Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Postby Rich on Sat, 04 Aug 2012 8:11 +0000

I had my oil pick up screen checked by Toyota through the week and all is fine.

2005 SR5 D4D with 78K on the clock. Oil changes have been done every 5K and filters every 10K.

Never had injectors changed.
Rich

Postby luxzilla on Sun, 05 Aug 2012 5:17 +0000

Thanks for clearing that up Alby. I was under the impression that the so called
rattle of death was due to faulty injectors which are damaged due to the faulty seals... Don't know how I got that idea.. Lol..

. But I think I got the picture now, leaky seals are letting contaminants into the oil and clogging up the screen... But the faulty injector issue is NOT directly related to this.. Please correct me if I still hasn't got it.
luxzilla

Postby Alby on Sun, 05 Aug 2012 7:26 +0000

That is how I understand it as well
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Wing on Mon, 06 Aug 2012 9:22 +0000

luxzilla wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Alby. I was under the impression that the so called
rattle of death was due to faulty injectors which are damaged due to the faulty seals... Don't know how I got that idea.. Lol..

. But I think I got the picture now, leaky seals are letting contaminants into the oil and clogging up the screen... But the faulty injector issue is NOT directly related to this.. Please correct me if I still hasn't got it.

Two separate issues but not completely unrelated. One should make sure that correct seals instead of superseded seals, which caused blockage, are installed when changing the faulty injectors.
Wing

Postby ozeblue on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 7:16 +0000

Hey Alby hows it going,
Am I right understanding this discussion about the oil pickup/screen is about the mesh just inside the drain plug? (photo) It hardly lookes like a filter. If that gets blocked the oil must be pretty crook looks like you could run sand through it! I'm confused ,thats not difficult!! :?: :oops:
ozeblue

Postby mack on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 7:40 +0000

Two seperate issus -
injector washer leakage = oil contamination = oil screen blockage = engine seizure
faulty injector = poor performance/economy = possibly piston damage = possible engine failure
mack

Postby ozeblue on Sun, 19 Aug 2012 2:31 +0000

mack wrote:Two seperate issus -
injector washer leakage = oil contamination = oil screen blockage = engine seizure
faulty injector = poor performance/economy = possibly piston damage = possible engine failure

Hi Mack,
This is where I am confused, doen't all the oil run through the oil filter? Would'nt the oil filter become blocked, not the oil screen. Am I missing something, where does the oil screen fit into the system?
I'm open to a lesson on how it all works.
Cheers.
ozeblue

Postby Alby on Mon, 20 Aug 2012 8:48 +0000

ozeblue wrote:Hey Alby hows it going,
Am I right understanding this discussion about the oil pickup/screen is about the mesh just inside the drain plug? (photo) It hardly lookes like a filter. If that gets blocked the oil must be pretty crook looks like you could run sand through it! I'm confused ,thats not difficult!! :?: :oops:

Hi Ozeblue, The screen you refer to is correct and the carbon particles are like little ball bearings that block the filter and the motor seizes from oil starvation.
The pickup is before the filter so the filter would only filter the oil that gets past the mesh pickup screen.

I am no mechanic just going on what I have learnt and told by mechanic so happy to be corrected by those in the profession.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby bloke&tackle on Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:14 +0000

Ozeblue the sludgey stuff that is created by mixing engine oil with exhaust gas just sits in the bottom of the sump, and never gets filtered. Somehow blobs of it seem to find their way to the oil pick up strainer, but don't pass through.
I've seen the results of a small 2 cylinder industrial diesel that was breathing it's own exhaust gases due to the exhaust pointing at the air cleaner....the sump had to be removed with a grinder because the oil had become like bitumen once the engine died and cooled down. :shock:
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby bigtoe on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 8:55 +0000

Hey guys
I've recently bought an 07 sr5 which is just about to click 100k. I've noticed a knock between about 1500 and 2000 rpm when the engine is cold. Once the temp hits half way the knock completed disappears. Also under heavy acceleration ie towing a few bikes up a hill, a massive amount of "fuel" blows out of the back. Does this sound like injector knock or a seal issue as raised here. Tomorrow I will be checking my pick up as a precaution. Any advice would be great.
Thanks
bigtoe

Postby bigtoe on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 9:09 +0000

Hi people,
I've recently bought an 07 lux with just under 100 on the clock and have noticed a knocking noise when the engine Iis cold between about 1250 and 2000 rpm. Once the temp hits half he noise goes away. Also it seems to blow a fairly heavy amount of "fuel" out of the back under heavy acceleration. Is it likely to be the injector problems mentioned here? Tomorrow i will change he oil and check the pick up. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
bigtoe

Postby MarkYounger on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 9:34 +0000

Def sounds like your injectors are bad or on the way out. As far as the seals it is my understanding that the only tell is to check the pick-up screen. I have the same symptoms but when I recently pulled my injectors to check the number I saw I have the copper seals.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby bigtoe on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:10 +0000

Thanks. So off to the dealer to ask them for an injector report?
bigtoe

Postby bigtoe on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:37 +0000

Thanks. So off to the dealer to ask them for an injector report?

Oops. Sorry for double post. Phone refreshed and re posted.
bigtoe

Postby gue555 on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:47 +0000

I have heard of this problem even thou my local dealer had not. My oil light came on recently so i feared the worst, after they installed a second hand one and the same problem occured i installed a guage, problem is finding info on what the acceptable oil pressure ranges are......
gue555

Postby mully man on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 5:56 +0000

Hey bigtoe have had an 05 SR T/D manual dual cab for the last 4 years bought it with 75,000km on the clock and it is now around 175,000km. My car has always had a bit of clatter when cold at those same revs which disappears when warmed up- never does it at idle/startup or when car is warm only under acceleration when cold and between 1300-1900rpm- noise stops after a minute or two. Touch wood have never had an injector replaced or any other problems (except clock spring) car runs great averages 9L/100km around town- have always dropped the oil every 5000km and as of last time the pickup screen was spotless. The smoke blowing out the back could just be the normal diesel-soot even new cars do this under load up hills, but if in doubt get the dealer to have a look.
mully man

Postby bigtoe on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 9:25 +0000

Good to hear. The knock seems to be louder when pulling a load and is still noticeable until the temp hits half way. Fuel economy seems good. Trip computer says 7.2 usually but its way off. I get about 800 out of a tank which I think is 70 litres. Ill check the pick up tomorrow and probably get the injectors tested and go from there. The smoke out the back was when I was pulling two bikes and a heap of camping gear up a hill foot on the floor. My mates behind me rang and said it was throwing a smoke screen out.
bigtoe

Postby shaynejacks on Sat, 01 Sep 2012 5:09 +0000

Hi Guys,
Anyone ever swapped a 2010 1kd Hilux motor into a 2007 Hilux.
Mine has now been swapped including injectors, pump,ECU and ECU driver) but garage are having trouble getting their diagnostic equipment to talk to ECU. any ideas???? thanks
shaynejacks

Postby jackolux on Sat, 01 Sep 2012 6:58 +0000

Im on my 2nd set of injectors , yeah didn't get the DLC injectors , when they were replaced.

I have had them checked a couple of days ago , one was at + 2.4 still in spec ( spec is +/- 3 ) well within spec when warm ,
very noise @ 1800 - 2200 revs , or there abouts .

When cold I can drive through the noise to about 3000 + rpm , don't do it much cant stand the bloody clatter getting there .

So I dunno know , hate the bloody noise , but do I spend maybe $3500 for DLC injectors
( I'm told still may not be a permanent fix ) to fix something that is not technically broken ?

Stuffed if I know .
jackolux

Postby allo on Sun, 21 Oct 2012 6:20 +0000

Hi guys, here's my story.hope someone can help me.PLEEEASE!
o7 1kd dualcab bought from 2nd hand dealer 4 mths ago.Noticed cold rattles and thought was normal until noise got progressively louder, rang dealer and made him aware of noise within warranty period, he said spend $2500 on new injectors that should fix problem.
Noise was getting louder and a few puffs of black smoke on startup.Then 2 weeks ago doing 110 kmh oil light flashes on and then stays on! Horrible rattling, clanging.I shut down motor and roll to a standstill. Check oil and there is none.fill up with oil and limp car home.{happened not far from home}. Engine now has a distinct knock.
Took car to toyota tried to fix it. charged me $2000 for crankshaft seal , new injector seals and clean oil sump pick up screen.H ave now taken car to 5 different mechanics all with differing opinions.This is what they have said:
not big end bearing,noise is at cam shaft speed.
2 guys almost guarantee new injectors will fix it. car has average power and fuel consumption is pretty bad.
I am chasing dealer for reimbursment and repair just in case motor is stuffed. any thoughts???
allo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems