What suspension would you recommend?

Re: What suspension would you recommend?

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 15 May 2014 5:46 +0000

Pete'90 wrote:
Gulfstream8 wrote:
Pete'90 wrote:Has anyone fitted the trd bilstein kit to their hilux? Sounds like a good kit

Yep - best change I made to the lux from Sydney Shock Absorbers.

If you use the standard front spring instead of the TRD spring but install the TRD shocks it raises the front by about 25mm

A lot of R&D went into these shocks for Aust Roads and if you read the reviews of the TRD Hilux most are blown away by how well the TRD Hilux handles on the road and also off road espically corrugations!

Oh and one last thing - what the TRD and Bilstein shocks have over the others is long life but most importantly they don't go "off" after an hour of heavy corrugated roads like other brands can.

So did you do a 50mm lift all round or just raise it back to the standard height of the trd prior to sag?
In the rear did they change the leaf suspension as well or just the shocks?

Are the trd springs a thicker gauge wire or longer
I'll go checkout you page

If you have a standard Hilux - ie non TRD and you replace the standard Toyota shocks with TRD shocks but put your standard spring back in it will give you a 25mm lift at the front.

The standard Rate Toyota spring with the TRD shock works very well - unless you have a very heavy ARB steel bar.

I don't know if this will work on the MY14 Hilux as Toyota finally raised the new model at the front by 25mm and I don't know if they did it by using a longer shock strut or taller spring.

Your TRD spring question
TRD used a stiffer spring (higher rate) in the front of the TRD Hilux plus it was also shorter which lowered it by about 20mm
Gulfstream8

Postby Pete'90 on Thu, 15 May 2014 3:54 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:
Pete'90 wrote:Has anyone fitted the trd bilstein kit to their hilux? Sounds like a good kit

Yep - best change I made to the lux from Sydney Shock Absorbers.

If you use the standard front spring instead of the TRD spring but install the TRD shocks it raises the front by about 25mm

A lot of R&D went into these shocks for Aust Roads and if you read the reviews of the TRD Hilux most are blown away by how well the TRD Hilux handles on the road and also off road espically corrugations!

Oh and one last thing - what the TRD and Bilstein shocks have over the others is long life but most importantly they don't go "off" after an hour of heavy corrugated roads like other brands can.

So did you do a 50mm lift all round or just raise it back to the standard height of the trd prior to sag?
In the rear did they change the leaf suspension as well or just the shocks?

Are the trd springs a thicker gauge wire or longer
I'll go checkout you page[/quote]

If you have a standard Hilux - ie non TRD and you replace the standard Toyota shocks with TRD shocks but put your standard spring back in it will give you a 25mm lift at the front.

The standard Rate Toyota spring with the TRD shock works very well - unless you have a very heavy ARB steel bar.

I don't know if this will work on the MY14 Hilux as Toyota finally raised the new model at the front by 25mm and I don't know if they did it by using a longer shock strut or taller spring.

Your TRD spring question
TRD used a stiffer spring (higher rate) in the front of the TRD Hilux plus it was also shorter which lowered it by about 20mm[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and info, I had a search for trd hilux and found out it was lower at the front.
I'm keen for this as I'm not looking at a bull bar for this vehicle but am chasing some lift back up to standard height or higher after the sag from the dual battery install,
I was originally looking at a king springs lift with bilsteins all round just to settle the harshness of the hilux standard with no weight and from advice received changing the rear shocks is a good start. Have you got any photos of your rig before and after?
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby alexisdmtr on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 2:46 +0000

Hi guys...as the thread`s title i need your help and advise.I read alot on these posts and somehow i got comfused on the way.My truck is factory setup yet running on 17s wheels. I am not going to change the front bumper for a winch but most likely will set it up as a remote winch (for rear and front recovery).I have the 2 batteries setup so no extra weight will be added.Coz its my daily drive and also my hunt/excursion on weekend vehicle i want to get some ground clearance and some more flexibility but also keep that ``factory look``.I am looking something around the area of 2-3 inches and also to level the front to the rear height.So my questions are (and forgive for my ignorance)
1)For the increase in height only, you only need to replace the coils with taller ones?
2)For the increase of flexibility downwards you only need to replace the struts with longer ones?
3)If i get i.e a set of 2 front coilovers of 50mm and also 2 rear struts of the same what exactly will i succeed doing? :?: ...keep it simple for a simple minded guy lol
alexisdmtr

Postby alexisdmtr on Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:20 +0000

Anyone??? :(
alexisdmtr

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 05 Sep 2014 3:50 +0000

Bilsteins or Koni. That's my choice for shocks.
Springs, well, it just depends on what you are doing with your vehicle.
As a general comment, Kings or Dobinsons. Ultimate make some good stuff, as well.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby jaybags on Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:26 +0000

I'd give Ultimate Suspension a call. They'll build a custom set up specifically to suit your needs and daily driving.

A 2" lift is all you need for what you want to use your car for. Anything over, and the price will increase dramatically. You'd need dif drop kit, UCA's, etc to go with the 3" or above.
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby alexisdmtr on Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:56 +0000

Hey guys thanks for the info.2" is my goal for now at least as the car is my daily driver too.i need a "confirmation" on my observation/questions above just to clear out things better for myself..
alexisdmtr

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 06 Sep 2014 1:21 +0000

As the shipping cost of ultimate is too much for my place what would you reccomend between RANCHO, OME, TOUGH DOG that i can find locally?
alexisdmtr

Postby nicebike on Sat, 06 Sep 2014 1:38 +0000

Where are you geographically ??

Of the three options that you list, the only one that I would consider is OME. As you don't plan to load up the front, OME should be fine. Be aware that, in my experience, what OME sales people recommend is always on the stiff side.
nicebike

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 06 Sep 2014 4:13 +0000

nicebike wrote:Where are you geographically ??

Of the three options that you list, the only one that I would consider is OME. As you don't plan to load up the front, OME should be fine. Be aware that, in my experience, what OME sales people recommend is always on the stiff side.

Eastern medireranean.Cyprus is the name.I used to have Ome on my old trooper and they were a bit stiff to b honest
alexisdmtr

Postby nicebike on Sat, 06 Sep 2014 5:37 +0000

Yep. I've had OME shocks on three vehicles (slow learner :lol: ) and the ride was a little hard on all of them.

You could go for Koni shocks and OME springs, but would need to check on the valving in the shocks. Some of the Konis which ride so well in Aus. are valved differently for the Euro market and the comfy ride that we get in Aus, may not be so comfy in Europe. OTH the Euro valving may be good for your use ?.
nicebike

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 06 Sep 2014 8:49 +0000

Doesnt OME has adjustable ones?Either dumpening or height?A friend of mine installed on his Prado the Nitro charged and says he is happy with them.He got a nice ground clearance and articulation of at least 3''
alexisdmtr

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:42 +0000

OME equals Monroe.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby alexisdmtr on Mon, 08 Sep 2014 1:40 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:OME equals Monroe.
The Roo.

Really?OME and Monroe are equal quality??But Monroe are so much cheaper :?:
alexisdmtr

Postby nicebike on Mon, 08 Sep 2014 3:13 +0000

Munro make OME shocks, so I am told, BUT the OME shocks are allegedly available from no one except OME and are not simply a rebadged product from Munro
nicebike

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 4:14 +0000

hey guys looking at getting my new sr5 raised have been doing heaps of searching and think im going to go with the efs 2" kit with the xtr struts and shocks the guys at on track automotive in ftg have been super helpful. was also looking at the ome kit but apparently it only gives you 30-35 mm lift at the front which is nowhere near 2" and i was wanting to level the car out more because the stock rake looks terrible
rds_929

Postby bradles87 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 4:25 +0000

Honestly man if you read through a lot of members build threads in here Monster rides Rekon or Maxis, Ultimate or the Wizard Off-road set ups are the go. Personally I have the Rekon set up and you can wind the front up to level your car. Just not to high or your CV angle will be no good. Unless you want to get the diff drop brackets. How high do you want to end up lifting it?
bradles87

Postby rds_929 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 5:10 +0000

nothing to wild i think 2" to 2.5" i was hoping for upfront and not sure how much rear but was hoping to make the car roughly level if anything a tiny bit nose heavy. don't really want to go down the road of diff drop kits cause it gets pretty expensive and i don't think ill ever need that much lift. just want it to able to tackle some stuff when i go but will mostly be driven as work car around town. the rekon kits are adjustable and pretty $$ to yeah ?? i was hoping not to spend much more than 2K ish
rds_929

Postby bradles87 on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 7:19 +0000

Yeah I reckon 2" front and maybe 1" rear (maybe reset the leaves or extended hangers) which should be ok on your CVs I think. Not sure on prices but I think it would be under $2k. If you check the monster rides page in the forum sponsor section there is a thread on suspension including prices.
bradles87

Postby -josh- on Thu, 25 Jun 2015 7:40 +0000

I'm running bluemax shocks and king springs. Raised my hilux 2" but if I went to the heavy duty springs it could lift it slightly more and it could have dramas with the cv's.
I'm stoked with my setup, all up cost $1200 for 4 new shocks, reset springs and springs fitted and can't fault it so far
-josh-

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension