Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Postby Rich on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:28 +0000

Saw an article in the Townsville Bulletin yesterday about this (in the 'Ask Smithy' motoring section).

A gentleman from Berry in NSW wrote in about his melted piston in his D4D Prado as a result of this problem.

Rich.
Rich

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:09 +0000

Checked my oil pick up the other week. All clear.
I took a photo without the help of and endoscope so not the best.

The accounts of those who have experienced engine failure makes me wonder what conditions made the injector seals vulnerable and eventually to fail.
If those who have had failures/seen the oil screen partially block, or know what conditions will lead to seal failure could share some information about their engines perhaps a trend will emerge that will help others identify possible causes to seal failure.
My engine is an 07/2007 auto.
Done over 80K - mostly in very hot conditions in the top end. Lots of wet weather too.
I drive my car conservatively, rarely opening it up over 3000 revs.
No heavy towing - just the quadbike in the back of the tray.
Only done oil changes every 10,000km(until recently joining newhilux).
Can anyone else think of factors that would cause some seals to fail but not others?
Or is it just luck of the draw???

I don't really want to fork out to replace injector seals but if Toyota wont come to the party perhaps that is the best option.

DeadlyBeast

Postby Alby on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:33 +0000

Good to see yours is clean also, my Lux is the same age as yours with 140k on it and my pickup is as clean as yours. I don't see the need to be replacing the seals if you don't have a problem, just continue to monitor the situation for peace of mind.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 1:29 +0000

Alby wrote:Good to see yours is clean also, my Lux is the same age as yours with 140k on it and my pickup is as clean as yours. I don't see the need to be replacing the seals if you don't have a problem, just continue to monitor the situation for peace of mind.

Thanks Alby.
For me its a bit nerve racking waiting in between oil services to see if the problem is detected in time. Not sure how much damages would occur between visual checks and how evident the problem may be at the bottom of the sump.
If a seal fails how long (km or hours) would it take until the oil screen becomes clogged? How much damage to the engine occurs during this period before it is seen thru the plug hole?
I note that you have a SR5 also. I haven't checked the models of those that have experienced total failure but wonder if SR5 models have different injector seals installed...
DeadlyBeast

Postby jimO on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 1:52 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:I note that you have a SR5 also. I haven't checked the models of those that have experienced total failure but wonder if SR5 models have different injector seals installed...

i would doubt it
jimO

Postby Bushbound on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 2:46 +0000

I've just checked mine and all is ok, 2005 SR with 85000km.
DeadlyBeast wrote:If a seal fails how long (km or hours) would it take until the oil screen becomes clogged? How much damage to the engine occurs during this period before it is seen thru the plug hole?

This is the big question and I'm sure the forum is going to give the quickest answer as we have so many people checking their pick up screens and some unlucky person is going to be able to say 'clean screen at ??? km, blocked or signs of carbon deposits at ???km' - Just hope it isn't me.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby Alby on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 2:48 +0000

As I understand it and I think it is posted earlier in this thread that Aust and NZ get a different spec seal to the Euro models which stands to reason why we are not experiencing this issue on the scale of other countries and I don't think it has anything to do with spec levels so would all be the same here in Aust.
If there was a leaking seal, would'nt it be a carbon build up over time?, I don't think it is an issue that would arrise and cause a failure in between oil change intervals, the problem is oil starvation from a blocked pickup so I don't think that would occur in 5 or 10K between oil changes.
I am no mechanic so maybe hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm this but that is how I understand it.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 3:20 +0000

I would have to totally agree with the above post, but stranger things have happened i guess so i think this check should done as a regular item on the list to do every oil change just incase...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby felix on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 1:25 +0000

Just for the record........had injectors replaced recently, lux was blowing a lot of foul smelling black smoke on startup, just done first oil change since injectors and checked oil pickup, looks like new no buildup whatsoever.
felix

Postby Monaz on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 1:34 +0000

FYI: Im about to head off and pick up my truck with new injectors....pistons 1, 2, 3 all seals gone, all injectors out of spec, loss of compression, blowing plenty of black sooty smoke constantly...noticable lack in power and huge fuel consumption. (less than 500k's a tank!) Cant wait to see how much this will improve things....

Update tomorrow...

Monaz
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby Hellbound on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:11 +0000

Were the just the seals to blame for all those symptoms ya rekon or that and something else?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Elrico on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 6:08 +0000

Well my lux has done 254,000kms. The mileage is very constant (and better since the chip it went in!), only throws smoke when hard accelerating, but thats just the computer over compensating the A/F mixture on hard acceleration, if i had a guess. I will be dropping the oil in 1500kms and checking this myself. No signs of any foul play here, but she gets a oil / oil filter / fuel filter change every 5,000kms. I try leave nothing to chance!

End of the day, if she comes up clogged its not a hard fix. Drive it to Toyota, get them to clean the pickup, put new injector seals in and tell them they can pay for it when its clear that the proof is in the pudding.

Wish me luck :lol:
Elrico

Postby Monaz on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:10 +0000

Well lads, I have to say that my engine sounds and drives ALOT better!! The cold start rattle is barely noticable and it sounds stronger through the rev range...when idling at the lights you can feel the difference in how much smoother it is, and quieter! Even under heavy throttle with the chip it blows very little smoke. I have a pic of the Injectors but need to upload it...Ill try tonight if I have time. I got it done out at B&M Fuel Injection in Auburn (Sydney). Top fellas...very helpful and honest. The cleanest and neatest workshop Ive ever seen...you can contact them on 02 9645 4088 if your in the market for some. (save you searching)

Cheers Monaz
Monaz

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:42 +0000

Monaz wrote:Well lads, I have to say that my engine sounds and drives ALOT better!! The cold start rattle is barely noticable and it sounds stronger through the rev range...when idling at the lights you can feel the difference in how much smoother it is, and quieter! Even under heavy throttle with the chip it blows very little smoke. I have a pic of the Injectors but need to upload it...Ill try tonight if I have time. I got it done out at B&M Fuel Injection in Auburn (Sydney). Top fellas...very helpful and honest. The cleanest and neatest workshop Ive ever seen...you can contact them on 02 9645 4088 if your in the market for some. (save you searching)

Cheers Monaz

Great to hear you got the truck seen before it died. Did the mechanics say what sort of seals were fitted and what sort they replaced them with? How much did the work cost? Will be good to see the pics of the injectors - =and seals too if you have them. Cheers - Steve
DeadlyBeast

Postby Monaz on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 3:17 +0000

G'day Steve,

Mate the whole job cost just over $2400...fitted and coded. Each injector was around the $450 mark. They are the genuine replacement DLC Denso ones. My truck had the original copper washers which have been replaced with the new steel ones. I'll probably get the pic up tomorrow for you that are interested...

Monaz
Monaz

Postby Elrico on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:02 +0000

Im interested as to how much it would cost to replace just the injector seals.......as having a few km's on mine it'd be something that would help me sleep easier :D
Elrico

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:18 +0000

Elrico wrote:Well my lux has done 254,000kms. The mileage is very constant (and better since the chip it went in!), only throws smoke when hard accelerating, but thats just the computer over compensating the A/F mixture on hard acceleration, if i had a guess. I will be dropping the oil in 1500kms and checking this myself. No signs of any foul play here, but she gets a oil / oil filter / fuel filter change every 5,000kms. I try leave nothing to chance!

End of the day, if she comes up clogged its not a hard fix. Drive it to Toyota, get them to clean the pickup, put new injector seals in and tell them they can pay for it when its clear that the proof is in the pudding.

I wish you luck mate, but getting Toyota to pay for anything after 254,000km, you will need more than luck. ;)
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Monaz on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:25 +0000

Elrico, the best way to tell is that if you park nose down for 10-20 mins and get white smoke on start up, then yes def change the seals....
Monaz

Postby dazzah on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:46 +0000

Hi Guys
Just an update on my injectors...myself and a mate from work replaced the 4 injectors and seals in my 05 hilux last friday...took us about 2 - 2.5 hrs to change them...2 were covered in carbon, 1 was fairly stuck in there...and 2 were cleanish...they had the bronze coloured washers...the new ones had the silver coloured washers...and sorry i completely forgot to take pics :(
Took it down toyota straight after and they programmed the ecu with the injector numbers...Mudgee toyota was pretty helpful...was happy with their service.
The difference is very noticable...before the change i had rough cold start, lots of white smoke, very noisy, loss of power, oil pick up was blocked...since the change, sounds heaps better, no smoke on start up, smoother idling...
Also dropped the fuel tank and cleaned out the sender unit...which was clogged with algai...which explains the surging i had the last week...
And on sunday I put an engine flush in the oil...then changed the oil and filter...oil pick up is nice and clean now...will do another engine flush and oil change in around 1000-1500km for peace of mind...
I've spent about $3200 in the last 2 weeks on injectors, filters and oil...that's doing all the work myself.
dazzah

Postby Elrico on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 8:11 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:
Elrico wrote:Well my lux has done 254,000kms. The mileage is very constant (and better since the chip it went in!), only throws smoke when hard accelerating, but thats just the computer over compensating the A/F mixture on hard acceleration, if i had a guess. I will be dropping the oil in 1500kms and checking this myself. No signs of any foul play here, but she gets a oil / oil filter / fuel filter change every 5,000kms. I try leave nothing to chance!

I wish you luck mate, but getting Toyota to pay for anything after 254,000km, you will need more than luck. ;)

Perhaps some explosives in the tray when it goes in for that 'costly service' :lol:

You are right with getting them to take any sort of blame, i should know better! Im just gonna check the pickup and get a game plan once i find what the outcome is.

Dazzah, was it a tough job? Im pretty mechanically minded and have good hand skills so i can usually give anything a good go. How much were the seals? Or did they come with the injectors?
Elrico

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems