4x2 xtracab rear suspension too hard

Postby johncros on Thu, 24 May 2007 11:34 +0000

I have a current model 4x2 Xtra Cab with the V6 Auto and the ride is bone jarring empty. This is used as a car, not for load carrying and I've been told I can remove a leaf from the rear suspension to improve it drastically.

Has anyone here had this done and how good/bad was the result? And did it lower the load capacity by much?

Cheers
johncros

Postby Tonym on Fri, 25 May 2007 11:25 +0000

The ride on all the Hilux models seem to be hard when empty. I have a SR5 DiD 4x4 and it rides very hard with low profile tyres on it, I have had the bottom pack in the rear reset down so they dont work untill there is a load in the back. Works well and is a big improvement over the way it came from the factory. Hope this helps.
Tonym

Postby TOMUCH on Sun, 27 May 2007 5:16 +0000

Johncros, what tyres and rims are you running on your car?? Also what tyre pressures are you running?? Without sounding like I'm teaching you to suck eggs... low profile tyres and high tyre pressures will make your truck ride very badly "bone jarringly" ... not sure if I support removing too many leafs.. coz one day you may want to put something in the back... I would probably think about a good set of rear shocks.. maybe a set of Koni adjustables.. they can be adjusted to give more or less control over spring movment... I hope this helps... and hopefully I havn't confused you... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby johncros on Sun, 27 May 2007 5:33 +0000

Its still got the original alloy's and light truck tyres. Now running 28psi in the rears and 30psi in the fronts. I've been to 2 suspension places so far and both said the shockers aren't the problem, it's the cart springs. One guy was enthusiastic about removing a leaf from each side whilst the 2nd guy also suggested that it would do the trick but he had concerns regarding the rigidity of the setup under harsh acceleration once he looked at the V6 badge.

There's plenty of after market suspension upgrades for the 4x4's but bugger all for the 4x2's I'm finding out.

Dropping the load carrying capacity isn't an issue with me as it's only going to carry garden/household rubbish anyway so if it dropped it to 1/2 ton I can live with that. The removed leaves could always be put back when I sell it.

Thanks. JC
johncros

Postby Noel on Sun, 27 May 2007 8:21 +0000

Hi All
I am currently playing around with my 4x4 Xtra Cab to soften the ride I have cut the back off the two lower leaves and it made a big differance, The reason I left the front in place was for the rigidness under power. I have air bags if I carry a load For me it's the best option although I am considering removing the bottom two leaves to see what it is like. I have some pic's but not sure how to put them up
Noel

Return to Suspension