Kiwi (reluctantly) seeking assistance ..........

Postby whitehilux on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 6:25 +0000

My 05 lux is off to the doctors for a 50,000 km birthday check, a new clutch (compliments of Toyota) and the fitting of a rear ARB locker.

As part of the 50th celebration, I am seriously considering a front suspension upgrade due to the fact the front end has sagged faster than my wife of the same vintage due to the weight of the ARB front bar and winch. I have read as many articles as I can find on the net and have narrowed my choice to either a Bilstein or Tough Dog package to secure a lift of 50mm which should return it to normal.

Most of my driving is blacktop, with the balance being hard out forestry work (mud and undulating country included), and I would appreciate any advice you can offer as to which of the two suspension packages above is better. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear those as well.

Cheers, Dave (NZ)
whitehilux

Postby xrdave on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 6:45 +0000

Hey Dave, i have bilstein shocks and king springs in the front of mine no dramas. These have done 70,000ks.
"Some say the glass is half full, some say the glass is half empty. I say “Are you gonna drink that?”
xrdave

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:44 +0000

Both packages are very good choices... probably the thing that would sway my mind out of these two is that if you intend on doing some serious off road work...including long miles of corrugated dirt road... just remember that the bilsteines are a single tube assembly and the Tough dogs are twin tube.. one decent dent from a rock on the Bilsteins and theyre buggered... not to say they arn't good... they are... just something to keep in mind.... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Stu-k on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 3:38 +0000

I know nothing about em( Iam sure someone else here will) but this set up looks interesting http://www.snakeracing.com.au/06hiluxliftkit.html
Stu-k

Postby jogal on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 7:22 +0000

Hey Dave i've just got my 05 lux back from the suspension shop i ckecked out which way to go for months in the end i went Lovell springs and bilstein shocks got about 60mm in the rear and 50 front definatly made an improvement as i have also fitted the arb bar which sagged my front i have yet tested it off road i cant wait. The snakeracing kit is very expensive you need an eng certificate and i seen one the other day and it,s bloody high but not to say it looked bad.8-)
jogal

Return to Suspension