Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Postby Alby on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 6:06 +0000

If your warranty is still valid, take it back to Toyota. I had no issue getting warranty work done from them even though I use an independent mechanic for servicing
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby TrentRyan on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 7:05 +0000

Firstly well done on bringing this to everyones attention issues like this can be hard to know what to do without the advice of others who have had similar experiences

Since reading this thread I have done a heap of research and chatted with service Techs at Toyota Australia.

Basically as it has been explained to me Europe and NZ are using a different grade of Injector seals to the units sold in Australia as NZ gets European Spec Hiluxs The Aust Hiluxs use a silver (nickel) plated copper injector seal which is far less prone to leaking and causing the carbonising of the oil which is responsible for blocking the oil screens.

I asked Toyota to quote me to replace the seals at the next service and he said he will price it up but expect around $500-$600 to do the work. The Technician said he had personally not seen any Hilux's come through with issues yet. They will inspect the oil screen with a fibre optic camera at the next service and confirm it is clean for me and he said he would save the money and not replace the seals unless the screen was showing signs of blocking. He said the recall also only affected the models to 2008 and after that even Europe started using the silver plated seals.

It is always hard to know if you are being told the truth but this guy seemed genuine and I can only assume he was being honest as he could have sold me $600 worth of work if he wanted to.

He was saying that Toyota service the injectors and replace the Injector seals as part of the 80,000km service in Australia and doing it now at 45,000km is a waist of time and money.

Ill do a check on the screen myself when I do the next interim oil change and will ask for it to be inspected at each service as a precaution.

Great thread worth the time to check the screen and replace seals if required.

Trent
TrentRyan

Postby Paul123 on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:46 +0000

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback, went to my local Toyota service dept today and asked the Service Manager if I could speak to a mechanic familiar with the kun26 engine, Service manager said speak to me, I know all. He claimed to have heard nothing about it and regularly checks all sevice bullitens. I told him my screen was at least 25% blocked, should I just wait until it completly blocks and the engine sieze, he said they could check it out at my expense.
I can't say I'm surprise at his attitude as it is what I expected from this mob, however it would have been better to get a fair hearing and a little pro-active service / help / advice.
All I wanted was some help with the parts cost and they would have had a happy customer.
The next step will be to correct the problem myself, hoping I can get to the sreen without lifting the engine.
Paul
Paul123

Postby jarrah jack on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:42 +0000

Go over the jackass's head and ring Toyota direct. There is a reference earlier in the thread to Megan at Toyota somewhere that you should speak to. Will have to re read the thread.
jarrah jack

Postby TrentRyan on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 7:07 +0000

Paul123, I had a similar experience when my automatic transmission was overheating, Toyota denied problem although it was every where on web and the fix was known to be a transcooler. They said they could fit the cooler at my expense. So I had them fit it paid the cost then took them to task via the RAA (SA's version or NRMA). I explained my case to RAA and they wrote a letter to Toyota explaining that they believed in their opinion that I had a case for a warrantee claim as the car was not fit for purpose. I received a full refund. I would think this fits into the same category, it is not fit for purpose and Toyota should have to foot the bill. This is a known design fault, you will have no problem proving it with the European recall info on the web. As soon as Toyota hear that you have included RAA or NRMA they will change their tune because they don't need the NRMA or RAA making it public. They will pay to fix it, although they will say they are doing it as a gesture of good will as was the case with my trans cooler as they will not admit liability, but at least you will get it paid for.
TrentRyan

Postby buchanan on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 7:14 +0000

My 2006 D4D engine seized last week, it had been giving the occasional puff of smoke which I susspected was injector leak but didnt think it would lead to this.When I inspected the damage at the TOYOTA DEALER they explained to me the oil starvation had caused the seizure because of the blocked pickup which when I saw it I said whats with the crystals and why didnt my oil light come on.After reading all these posts its now pretty obvious and a pitty the guys at the dealership seemed to know nothing about it , the best they can do so far is offer me a reconditioned motor for $14,000 so its second hand for me!!!
Will try and post a photo of the pickup
Can anyone tell me if newer donks are compatabile say 2009 with my Aug 2006
I have heard engine management systems are different for pre Aug 2006
What was the Aug 2006 engine upgrade ? How can you tell the difference ?
TOYOTA are no help
buchanan

Postby Monaz on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 7:25 +0000

Mate I wouldnt be giving up on Toyota that easily just yet!!! They know about it...!!! :evil:
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby Alby on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 8:54 +0000

Monaz wrote:Mate I wouldnt be giving up on Toyota that easily just yet!!! They know about it...!!! :evil:

X 2 chase Grogfrog up I am sure he will give you some ammunition to go into bat with.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby dazzah on Sun, 01 Jul 2012 5:33 +0000

Hi Guys

I have an 05 model auto with 165000km on it, it blows smoke on start up, has the rattles, and has been running a bit rough lately...today a work mate and myself changed the filters (oil, fuel and air) air flow sensor was caked in crap so cleaned that, fuel filter with about 25000 km on it was pretty dirty and had a bit of slaggy stuff in bottom of filter canister, drained the oil and checked pick up screen and it was about 90% blocked, we sprayed some carby cleaner up there and cleaned as much as we can...in 2 weeks time we're going to drop the sump and clean it properly...will replace all 4 injectors just for the sake of it and the injector seals...and will drop the fuel tank and clean that aswell...

I will take as many pics as I can...

Does anyone know the easiest way to get the sump off...lift motor or drop steering rack and diff???

Also with injectors...does anyone know the cheapest place...i rang denso and they quoted me around $700 each...local toyota dealer quoted me $1100 each...
dazzah

Postby Actilux on Sun, 01 Jul 2012 6:46 +0000

dazzah wrote:Hi Guys

I have an 05 model auto with 165000km on it, it blows smoke on start up, has the rattles, and has been running a bit rough lately...today a work mate and myself changed the filters (oil, fuel and air) air flow sensor was caked in crap so cleaned that, fuel filter with about 25000 km on it was pretty dirty and had a bit of slaggy stuff in bottom of filter canister, drained the oil and checked pick up screen and it was about 90% blocked, we sprayed some carby cleaner up there and cleaned as much as we can...in 2 weeks time we're going to drop the sump and clean it properly...will replace all 4 injectors just for the sake of it and the injector seals...and will drop the fuel tank and clean that aswell...

I will take as many pics as I can...

Does anyone know the easiest way to get the sump off...lift motor or drop steering rack and diff???

Also with injectors...does anyone know the cheapest place...i rang denso and they quoted me around $700 each...local toyota dealer quoted me $1100 each...

Those injector quotes are the same i got - my bloke was going to use Denso but sourced genuine Toyota from somewhere in Sydney for a bit cheaper. Maybe call a few dealers for a price.

Mine had the same symptoms, all except the blocked pickup. Done 900km with new injectors and all good.
Actilux

Postby Paul123 on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 9:11 +0000

Just an update, I picked up the parts today to replace the seals, will fit them as soon as I get time.
I will post the part #'s when I'm sure they are correct. Interested to hear about the carby cleaner as I was thinking the same thing myself.
Had a quick look at getting the sump off, doesn't look easy, keen to know if anyone knows how aswell.

Paul
Paul123

Postby jbails on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 2:52 +0000

Gday Boys
Been following the thread after I started getting suss about my 05 SR5 missing a tad.
Had the 110k service done last week and my mechanic jots down on his notes for me 'Injector/s dripping' - my heart sank :cry:
I got a 3yr ext factory warranty when I bought it so took it to Toyota Service for an inspection. Diagnosis was 3 out of the 4 injectors were giving bad feedback and all need replacing. They estimated the cost to replace the 4 would be about $6000 but we are waiting to hear back from Toyota Extra Care to see if they will cover it under the warranty.
I bite my toungue about anything I have read here and said righto let me know.

Today Toyota rang and said they would cover the costs! :shock: :o :D
Sooo glad I went for the top warranty ($1800) now. I was ready to get a fight on but they came to the party without so much as a mention of the UK recall.
jbails

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 3:00 +0000

You beauty, talk about a stress relief !
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby ruste13 on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 4:54 +0000

Isnt there some way of doing an oil flush once you have dropped thew oil to get any residue/lumps in the bottom of the sump without pulling it off?

Can of degreaser up the doo-dad :D :D :D
ruste13

Postby lowlux1 on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 7:00 +0000

Did an oil change on mine on the weekend at 95,000 and pick up was spotless.

was a bit worried about this after all the hype about blocked pick ups but was worried bout nothin. real easy to check through sump plug hole with a torch.

I change oil every 5,000 with RX super.

The other thing i was unsure about was the seal/washer on fumoto valve sealing again but no dramas.
lowlux1

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 03 Jul 2012 5:08 +0000

Had mine checked at 130000km service. I told the mechanic about it and he mentioned that a few prados have requested he check for the same thing. I got a bit worried when I showed up this arvo we he said I need you to come out to the workshop to have a look at this..... as my car was still up on a hoist when I got there. Anyway, the filter screen was spotlessly clean, turns out I had a fuel filter canister full of sludge and once the tank drains down he want to pull it out and get the sludge out of the tank as well..
Skog07

Postby pisso01 on Tue, 03 Jul 2012 8:33 +0000

Sounds like a lucky escape Mark. Whats the sludge from? Do you need to clean the fuel lines etc or just the tank?

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby ruste13 on Wed, 04 Jul 2012 6:54 +0000

Checked mine today when i did the oil, ran an engine flush first. Pick-up was fine. I drop the oil about every 5/6 thousand depending where i am when it comes up.

I also did my fuel cilter and i cant believe how much gunk was in the canister, for $20 its somthing ill be doing a bit more reguarly.

Well done on bringing it to our attention, only takes a second to check during an oil change.

Cheers russ
ruste13

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:44 +0000

pisso01 wrote:Sounds like a lucky escape Mark. Whats the sludge from? Do you need to clean the fuel lines etc or just the tank?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hey Chris.
The sludge is from diesel fungus, water and other contaminants (rust, dust and shit) in the fuel. I filled the tank up before the service, which is what I normally dont do so they could drain it and drop the tank if nessicary. But I decided to fill it up as it was EFY last week. Will have to wait 2 weeks roughly to drain the tank down to nearly empty so they can pull it out and clean it. Since I have been at Baulko (for over 2 years now) I moved servos to the local BP one, have noticed small amounts of junk and water in the separator which never occured when I filling up at Carlingford... My fuel separator has a small crack in the bowl and the plastic strainer has cracked so they bypassed it. So I have to look out for a new prefilter, separator now..
Anyway getting back on topic, make sure you ask your mechanic to check the screen when they service your vehicle. If it is clear all is great, but if it isnt get onto it quickly.. It also doesnt look like a cheap fix to clean the screen either. I wonder how much crap gets pushed into the return galleries and removing the sump doesnt look that easy either as the crossmember is in the way.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:13 +0000

What sort of prefilter were u running Skog?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems