D4D Rattle

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: D4D Rattle

Postby runningman on Mon, 12 Aug 2013 8:28 +0000

Any other updates? I got 07-08 D4D second hand with 200,000kms, rattles at start up then disappears when warm 1/3 to 1/2 engine temp gauge. At around 2000rpm you stkll hear slight rattling. Im in brisbane if anybody has good results from toyo dealer local?
Thanks
runningman

Postby bloke&tackle on Wed, 14 Aug 2013 7:33 +0000

runningman wrote:Any other updates? I got 07-08 D4D second hand with 200,000kms, rattles at start up then disappears when warm 1/3 to 1/2 engine temp gauge. At around 2000rpm you stkll hear slight rattling. Im in brisbane if anybody has good results from toyo dealer local?
Thanks

Classic symptoms mate, your injectors are stuffed. I wouldn't leave it any longer than you have to before doing something about it. Don't deal with Toyota, the fuel system is Denso so find your nearest Denso dealer (has to be one that is authorised to work on common rail, not all of them can) they can do the whole job including coding the new injectors.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby paraman on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 3:38 +0000

07toyotahilux wrote:if i may say i used to work for toyota as a mechanic and there is a softweare update which is the prado softweare update which has the same motor as the hiluxs.hiluxsand prados are having injector problems,i know the specs for the injector which should be -0.5 to 0.5 when cold and they should take it for a drive with the computer on and watch the vavles and see if they change when they are hot.i have found if u replace only one injector or two the customer comes back in 2 or so weeks complaing of the same thing but if u replace all 4 injectors the customer does not come back.i have done all my injectors in mine and the knock has gone it also helps if u put diesel conditioner in it helps with fuel comsupsion and that knock.i dont know if this will help u guys but it mit.if u want to know anymore dont hesert to message me

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, have done a few searches and found this comment closest to my current problem...

According to the garage they replaced all 4 injectors, for about a week I was in agreement but now I have the same rattle I got before I took it to them. Is their an easy way I can check if they were all replaced? It's all under warranty and has since been checked again, they also gave it to Toyota to do the "recoding"... I did witness them drive it over to the dealership.
paraman

Postby tesna on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:06 +0000

Hi folks,

I have 2010 toyota innova with 2KD-FTV engine, with 120K kms on the odo. I think I have the dreaded d4d rattle, but the noise is always there even the engine has reached operating temp. But the noise is not as bad as I heard from youtube videos on "D4D rattle". The noise matched with the engine RPM, and the sound is not related whether the engine is under load or not (the volume of the noise not changed whether I rev it under neutral or under load, just the frequency is changed).

The car does not produce any smoke when starting up, no power delivery problems, good fuel economy, never had any limp mode, it runs great! The only problem I had is the NOISE. I bought the car used at 110K and I thought the noise is normal until I ride my friend's car with the same engine and the car noticeably quieter than mine. Now I feel like riding a tractor when I drive mine :lol:

I've gone to two different toyota dealers and they acknowledge the noise is a little bit louder than most but all parameters are still within specs :? They recommended to check the valve clearance though, as they suggests the noise may be coming from there.

The toyota mechanic also shows me one of their customer's car just got in for servicing for engine/injector problem and OMG the noise is much horrible than mine.

So this morning I just put my car for servicing to check valve clearance, I also request them to inspect/clean the intake, throttle body, EGR, injector seals, clean the fuel tank, etc. Do you guys have any suggestions?
tesna

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 1:39 +0000

Suction Control Valve. This has been reported to contribute to rattle.
Have a search on here - loads of information about these valves on various threads
Toyota wont replace the SCV alone here in AUS - they replace the entire fuel pump.
It is possible to get a replacement SCV but make very sure its the correct part for your fuel pump
DeadlyBeast

Postby Nicho84 on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 4:40 +0000

Mine rattles but thought it right be just the norm but now notice it every time I drive it if you have the radio on even quite low you can't hear it but I'm constantly trying to work out what it is,it's tick,tick,tick,tick,tick put clutch in and it stops,it increases with speed but does not get any louder no running problems and doing 38 mpg,on tick over you can't hear it but as you get going you can.after reading this I'm unsure as it stops when I press the clutch but sounds like a tappet noise.its a 3.0 d4d 2010 70000 miles.just been serviced at Mitsubishi were I got the car from 3 week ago but don't know if clearance has been checked.
Nicho84

Postby tesna on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:21 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Suction Control Valve. This has been reported to contribute to rattle.
Have a search on here - loads of information about these valves on various threads
Toyota wont replace the SCV alone here in AUS - they replace the entire fuel pump.
It is possible to get a replacement SCV but make very sure its the correct part for your fuel pump

I never had any power delivery issues on mine, should I get it replaced? is there any special procedure needs to be done after changing the SCV? for example scv calibration using tech stream?

The shop has checked the valve clearance and all is still within specs. So the noise must be coming from somewhere else :cry: I think I'm going to get the SCV replaced as it's only about 150 AUD. If the noise is not reduced then it's the injectors :cry:

Btw, I uploaded a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZBiwfKzwD0. What do you guys think?
tesna

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:38 +0000

More likely to be your injectors if they are the originals at 120K.
Read threads from Baileys/BDG - forum sponsor
DeadlyBeast

Postby boxhead55 on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 4:49 +0000

I have never seen a 2kd in the flesh. I am not much use
boxhead55

Postby tesna on Thu, 23 Oct 2014 9:40 +0000

Yesterday afternoon I checked my car in the shop and requested to see live data of my injectors from their scanner. The injector correction values maximum was 1.1mm on injector 4, all others around -0.5mm mark. So according to what I've read here my injectors still fine since not exceeding -3mm or 3mm mark? The injectors were also removed to check for leaking seals but the injectors pretty much clean, sign that the seals are good.

The rail pressure between target and actual pressure was pretty much within 500kPa mark, so this rules out the SCV? So the shops owner suggests me to bring the car home and he needs investigate further about the noise of my car from looking information about toyota service bulletin before he can recommend to replace/repair anything else.

Here's some snapshot of the scanner
tesna

Postby boxhead55 on Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:32 +0000

9.6 mm3 injection volume is a little high would suggest slight injector blockage as more fuel is having to be injected. 2 to 6 ish is the norm.
boxhead55

Postby tesna on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:31 +0000

bugger :( I will periodically monitor the injector feedback values then and start saving for new injectors. It's about 700 AUD each (new). No BDG equivalent as far as I know here :(
tesna

D4D Rattle

Postby Wazza80 on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 2:32 +0000

Everyone needs to get on Berrima Diesel service facebook page. Do these bigger company's talk to each other before making claims about the d4d engine.
Wazza80

Postby StevenS on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 7:00 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:9.6 mm3 injection volume is a little high would suggest slight injector blockage as more fuel is having to be injected. 2 to 6 ish is the norm.

My injection volume sits at about 10.5mm3 when idling (817rpm, running for about 3 minutes, coolant temp at 40 degrees)

Has new injectors from Baileys, about 10 months old, all injector values fine.

Any ideas? Economy is crap btw, about 12/100km no matter where I go
StevenS

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems