Ironman Suspension opinions

Postby Tonym on Fri, 18 May 2007 6:50 +0000

has any one put the Ironman suspension kit on thier car? If yes what is your opinion, as far as comfort goes over the standard suspension. I am not particulaly looking for lift as much as comfortable ride. Do the poly bushes make the suspension feel better?
Tonym

Postby Darren on Fri, 18 May 2007 8:35 +0000

Hi Tony, I fitted iron man suspension to SR5 /05 model with winch and bullbar. (read - nose sitting on ground) My only regret is that I should have done the upgrade when I brought the car, as it made so much difference that it was unbelievable.

I fitted a 40 mm lift kit, as this puts all the uni joints in the front end level,(hopefully less wear) but due to the sag it looked more like a 70mm lift. I changed springs front and also did the leaves in the rear. I went for the lighter of the rear springs, but are still rated at one ton.

The ride is firmer but less harsh than the original setup, at 120km per hr the handling was "all over the road" with the new setup at 120km/hr it is like you are doing 80km/hr.

Cost was about $1300 fitted using the top of the range closed cell shocks.

I think most after market suspention will make alot of difference to the handling, as standard, the front is soft but I found this also made it harsh on rough roads.

One of the biggest differences I found was hitting corragations at speed, old suspention the car would go sideways as the rear stepped out, new suspention just goes straight through no movement at all.

Darren
Darren

Postby ufc on Fri, 18 May 2007 9:36 +0000

I have an ironman liftkit also and am very happy. I went with the comfort leaves in the rear as I normaly only carry about 2 - 300kg when heading of camping and they made a world of difference. The front was a hard decision. I tried the medium rate springs and the ride was 100% better then standard and great off road but I didnt get a huge lift and the front would dive under breaks( have winch and bar and is a D4D). So it was either put some spaces in or go the heavier spring. So I went the heavier springs which are harsher then the medium and I dont get as good articulation off road but the front does not dive under breaks anymore and there is less body roll. Did a trip to the otways and hilux handled the great ocean road like a sports car. When the back has even a small amount of weight in it it seems to balance the front better and give a great ride. either set up was a mile better then standard. The day I got the suspension fitted I got the bar and winch done to, so I cannot compare how the standard suspension would be with the added weight of a bar and winch but I would guess really ordinary.
ufc

Postby Tonym on Sat, 19 May 2007 3:47 +0000

Thanks for that info, I have been looking at suspensions for a couple of months now and nearly all the posts I have seen that have had OME have been complainig about sag. Havn't really read much about the Ironman setup though. I dont have a winch or Bull bar and dont carry any loads only my 2 dogs in the back but I have 20" wheels with 45 series tyres so they will make the car ride harsher but I think there is more of a problem than the tyres alone. I often drive down a gravel road 1km long with some mild corrugations in it and have to slow down to walking pace because the ride is so bad. I couldn't imagine driving mine in the outback on some of those dirt tracks. I have put the standard tyres back on to see if there is a great difference on the dirt but it doen't make it that much better.
Tonym

Postby StoneySR05 on Sat, 19 May 2007 4:24 +0000

I'm kind of in the same boat as Tonym, I am still looking at what suspension to get. For those of you that have had the lift done, can you let us know how much it changed the ride hight at the front and rear?

The image of the Hilux on there website is impressive.
StoneySR05

Postby Stu-k on Sat, 19 May 2007 5:28 +0000

If ironman setup gets a good wrap maybe we could do a group buy. I can get deals on them(in Brisbane) but not sure on how good they are.

Cheers
Stu
Stu-k

Postby buzzard on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:29 +0000

Anyone else have any further comments on the ironman suspention? Ironman is one of the option i am currently considering.
buzzard

Postby Jamjar on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:40 +0000

I have been looking at them, myself as well.
Looking for a better ride and a little bit of lift, would do the comfort option I think.
Jamjar

Postby bj343 on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 1:36 +0000

I'm in the same boat, looking at suspension and worried about the sag. The Local arb guys swear by their product but they are trying for a sale, will be carrying approx 500kgs in the back on a trip and would like 50mm lift.
bj343

Postby Dluxv6 on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 1:39 +0000

Guys
Have a look at Rancho , mine has it and love it, especially the adjustment in dampers

Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stu-k on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 7:09 +0000

One of the members on here has some near new Rancho`s for sale....just can`t remember who :-)
Stu-k

Postby bj343 on Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:45 +0000

sorry to change the thread but still to do with suspension upgrade, Macquarrie 4x4 at vineyard do a 3" hilux lift/suspension with OME springs and bilstein struts and shocks, has anyone had dealings with this company and any thoughts on this setup......Brian
bj343

Postby jcarter on Mon, 14 Jan 2008 7:35 +0000

"One of the biggest differences I found was hitting corragations at speed, old suspention the car would go sideways as the rear stepped out, new suspention just goes straight through no movement at all. "

Jesus another great reason to add the lift higher up in my to get list.

Hate the fact the hilux is so touchy on corragations.
My old 4runner handled them 10x better.

ass always starts stepping out, then the front would sort of loose traction/steer ability.
jcarter

Postby hiluxdan on Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:09 +0000

bj343
Up front I got the billies with king springs for 3" lift works a treat for me. Rear is efs, they stuffed up my order so they fitted the better gear to the front to keep me happy.
Dan
hiluxdan

Return to Suspension