Driveline Vibration after suspension replaced

Driveline Vibration after suspension replaced

Postby Glastonbury on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 5:45 +0000

Gents,
Recently replaced the suspension in my 09 dual cab and I have developed a slight driveshaft vibration. I mentioned it to shop that fitted it and said it's fairly normal. I have spaced the the centre bearing down about 6mm and it is better but still there. It is most noticable when idling in gear(it is an auto), it seems to bounce. There is no vibration at high speed at all. My mechanic spaced the centre bearing and this has improved it a little and I got under to have a look, I used to make, balance and repair driveshafts in another life and found the rear shaft was "out of phase". I know it was in phase when I first got the car as I got under to have a look. My questin is Is it normal to have these drama's after suspension replacement. The components were 250kg constant load EFS springs in the rear with Oztec shocks and Bilstein struts with king springs in the front, about 50mm of lift, it rides so much better, but the vib is annoying me.

Cheers Drew
Glastonbury

Re: Driveline Vibration after suspension replaced

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 6:12 +0000

Gday Drew.
The topic has been covered before here is a thread with possible solutions and causes of driveline shudder on take off.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1025&start=80
Have a read through this thread. It may answer some of your questions..
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby D4D for ME on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 6:22 +0000

I have an 07 extra cab with a 2" TJM lift and have experienced no such dramas. I also have air bags in the rear and even driving with the bags pumped right up and unladen (this doesn't happen often, usually only when I pump them up to put a couple of big hay bales on, feed the sheep, then are too lazy to drop the bags before returning home) it doesn't vibrate at all. Have you corrected the phasing of the U/Js. From my experiences with trucks that will certainly cause the symptoms you're describing. Hope you manage to sort it out soon, Nick
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby Glastonbury on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 6:39 +0000

Gents,
Thanks for the previous thread Skog and yes Nick I did rephase the rear shaft, I was thinking maybe it was bent slightly but after seeing this previous thread I will space the centre bearing some more.

Cheers Drew
Glastonbury

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 3:48 +0000

Whats the "phase" you mention, is it to do with the shaft being a 1/4 turn out our something?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Glastonbury on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 4:05 +0000

Quinny,
Yeah mate, the yokes on the shaft must line up. eg the rear weld yoke and the female slip yoke on your rear shaft must be in line,then on the front shaft the front weld yoke must be in line with your centre bearing yoke and when bolted together they will be 90 degrees out of phase to each other.If the drive shafts are ever removed it is a good idea to centre pop your drive flanges and if the slip yoke pulled apart mark it all with a white marker pen so it all goes back the same. If they are put back wrong you can make the shaft out of balance. Hope this explains it clearly. Hop under your car and have a look, you'll know what I mean then.

Cheers Drew
Glastonbury

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 5:11 +0000

Yeah mate... thanks... will take more notice next time its on the hoist at Crossports..
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby camwill69 on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 2:47 +0000

Yeh,
Just went out and put 16mm spacers in that have been sitting in the shed for 2 years. Made a lot of difference (better). Might go out and put some 18mm spacers in and see how they go. I have 16mm - 24mm in 2mm increments all ready to go. made them all at the same time (2 years ago) cause was not sure which would work best.

Regards,
Cam
Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 2:47 +0000.
camwill69

Return to Suspension