me if you need it 8-)

Mate,

Mine just arrived this morning and I'm very impressed with the whole kit.

I also have an unused water watch kit here as well that I bought a couple of years back for our mine hilux when it blew up, then didn't use.

The retrofit bracket is an absolute work of art! I've had a fair bit to do with laser cutting, and this thing is the shit.

Yes, the light assy is ridiculously big (WTF were they thinking?), and I too will replace it with a 1/4" buzzer/led combo.

Unfortunately I can't fit it on the old girl as she's got all manner of solenoids/breakers/ect in the spot already for the mines gear, so I'll save it for my new one.

I'll fit the water watch to the old girl.

I got the prefilter kit with 30mic filter so as to give some filtration "staging" as well as coalescing of dissolved water.

For me, this is the solution hands down.

It's totally trick, every nut/bolt, even a little tube of sealant (sorry, don't mean to cream my pants over it, but certainly a "halfer").

Now only one question...

WHY THE FCK DON'T TOYOTA JUST FIT THIS FROM NEW???
bluehilux

Postby qldminer on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 9:45 +0000

haha +1000000 bluehilux, just installed mine. was an absolute breeze. here are some pictures of it installed.

just hooked her up, primed it, and ran the engine for about 10min just to get the fuel flowing through the new filter and into the toyo and into the engine.

just from this first impression i recommend this kit so highly. it is tight in there, but it makes use of the space, doesnt clutter up the area for a 2nd battery (i think)

it cost me 320bucks which included the 30micron pre filter kit, express postage and a replacement 30micron filter.

i didnt get any buzzer or light yet. still looking for that how to step by step instructions for it, but for now. this will do ill just check it every now and again
qldminer

Postby Alby on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:47 +0000

They look very nice setups, who did you end up buying them from??
Alby

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems