Sub tanks or Replacement?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Sub tanks or Replacement?

Postby rockman on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 6:12 +0000

Sorry , my mistake
130 liters and stainless , bolts into the tray just behind the head-board .

Cheers

Dual Cab Ute Fuel Tank 130Lt
Code: FTU130
Unit: KIT
Shipping Specifications:
Weight: 20 kg
Height: 400 mm
Width: 300 mm
Depth: 1340 mm
Price: $995.00 (Inc GST) (Plus Freight)
Description: Dual Cab Aux Fuel Tank 130Lt (Stainless Steel) Fits inside Ute Tray Kit includes filler and locking cap, mounting straps and manual tap to allow gravity refill of main tank
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby Surfseeker on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:08 +0000

So fella's
The more I look the keener I get on the Opposite Lock 70 litre sub tank.
What do you feel about the merits of an electronic pump to move the fuel between the auxillay and main fuel tanks?
As i mentioned in my earlier post I see this as a way to retain the use of my trip computer when increasing fuel capacity. However I am slightly concerned that I may be introducing unnecessay complexity (which will no doubt fail at some point) into something which would otherwise use gravity to feed the fuel. Unless something very strange happens, I recon gravity should prove to be pretty reliable!!!!
Surfseeker

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:47 +0000

I bought and installed an OL 70ltr sub tank in mine start of last month.. why do you need a fuel pump ? if you wanted to stop the fuel from the aux tank you could always put a tap in the fuel line.. but because the OL tank is higher it simply gravity feeds anyway.. mine seems to work perfectly..

so far ive done just over 1000kms and ive quarter of a tank left (city driving)..

I does add a lot of weight behind the rear axle though.. what leaves had you got ? i had the OEM leave with a 2" helper leaf in them to give the 2" lift, but found with the AUX tank it dropped the rear substantially.. so i put some 400kg OME leaves in it which is fine when the tank is full, but atm when its empty its sitting up at 3"... dosent affect handling or anything though so Im not stressed..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Surfseeker on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:47 +0000

Steve,
I have just the OEM leaves with extended greasable shackles and tough dog adjustable shocks.
From your reply it would seem likely that this mod may also involve changing the rear springs.
I was thinking of changing to tough dog leaves at some stage but to be honest my truck carries little weight in the rear and rides well as it is now so it hasn't exactly been top of the list. As you point out adding all that weight so far back would probablly change all that....

Yes, the idea was to stop fuel flow between the tanks. A tap would do this...but I would need to stop which is not really what I had in mind.
Surfseeker

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:58 +0000

well no.. you wouldnt have to stop if you put in an electric valve.. then you would only have to switch the button.. personally, i prefer to have the aux drain automatically into the main tank.. then my weight moves forward.. I also carry very little weight most of the time, but when i do i carry a lot.. plus trailers etc.. so replacing the leaves was an easy decision for me..

you do realise that extended shackles are not legal in australia ? you're MUCH better off replacing your leaves or adding an extra couple..

You'll find even if you add a 140lt replacement long range tank that you'll probably have to your leaves anyway..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby barraboy on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 9:20 +0000

Hi
I have the dprv80s-mk slimline Diesel Tank I use it as a sub tank for long trips it is gravity feed and I have fitted a tap so it can be turned on and off if I wish too.
www.enmachind.com.au/poly-rv-accessories.html#jump
its on page 10.
Dont know if this will help.
barraboy

Postby Surfseeker on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:03 +0000

An electronic valve....I didn't think of that!
That sounds like the solution I am after...
When you fill up does the main tank fill via the sub tank? if so I would imagine that i would have to ensure the valve was open when refuelling.
Other than that one thing I recon this is a very good solution overall.

About the same (145 litrre) capacity as a replacement tank.
Two seperate tanks.
No need to muck around with the factory fuel system (other than the feed)
Should retain trip computer functionality.

Its funny you brought up the shackles...I now remember that I put them in as a temporary thing to raise the rear when I changed the rear shocks for tough dog adjustables (I also have a tough dog front end). I ended up liking the ride and handling so much that I had completely forgotten that they were not supposed to be a permanant thing!!!
Now I think about it I am actually glad I didn't do them before as I can now get the correct ones to compensate for the extra fuel load. For that matter, a bit of extra lift would compensate for the spare wheel being a little lower.

This is sounding better all the time. I can feel my credit card trembling!
Surfseeker

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 1:18 +0000

Surfseeker wrote:An electronic valve....I didn't think of that!
That sounds like the solution I am after...
When you fill up does the main tank fill via the sub tank? if so I would imagine that i would have to ensure the valve was open when refuelling.
Other than that one thing I recon this is a very good solution overall.

No.. there is a large filling pipe that connects to a Y connector into the main filler tube, so both tanks fill evenly, then the aux tank has a smaller fuel hose to allow the gravity feed into the main tank, which is where you'd put your tap/valve.. no fuel ever needs to travel that pipe unless its filling the main tank.

Surfseeker wrote:
About the same (145 litrre) capacity as a replacement tank.
Two seperate tanks.
No need to muck around with the factory fuel system (other than the feed)
Should retain trip computer functionality.

Its funny you brought up the shackles...I now remember that I put them in as a temporary thing to raise the rear when I changed the rear shocks for tough dog adjustables (I also have a tough dog front end). I ended up liking the ride and handling so much that I had completely forgotten that they were not supposed to be a permanant thing!!!
Now I think about it I am actually glad I didn't do them before as I can now get the correct ones to compensate for the extra fuel load. For that matter, a bit of extra lift would compensate for the spare wheel being a little lower.

This is sounding better all the time. I can feel my credit card trembling!

hehe.. thats always the problem isnt it.. if you're going to fit it yourself, i REALLY recommend a hoist to do it on as positing the tank and being able to get your arms up to the filler position etc would be a real pita without one..

i cant remember how much much OL quote for install..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 4:27 +0000

Surfseeker wrote:So fella's

Scott, think about your rear axle weight while towing. I decided to go with the replacement tank as it would put less weight on the rear axle than a rear mounted tank even though I could have got a real cheap rear mounted tank at the time. Then being a true New Hilux Gentleman, I put Steve onto the bargain tank which I think is why he spent so long mounting up one tank (cos it was missing a few mounting bits....)
rodw

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 6:19 +0000

rodw wrote:
Surfseeker wrote:So fella's

Scott, think about your rear axle weight while towing. I decided to go with the replacement tank as it would put less weight on the rear axle than a rear mounted tank even though I could have got a real cheap rear mounted tank at the time. Then being a true New Hilux Gentleman, I put Steve onto the bargain tank which I think is why he spent so long mounting up one tank (cos it was missing a few mounting bits....)

:D yep.. a 'few' bits.. i had to manufacture EVERY piece ! ;).. I was lucky though cause i convinced my old man that he needed one too, so i got his mounting kit and copied all the parts before he got it ;).. then i had to fit his too though..

there are for's and against's for both solutions... for me .. im happy with the aux tank.. and when im offroad my spare is in the tub anyway, so ive got no issues with departure angles etc..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:25 +0000

Steve9R wrote: :D yep.. a 'few' bits.. i had to manufacture EVERY piece ! ;).. I was lucky though cause i convinced my old man that he needed one too, so i got his mounting kit and copied all the parts before he got it ;).. then i had to fit his too though..

there are for's and against's for both solutions... for me .. im happy with the aux tank.. and when im offroad my spare is in the tub anyway, so ive got no issues with departure angles etc..

Steve

I tend to agree, personally I like the idea of the rear tank and the one you got was very tempting but in the end I decided to pay a Sh!tload more for a full priced main tank because I will be towing with it and I did not have that much rear axle weight left....

I told Vern I'd be able to sell the tank he had and I did. Great idea getting your old man to pay full price for one so you had the parts to copy...

Having seen the pics of yours, I don't really think the departure angle is significantly compromised even with the spare there as there is other low stuff hanging down.
rodw

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:47 +0000

rodw wrote:I tend to agree, personally I like the idea of the rear tank and the one you got was very tempting but in the end I decided to pay a Sh!tload more for a full priced main tank because I will be towing with it and I did not have that much rear axle weight left....

I told Vern I'd be able to sell the tank he had and I did. Great idea getting your old man to pay full price for one so you had the parts to copy...

Having seen the pics of yours, I don't really think the departure angle is significantly compromised even with the spare there as there is other low stuff hanging down.

yeah i still reckon they're a great idea, and thanks again for the lead, it was all very coincidental the way it worked out.... i will still remove my spare wheel and have it in the tub as normal, as i dont want to risk staking it whilst offroad.. the only other thing i will do is get the rubber off a small rubber wheel and cut it so the spare wheel chain holder fit it so i can brace it up under the aux tank to help brace it in place when the spare isnt there..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:57 +0000

Steve, could you just glue some rubber sheet onto the top of the bracket on the chain? Might be easier and cheaper.

From memory (I try not to take my spare off as it can be expensive!) you could attach some rubber and not interfere with the lip on that bracket that holds the tyre up there. In fact you might even be able to get some self adhesive rubber strips from Clark rubber and stick them onto the tank. They won't get in the way of the spare I don't think.
rodw

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:14 +0000

hmmm not sure whether stick on rubber strips would be strong enough when you pull the chain up tight.. i wanted something under that bracket that didnt affect the lip bit.. but still enables me to pull it up tight against the tank..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:29 +0000

Steve9R wrote:hmmm not sure whether stick on rubber strips would be strong enough when you pull the chain up tight.. i wanted something under that bracket that didnt affect the lip bit.. but still enables me to pull it up tight against the tank..

Steve

So stick some ruber sheeting to the bracket, not the stick on stuff, 5mm sheet or something thicker.
rodw

Postby Dluxv6 on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 5:58 +0000

Rod
can you enlighten me about rear axle weight
whats the difference if Aux tank fitted (70 kgs) against having 3-4 jerry cans sitting in tub 70-80 kgs

Cheers Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 6:33 +0000

Because the sub tank is behind the rear axle, all the weight will be on the rear axle plus a bit of weight will transfer from the front axle due to the cantilever effect. With the main tank, some of the weight is forward of the axle so som eof the weight should be carried by the already overleaoded front axle.

I don't think this is too much of a drama until you hook on a heavy trailer onto the tow bar and the extra 150 kg's is on the towbar even further behind the rear axle than the sub tank, so even a bit more weight is transferred from the front to the rear axle.

Anyway, my loads are pushing the limit, and my caravan is not too far away, so I was conscious of this hence my decision to replace the main tank.
rodw

Postby hodgo81 on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:44 +0000

barraboy wrote:Hi
I have the dprv80s-mk slimline Diesel Tank I use it as a sub tank for long trips it is gravity feed and I have fitted a tap so it can be turned on and off if I wish too.
http://www.enmachind.com.au/poly-rv-acc ... .html#jump
its on page 10.
Dont know if this will help.

I'm interested in this option, did it fit well under the tray? or did you have to raise the tray higher to fit it?

I believe (on a single or extra cab) if you mounted this tank at the front under the tray you would have less rear axle weight Rodw is talking about.

If you had this bolted directly to the bottom of the tray I imagine it would be hard to get a bit of a fill hose sorted that is higher than the tank so that you could fill it right up?
hodgo81

Postby Surfseeker on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 3:28 +0000

Steve,
Have you had any problems, particurlarly leaks, in either of the two sub tanks you fitted.
Anyone else got one of these? Happy with it?

I have just booked my vehicle in to have one fitted but was spooked somewhat by one of their dealers (the tank is imported form South Africa by Dollium so it isn't exclusively an opposite lock product) saying that they have had nothing but trouble with them and have had to stop installing them.
I must say this did seem to contradict a lot of other information but I thought I should at least ask before shelling out the cash...

Im all honesty I doubt that anyone would bother to fabricate a tank from stainless steel (which this tank apparantly is) if they were trying to cut corners regarding the production cost.

Lastly, still undecided whether to fit a shut off valve or not. I can see pros and cons both ways (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) so any opinions are most welcome.
Surfseeker

Postby VMN on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 4:34 +0000

I would not be too stressed. Dolium was owned by an OL Director and they sold it on so while most of their customers are still OL, they will now sell to other stores. The same happend with 4WD Accessories in WA.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems