Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Postby StevenS on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 8:18 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:Injector pipes x 4 are an extra $300.00 trade.
If I wasn't doing anything to the EGR system, $1,030.00.
That includes the intercooler being serviced and a report on the condition of the EGR system.
Valve clearance check.
All new parts.
4 x Injector pipes.
4 x Injector seats (sheets).
4 x Injector seals.
5 x leakage pipe gaskets.
1 x cylinder head cover gasket.
4 x injector pipe holder seals.
4 x injector clamp bolt washers.
1 x gasket for intake air on intercooler.
All diagnostic work including a leakage test.
Initialization.
You can only use the injector pipes twice, and you have done this. Good call to replace the injector pipes.
Note, you don't have to take out the injectors to check them. The feedback values and the total injector volume. You do this with a diagnostic tool with the vehicle going from cold start up.
The Roo.

Baileys only charged me $220 inc GST for a full set of injector pipes.
StevenS

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 8:23 +0000

Ye, Steven, I will have to start getting pipes off Bailey's, this year. Or get my customers to.
$220.00, gee that's good.
That price up there, as you probably know, is Oldmac Toyota's price, at Cleveland, mate.
$80.00 is $80.00.
That would make this service, for me, $950.00. :o
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby tristan.robinson on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 9:18 +0000

The EGR in my hilux.
Took it to local mechanic (Riverina Off-road) who are TJM dealers. Great service.
Had them do air, oil, fuel filters, replace injectors with BDG, diff oils, checked the sump pickup, clean EGR and elbow, code injectors , and replace 1 injector line/ pipe for $1040.
The comp % readings prior were 5, 2.34, -1.6 , -1.07
New values were around -1 to 1.7

As soon as I turned the key you could tell how much smoother it was running.

Now to chase Toyota to fix the leaking wheel bearing after they replaced it 17,000km ago.
tristan.robinson

Postby ^Nicko on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 9:49 +0000

You got all that done for $1040 ???

the cost of 4 injectors from BDG was $1100 so that cant be right ?
^Nicko

Postby StevenS on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:18 +0000

Surely that's labour only
StevenS

Postby ^Nicko on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:53 +0000

maybe theres some confusion with changing injectors, where is was actually just changing seats.
^Nicko

Postby ^Nicko on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 5:16 +0000

Got it back $ 1418.00 and it was the seat on injector 1 that was causing the issue, as always seems to be the case. I feel like a got a bit ripped. Part of this price was $65 per injector to ultrasonic clean them or something.

Four new high pressure lines were $81 each
New seats and seals were $41 ish all up
And labour was $495. Then gst

What do you guys think ? It was at Sydney Diesel Service
^Nicko

Postby StevenS on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 8:27 +0000

For that much I would have bought a full set of bailey's injectors and swapped them out myself (about 5 hours work including lines if you havent done it before).

but if you aren't mechanically savy then there are a few things that can easily be stuffed up if you're not careful, so as long as the problems are gone it's money well spent
StevenS

Postby ^Nicko on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:12 +0000

It is running a bit better, the cold knock seemed less. I wont really know until the morning when i start it up in the driveway.

I have been considering writing to fair trading and Toyota about all of this, considering the evidence of the recalls overseas and what not and now my experience of taking it to Toyota twice and them telling me there was no problem and having no idea of a seat seal fault, i mean i even left it with them over night and they couldnt produce the smokey startup whereas Sydney Diesel said they started it in the morning and the workshop filled up.

Have guys like you Roo, Steven, Boxhead and BDG who seem to have a bit of knowledge on this tried to take it any further ?

Do you think its worth trying or would it be a waist of time ?

I personally think that if a sub-standard copper washer was used and identified to be a manufacturing fault then Toyota should be liable for any rectification
^Nicko

Postby StevenS on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 5:10 +0000

^Nicko wrote:It is running a bit better, the cold knock seemed less. I wont really know until the morning when i start it up in the driveway.

I have been considering writing to fair trading and Toyota about all of this, considering the evidence of the recalls overseas and what not and now my experience of taking it to Toyota twice and them telling me there was no problem and having no idea of a seat seal fault, i mean i even left it with them over night and they couldnt produce the smokey startup whereas Sydney Diesel said they started it in the morning and the workshop filled up.

Have guys like you Roo, Steven, Boxhead and BDG who seem to have a bit of knowledge on this tried to take it any further ?

Do you think its worth trying or would it be a waist of time ?

I personally think that if a sub-standard copper washer was used and identified to be a manufacturing fault then Toyota should be liable for any rectification

Toyota's official stance in Australia is that it isn't a real problem and tells people who have had issue's that they're an isolated case. The greatest difficulty posed in approaching Toyota was getting enough people together, all of whom have had a problem with seals/injectors, and making a fuss. Outrage on internet forums doesn't go very far with the mass media nor does it stand a chance in any legal proceedings. Some people have had luck with compensation from Toyota but they've still had to actually take them to court before Toyota would finally concede a settlement.

The only good thing to result from this is that the Hilux owners community is generally quite savy about all these issues now, and with great companies like Bailey's supplying high quality injectors at a bargain price the only real chances of these engines failing comes from now conducting semi-frequent inspections of the injector feedback/total volume readings, and the oil pickup screen (as well as smoke on nose-down startups). Generally checking on these every 6 months (service intervals) will be enough to catch these issues before they become a big problem.
StevenS

Postby tristan.robinson on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 2:23 +0000

To clarify the 1040 was everything except BDG injectors, so 2140 all up really. It's running like a dream now ...
tristan.robinson

Postby BDG on Sat, 11 Jan 2014 3:01 +0000

Thats Awesome Tristan, Glad to hear it.

Over in NZ currently on Holidays, and scored about 5 minutes without the MRS, so i best be quick LOL

$65 to test injectors you already know were ok i'd be pretty pissed with. As Roo states, if we were to do all the jobs, including egr clean replace lines and so on, we'd be around $900-1050 somewhere... We really don't do lines often, if you're careful, its not really required. Injector testing was not required, so really i think there was a little 'money grabbing' going on, but on the plus side, you didn't have to pay too much for bullshit servicing you didn't require from toyota. So positives and negatives and all that.

Glad to hear your happy and that the end result was the right one!

Anyway guys, I'm off! (to do a triathlon next Saturday no less = Bloody stupid idea really)
matt
BDG

Postby swhilux on Sun, 12 Jan 2014 9:54 +0000

Just a quick note guys. If an injector(s) is out of spec will I be using more fuel? Also does anyone have experience with Stanadyne fuel additive?
swhilux

Postby BDG on Sun, 12 Jan 2014 4:07 +0000

Not Necessarily...

Generally speaking, as they wear out they will increase the fuel consumption as the little holes in the nozzles open up over time, and therefore don't atomize the fuel as well.

That being said, we've supplied ours + new injectors in the past and had the car DROP the number of k's per tank... its happened 3 times, and in all honesty, just cannot get work out why (we've changed nearly everything on the car, including injectors, Air flow, boost... Blah Blah Blah...

As with the fuel additive, nope > sorry.
BDG

Postby BDG on Sun, 12 Jan 2014 4:09 +0000

tristan.robinson wrote:Image

The EGR in my hilux.
Took it to local mechanic (Riverina Off-road) who are TJM dealers. Great service.
Had them do air, oil, fuel filters, replace injectors with BDG, diff oils, checked the sump pickup, clean EGR and elbow, code injectors , and replace 1 injector line/ pipe for $1040.

Now to chase Toyota to fix the leaking wheel bearing after they replaced it 17,000km ago.

By the Way Trist,

Did you clean out the whole intake manifold? Sometimes the biggest issues are the little runners into the head itself.
BDG

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 12 Jan 2014 4:43 +0000

got any tips for taking off the lower intake manifold BDG?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby BDG on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 3:17 +0000

Get a long extension LOL! I'll get one of our guys to post up here. To be perfectly honest, its been a bloody long time since I have personally done one. Just see it all the time when I do actually get into the workshop!
BDG

Postby tristan.robinson on Wed, 15 Jan 2014 7:13 +0000

BDG wrote:
tristan.robinson wrote:Image

The EGR in my hilux.

By the Way Trist,

Did you clean out the whole intake manifold? Sometimes the biggest issues are the little runners into the head itself.

I got the mechanic to use his judgement; he said there was a bit in there but it wasn't too bad. For the extra dollars i said not to worry
tristan.robinson

Postby Talktheroo on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 7:47 +0000

Hellbound wrote:got any tips for taking off the lower intake manifold BDG?

Kill yourself.
No, only jokin. :lol:
There are six bolts that hold the intake manifold on. One is easy, the rest are not.
Good luck on your mission.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby Talktheroo on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 7:50 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:
Hellbound wrote:got any tips for taking off the lower intake manifold BDG?

Kill yourself.
No, only jokin. :lol:
There are six bolts that hold the intake manifold on. One is easy, the rest are not.
Good luck on your mission.
The Roo.

Now that post by the Roo there, was not helpful, at all. :lol:
Look it's not an easy job. PM me, and I will talk to you on the phone about it. That's if you want the information.
Catch you later, John.
Talktheroo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems