Fuel range incorrect after collision repair

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel range incorrect after collision repair

Postby frequin on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 1:25 +0000

Hi There, I have a 2011 SR5 4x4 V6 unleaded hilux.

I recently hit a kangaroo pretty badly that resulted in the front end having to be replaced (New radiator support, radiator, air con condenser, water pump, bumper, grill etc)

I picked up the vehicle from the smash repair shop yesterday and the fuel gauge was reading nearly empty (did not look at the range)

I drove down the road and filled up with a full tank. Usually this reads a range of around 550km on the trip computer and full on the dash gauge.

However it only read 380km when the tank was full and has gone down from there, I have driven it for about 1hr (60km) since filling up and the dash gauge is still reading full, the range reads 349km to empty.

The kangaroo only damaged the front of the car and underneath and around the fuel tank all looks fine, the vehicle was only at the smash repair shop for 2 weeks.

Im curious if when they removed the battery it has somehow reset the fuel read out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I call them up and tell them about it.
frequin

Re: Fuel range incorrect after collision repair

Postby Pete'90 on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 1:37 +0000

So was the light on when you refilled it?
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby StevenS on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 3:05 +0000

The distance to empty AFAIK uses your average fuel economy reading to estimate your range.

If between them repairing it and you picking it up they flogged it around a bit then that would have affected your economy estimation.
Overtime this will correct itself, but if you want to do it quickly I'd remove the battery, wait a bit then reconnect it then drive it like normal - this should reset your average economy to your style of driving.

EDIT
The above is how it worked on my previous car, a Toyota Aurion
StevenS

Postby dino12 on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 3:08 +0000

I think battery disconnect could well have reset something. when I bought my diesel, it had half a tank full and the range readout was about 600k I think. but as I filled up and started with a full tank, the readout said 600 and then as I drove it rapidly built up to a higher figure. over about 5 or 6 fills it worked it's way up to 740 km, after I filled the tank and still sits around that figure, although it will go a bit higher on freeway and lower in metro side streets. but every time I fill up again it goes back to between 740 and 750, then adjusts as I drive. I guess this is a fairly intelligent ecu that learns as you drive the truck. disconnecting the battery would void the memory of it's learned settings and return it to factory defaults. fill it a few times and it should relearn according to how you drive the truck and alter the dash readout.
cheers.
dino12

Postby frequin on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 3:18 +0000

Pete'90 wrote:So was the light on when you refilled it?

the light was not on when I refilled it but it was low on the gauge
frequin

Postby Pete'90 on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 4:18 +0000

In my experience, my range display did similar but I would refill it at a quarter full and it would say 500km until empty. That didn't sit right with me so I did some experimenting. And in my experience only, established that the range was calculated off how much was refilled into the tank eg 50-55l. As I started to leave it until the light and then refill 60-66l my range began to increase to 700-720 d4d auto
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby Husky77 on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 4:49 +0000

Pretty sure the trip computer rests itself after the battery gets disconnected, meaning it has to relearn your driving style over a period of either driving like u stole it or driving like miss daisy :D
I noticed while cruising on the freeway in the L/100km setting I could press & hold the reset button for a second or two which would clear it back to zero if that makes sense.. Could then easily see it fluctuate according to your right foot til it found its sweet spot..

Craig
Husky77
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 9:55 +0000

Husky77 wrote:Pretty sure the trip computer rests itself after the battery gets disconnected, meaning it has to relearn your driving style over a period of either driving like u stole it or driving like miss daisy :D
I noticed while cruising on the freeway in the L/100km setting I could press & hold the reset button for a second or two which would clear it back to zero if that makes sense.. Could then easily see it fluctuate according to your right foot til it found its sweet spot..

Craig

Thata right.When I first got mine with a full tank it showed 580.i kinda got scared.i got out of it 570 to be exact with my careless driving.After the 2nd fill up I was driving up to 110 with the cruise on and not revving it up in city and I got 750 even the estimate range was still close to 600.on my 3rd fill up the estimate came up to 700 that still stays on ever after even with the resets I do every time.i guess it stores the highest range u ever succeeded untill you do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery leads.
alexisdmtr

Return to Fuel Systems