Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Postby oldmick on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 8:01 +0000

thanks roo for the info , I will make a note of it for future reference

mick
oldmick

Postby mattwhite on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:15 +0000

You'd have to think the seats were leaking skog. Would be good to see under the rocker cover.
mattwhite

Postby Talktheroo on Thu, 27 Feb 2014 5:23 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Roo we really appreciate your efforts on the forums and I've been watching your work over on PTC well done mate. Just recently was speaking to a plumber mate of mine who has a 2wd hilux. Went in for a service they apparently replaced the injectors then less than 1000kms later it seized on the F1 on a trip down from the central coast. The fella doesn't have a lot of mechanical aptitude but sounds like a bust to me. Quoted a $14000 repair job, will report back when I know the facts.
Cheers Mark

Ye Mark, I would have to know the full story, as you said, on that one.
It's pretty well, case by case, any way.
Get back to me on PM or the open forum, my mate.
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby swhilux on Tue, 04 Mar 2014 8:14 +0000

Roo
Talktheroo,
I have fitting hold of a Snapon Solus pro scan tool with the current software. We have found pilot learn but can't find the injector compensation test. Any ideas?
swhilux

Postby dano85 on Tue, 04 Mar 2014 8:57 +0000

Hi John

I’m keen to get my injectors tested (feedback values etc.) and i am keen to have someone who knows what they are talking about look at it and I am not confident in my local Toyota dealer, due to past experiences with them. Where are you located? I’m in southern Sydney. Can you recommend anyone close to me if your workshop isn’t?
A little history on the car is 2010 D4D and has 85,000km on the clock and has had regular fuel filter changes and servicing by Toyota until a year ago when I started doing oil and filters myself and I check the oil pick up each service and is always clean.
When the car had 50,000 km on the clock Toyota sold me as an extra on my standard service an injector flush and cleaning service where they run a special chemical through the injectors, I reluctantly allowed them to do it as I was sceptical as it wasn’t in the service manual.
Since then the car on warm-humid days in the afternoon when I drive home from work has a very distinct rattle or louder than normal operation noise at 2000rpms and doesn’t seem to go away for 15-20mins or so, sometimes it sounds as tho it doesn’t go away at all? The strange thing is when it’s cold in the morning or just cold days it sound smooth as silk.
It went back to Toyota for a test not long after they serviced it over nite but they told me it was fine and did not supply me with print outs.
I am wondering if it’s normal for the motor to sound like this when it’s humid. Maybe I never noticed it until the injector clean. I have also noticed the occasional puff of smoke if I give it the berries in the humid afternoons. Car also always has clean air filters and map sensors, the only thing I need to do is clean the egr.
I’m just confused what I should do because everyone else complains about cold rattles.
Sorry for the long winded post and appreciate any advice you can give.
Cheers
Dano.
dano85

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:04 +0000

swhilux wrote:Roo
Talktheroo,
I have fitting hold of a Snapon Solus pro scan tool with the current software. We have found pilot learn but can't find the injector compensation test. Any ideas?

It's not a separate test. It's in live or current data. Measured as mm3. A +/- measurement for each cylinder. About 2/3 the way down the data list from memory.
mattwhite

Postby BDG on Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:31 +0000

Dano;

we're (Baileys Diesel Group) are located in Wollongong if that is any help. TalktheRoo is a mobile mechanic based out of Brisbane, so whilst he is mobile, I'm not sure if he's 'that' mobile :)

matt
BDG

Postby dano85 on Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:47 +0000

BDG wrote:Dano;

we're (Baileys Diesel Group) are located in Wollongong if that is any help. TalktheRoo is a mobile mechanic based out of Brisbane, so whilst he is mobile, I'm not sure if he's 'that' mobile :)

matt
Ahh yea the travel time might be a bit of a killer. Im in engadine so not far from the gong.

How much would the necisary testing be to sus out my injectors? you can pm me if you dont want to post here.
is this somthing you would recomend having checked out?
dano85

Postby BDG on Wed, 05 Mar 2014 4:33 +0000

I'd say that with a Pilot Learn done at the same time, we could very well fix these issues all at the same time whilst we're completing the tests. It should only take an hour or so - and unlike many industries, we've kept our hourly rate down at $90+ an hour.
BDG

Postby dano85 on Wed, 05 Mar 2014 7:16 +0000

BDG wrote:I'd say that with a Pilot Learn done at the same time, we could very well fix these issues all at the same time whilst we're completing the tests. It should only take an hour or so - and unlike many industries, we've kept our hourly rate down at $90+ an hour.

Ok sounds good ill give you guys a buz later in the week to book in a time.
Cheers
dano85

Postby Farrout on Sat, 08 Mar 2014 1:39 +0000

BIGFOOTJR wrote:
Farrout wrote:I've just come across this thread and it make for some concerning reading! I've had my 07 model for over 4 years now, having bought it with 140 000 km's on the clock. I have no way of knowing if these seats were ever changed, all I have is logbook stamps from Toyota. It will be due for a 240 000 km service in a month or so and I'm thinking it may be worth have them replaced for peace of mind? It is a lease vehicle so hoping they will approve any additional cost.

Any advice would be great.

Get your injector feedback values checked, if they are within spec there is no problem. Always get the oil pickup screen inspected every oil change too.

Got the cable and checked the live data. Values came back as follows:
Injection Feedback Val #1 1.2 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #2 -0.8 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #3 -1.1 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #4 0.4 mm3/st
This was at operating temp.
Farrout

Postby Luxi46 on Sun, 09 Mar 2014 5:03 +0000

Those values are within spec. Still, as you stated, for peace of mind I'd replace the seats. Even if they've already been replaced, they should normally be done every 40-80.000km's together with the tappet check if I'm not mistaken.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krat on Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:48 +0000

Dropped the oil in my 07 today for its 80000km service and checked the oil pickup.
All looks nice and clean to me. :D :D
What do the rest of you think.

Krat

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:52 +0000

Luxi46 wrote:Those values are within spec. Still, as you stated, for peace of mind I'd replace the seats. Even if they've already been replaced, they should normally be done every 40-80.000km's together with the tappet check if I'm not mistaken.

Aren't the values supposed to be taken with the engine cold or below 40deg. C.
Skog07

Postby Kris on Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:22 +0000

My oil pressure light came on about 15 km out of town on Saturday night. I pulled over, checked the oil level then slowly drove home. Sunday morning I dropped the oil and the oil pickup was blocked. Last service it was fine. I went to super cheap, grabbed some new oil and engine flush, scraped what I could off the screen and idled it for 15minutes. Dumped the oil and the pickup still had some deposits on it that I could see.
Not 12 months ago I had new seats fitted as she was blowing a bit of smoke when parked with the nose down. I noticed about 2 weeks ago it was blowing a bit of smoke on start up again.
Anyway, can the sump be removed with the engine in the car to clean the pickup and sump out, or is it a job that requires the engine to be pulled out?
Cheers,
Kris
If I had a dog that looked like him, I'd shave it's arse and make it walk backwards.
Kris

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:06 +0000

It can be done in the ute but is a pain in the neck. I have a modified kero blaster that cleans the screen and sump then I conduct a oil flush and recheck the oil pick up with a bores scope camera. Works 9 times out of 10.
boxhead55

Postby Kris on Mon, 10 Mar 2014 2:42 +0000

Thanks Boxhead. I'll give that a go.
Cheers,
Kris
If I had a dog that looked like him, I'd shave it's arse and make it walk backwards.
Kris

Postby Luxi46 on Tue, 11 Mar 2014 8:28 +0000

Skog07 wrote:
Luxi46 wrote:Those values are within spec. Still, as you stated, for peace of mind I'd replace the seats. Even if they've already been replaced, they should normally be done every 40-80.000km's together with the tappet check if I'm not mistaken.

Aren't the values supposed to be taken with the engine cold or below 40deg. C.

As a starting point yes, but then the readings should continue until engine warm if possible. That's what I do at least. Draws a better picture of how it progresses instead of just a snapshot.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4sullima on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 9:28 +0000

Kris wrote:My oil pressure light came on about 15 km out of town on Saturday night. I pulled over, checked the oil level then slowly drove home. Sunday morning I dropped the oil and the oil pickup was blocked. Last service it was fine. I went to super cheap, grabbed some new oil and engine flush, scraped what I could off the screen and idled it for 15minutes. Dumped the oil and the pickup still had some deposits on it that I could see.
Not 12 months ago I had new seats fitted as she was blowing a bit of smoke when parked with the nose down. I noticed about 2 weeks ago it was blowing a bit of smoke on start up again.
Anyway, can the sump be removed with the engine in the car to clean the pickup and sump out, or is it a job that requires the engine to be pulled out?
Cheers,
Kris

Shite mate! That's very lucky that you were onto it quickly. So you are saying that this problem can still occur with the new coated seats??? :?
4sullima

Postby mattwhite on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:31 +0000

It wouldn't take much debris to be down on the surface the seat sits on or dirt on the injector for the whole process to start again. Cleanliness is critical with diesels. As ironic as that sometimes seems when you're black below the elbows. :lol:
mattwhite

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems