D4D Rattle

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: D4D Rattle

Postby giotest on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 6:43 +0000

Hey everyone, after my last post thinking i had found the issue, turns out i hadnt! It was the mesh on the filter completely shot with algae! Anyone know how i can put some pictures up to show what a it looks like after only doing 80 000K on the car?
giotest

Postby Ox Man on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 6:51 +0000

run a search- how to post photos. there is a thread to assit.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby 07toyotahilux on Tue, 30 Mar 2010 7:41 +0000

if i may say i used to work for toyota as a mechanic and there is a softweare update which is the prado softweare update which has the same motor as the hiluxs.hiluxsand prados are having injector problems,i know the specs for the injector which should be -0.5 to 0.5 when cold and they should take it for a drive with the computer on and watch the vavles and see if they change when they are hot.i have found if u replace only one injector or two the customer comes back in 2 or so weeks complaing of the same thing but if u replace all 4 injectors the customer does not come back.i have done all my injectors in mine and the knock has gone it also helps if u put diesel conditioner in it helps with fuel comsupsion and that knock.i dont know if this will help u guys but it mit.if u want to know anymore dont hesert to message me
07toyotahilux

Postby ozeblue on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 7:33 +0000

How could I follow that!
ozeblue

Postby cjfish on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 7:56 +0000

Hi 07toyotahilux,

When you replaced your injectors, did you put the post Aug 08 injectors or the same spec as came with the vehicle. I have read on this forum that Toyota changed the injectors after Aug 08 and that the new injectors will fit in the pre Aug 08 vehicles.

My D4D goes back to Toyota tonight so they can do another cold start test on it in the morning. Why they have to do 2 cold start tests in 2 weeks is beyond me.

Cheers,

CJ
cjfish

Postby hoges1974 on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 5:47 +0000

I have a late 2009 model sr5 and it has the worst rattle ever sounds like it is going to throw a bearing out. It has had it from new has 4000ks now
hoges1974

Postby cjfish on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 7:05 +0000

Hi Hoges,

Have you had it back to Toyota? If so what did they say about it.

Cheers,

CJ
cjfish

Postby ozeblue on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 7:44 +0000

I thought all the rattle problems were vehicles pre aug 08. Mine is 03/07 and 2 months ago I had all 4 injectors replaced under Toyota warranty. It took three visits to dealer but out of the blue they agreed to replace the lot!
All good now, performance much the same, just a great deal quieter and better fuel consumption. All I can say is be patient and keep going back to the dealer.
ozeblue

Postby hoges1974 on Sat, 01 May 2010 9:09 +0000

Took mine back to the stealer yesterday just incase there was a problem so it was noted. After going for a drive with some turd from the stealer he said the noise was normal.

This guy also did say that i should not have lifted my car as it will fk up the stability control i said to him oh does this model hHilux have stability control he said YES. I said mate i think if you look into it you will find it doesn't (fking dope)

he did mention that if i come in for warranty they would not cover it as the vehicle has been lifted. I said so if i come back with a problem say with the diff warranty would be void he said YES as it has been changed from original

Worried me when dicks like this guy run the service department.
hoges1974

Postby Ox Man on Sat, 01 May 2010 4:29 +0000

find another dealer mate, or depending on who you got your acc through (ARB or TJM etc) get them to write a letter stating that all your mods meet adr spec and do not have any factual evidence your mods alter the factory warranty, they love doing it, its sport to them.
Ox Man

Postby 07 Hiluxury on Mon, 03 May 2010 11:13 +0000

I've had my pump & injectors replaced before (not sure if injectors are after Aug 08) so i know what the rattle sounds like.

Just took my car in for 50,000K service & told them i'm getting the rattle again & asked them to do their checks got a call saying all pressures are ok but the EGR valve might be dirty ???? please pay $190 for us to check it so i gave the go ahead if it will fix the problem.

Well rattle is still there so it looks like i'll be going into battle again to get this sorted.
We have a major truck servo in town (shell) & i have only fueled up from there because of the high turnover but i was told by toyota dealer to only use BP diesel, has any one else been told this?
07 Hiluxury

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 03 May 2010 3:53 +0000

yeh ive been told BP by one, Caltex by another.....

Its all Jibba Jabber, they must stand by their product. I would say something like:

"Champ, ive done all you asked me to, now its your turn to back your product up."

From experience, a decent solicitor and Barrister will eat them alive for failing to do so. Don't be affraid of the cost or the delays, I have a mate of mine who had the same dramas i had for 8 weeks, we bought a $2k hilux off ebay whilst his was off the road, (cheaper than renting a car), he even managed to recover that cost.

I am not practicing law so I cannot offer legal advise, but talk to someone who does. The moment this hits court, it becomes public record and sets precedence, something the legal team at Toyota Australia simply can't have.

Again, more evidence we require lemon laws here in Aus. Fight the b@stards.

All your posts add fuel to the fire in the fight against Toyota Australia for total disregard and lack of after sales support regarding drive train issues, out of warranty problems and in particular this one. I am sure aside from those of us who have made it public here on the forum, there are others who have remained silent for their own reasons, this makes the raw data hard to interpret, and gain an accurate figure as to how many issues there have been.

\
Ox Man

Postby oldrev on Mon, 03 May 2010 4:34 +0000

Ox Man wrote:yeh ive been told BP by one, Caltex by another.....

Its all Jibba Jabber, they must stand by their product. I would say something like:

"Champ, ive done all you asked me to, now its your turn to back your product up."

From experience, a decent solicitor and Barrister will eat them alive for failing to do so. Don't be affraid of the cost or the delays, I have a mate of mine who had the same dramas i had for 8 weeks, we bought a $2k hilux off ebay whilst his was off the road, (cheaper than renting a car), he even managed to recover that cost.

I am not practicing law so I cannot offer legal advise, but talk to someone who does. The moment this hits court, it becomes public record and sets precedence, something the legal team at Toyota Australia simply can't have.

Again, more evidence we require lemon laws here in Aus. Fight the b@stards.
X2

All your posts add fuel to the fire in the fight against Toyota Australia for total disregard and lack of after sales support regarding drive train issues, out of warranty problems and in particular this one. I am sure aside from those of us who have made it public here on the forum, there are others who have remained silent for their own reasons, this makes the raw data hard to interpret, and gain an accurate figure as to how many issues there have been.

\

I AGREE 100%
BEEN THERE DONE THAT
oldrev

Postby cjfish on Thu, 20 May 2010 7:55 +0000

I have had all 4 injectors replaced and was told that it will be noisey on cold start but then should quieten down. It is worse now jthat what it was before I had the injectors replaced. I travel 12 km to work and the temp gauge reaches max running temp (about 1/2 way) when I am about 1/2 way to work or approx 6km. The rattle is really loud when I first start it and does quieten down but no where near to what it was some 5000km ago before this problem started. Before this issue I never had the cold start issue. Even when I got the rattle with the old injectors I didn't have the cold start issue until they upgraded the ECU.

Is the cold start rattle now normal in a new D4D?

Does anyone have a post 08 D4D that doesn't rattle on cold start?

Cheers and thanks,

CJ
cjfish

Postby johnny5x on Thu, 20 May 2010 10:16 +0000

An update on my situation... its cold now here in Canberra and i get the cold start rattles but they go away after about 3 minutes of driving. However, i did a 5000km oil change the other week and it instantly made the engine much more quieter and the cold rattle disappear quicker. Im not sure how this has happened but it has definately helped the situation some what.
johnny5x

Postby Ox Man on Fri, 21 May 2010 7:56 +0000

hmmm... as soon as the viscosity of the oil wears, it will be back.
Ox Man

Postby MADDOG on Fri, 21 May 2010 9:01 +0000

and that will be a real time wear indicator for us, don't you think Ox?
MADDOG

Postby Ox Man on Sun, 23 May 2010 5:44 +0000

MADDOG wrote:and that will be a real time wear indicator for us, don't you think Ox?

absolutly, unfortunetly, we all know how good the stealers are at performing a scheduled service, Ive started sending mine to a denso authorised workshop, they rebuild diesels and did the replacement job on mine, on behalf of toyota. Charge less, let me walk through the workshop and are very thorough- test brake fluid for water even!

How can we trust toyota to look after our rigs, ensure that injectors and like are fine, when we know there have been instances of simple things, such as oil filters not being replaced....

some of us find it relaxing, or fun to do a scheduled service on the lux, problem is many of us do not have the diagnostic equipment of a diesel workshop... Personally, Ive serviced every other rig ive owned done timing chains etc, mind you none were common rails. If I bugger something up with it, i prefer someone else to blame.....

I would think it safe to assume, by replacing the oil with fresh stuff, the problem has been masked for the time being...
I would be monitoring this...
Ox Man

Postby jasbec on Sun, 23 May 2010 6:43 +0000

Hi Guys,
I have a D4d Prado and just got a D4D Hilux and l had the rattle with my Prado when it was cold.
Got it remapped at Toyota ($80) and it was still there.
I was using Shell brand Diesel so l changed to BP and now the problem has gone.
Cheers....
jasbec

Postby gsknott on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:23 +0000

I have a 10/07 d4d hilux running a dp chip with the death knock when cold and going into limp-mode on the odd occasion after 2 separate inspections from our local Toyota dealer the Ute goes in in the morning for complete set of injectors and remapping will let you no the difference when i pick it up tomorrow night all under warranty , the hilux has only done 48000 km
gsknott

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems