What suspension would you recommend?

Re: What suspension would you recommend?

Postby Locknut on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 6:50 +0000

I just installed the ultimate suspension and it is a massive improvement. Be careful with having the truck sitting level though, you may be boxing yourself into a corner. If you have a level truck, when you put a load in the back she'll sag pretty bad. Besides putting airbags in the back to rectify this you'll need to run a heavier spring which won't be very fun to drive when you don't have a load in the back. By having the back slightly higher you'll be able to carry a load when you need to and have a reasonably comfortable ride without the load.
Locknut

Postby rds_929 on Fri, 26 Jun 2015 7:45 +0000

Locknut wrote:I just installed the ultimate suspension and it is a massive improvement. Be careful with having the truck sitting level though, you may be boxing yourself into a corner. If you have a level truck, when you put a load in the back she'll sag pretty bad. Besides putting airbags in the back to rectify this you'll need to run a heavier spring which won't be very fun to drive when you don't have a load in the back. By having the back slightly higher you'll be able to carry a load when you need to and have a reasonably comfortable ride without the load.

awsome sounds good man chuck some pics up if you can how many mm's did u roughly get front and rear ??
rds_929

Postby Locknut on Sat, 27 Jun 2015 6:31 +0000

rds_929 wrote:
Locknut wrote:I just installed the ultimate suspension and it is a massive improvement. Be careful with having the truck sitting level though, you may be boxing yourself into a corner. If you have a level truck, when you put a load in the back she'll sag pretty bad. Besides putting airbags in the back to rectify this you'll need to run a heavier spring which won't be very fun to drive when you don't have a load in the back. By having the back slightly higher you'll be able to carry a load when you need to and have a reasonably comfortable ride without the load.

awsome sounds good man chuck some pics up if you can how many mm's did u roughly get front and rear ??

Pictures sound technical... :? When I get home in a few days I'll see what I can do.

In the rear I got about 55mm. In the front I was just replacing some really average suspension which was already lifted so I didn't get anything. I knew this would happen but she sits perfect now, I'm really happy with it. I think they matched the springs and shocks very nicely at ultimate. When I called them up they'd run out of their own gear so I had the option of outback armour instead. Brendan assured me they were just as good and they are.
Locknut

Postby Benji Edge on Sat, 11 Jul 2015 7:57 +0000

I've had my car lifted for almost a year now.
Ended up going to APE Springs in Landsdale (Perth) WA

Got a combination of EFS shocks with King Springs in the front and EFS springs (300kg constant rear load) and shocks in the rear. This is after talking to the guy for at least an hour and a half, running through literally every different brand they sell. They sell about 10 different ones, all of the major brands included. After having a good understanding of my wishes and future plans for the car we ended up with this set up as best suited for me. This wasn't because they said it would be best as such, but decided by me after having knowledge provided and then confirmed as what would be best in his opinion. The service was excellent and the product great.

I've done lots of driving on beach, bush, rocks and mud and could not be happier with my setup. No complaints and she drives like a dream on road, where most my km's are done.

So after careful consideration of all the advice and options on this forum, that was my final decision and I would recommend at least having a chat to the guys if you're in the market for suspension and in the Perth area. (I drove up 3 hours to get it done by them, thats how much I was convinced by their service)
Benji Edge

Postby Rodeo4jake on Mon, 28 Sep 2015 7:27 +0000

Hey all,

When I got my Hilux a few years ago I fitted a tTough Dog lift kit with the 300kg - GVM rear leaves. Immediately after fitting & driving the car, I found the front to be too floaty at speed for my liking & the rear to be way too rigid. In other words, it was a completely unbalanced ride that I hated. Having wasted my hard earned on it I put up with it until last week. I decided to purchase some new Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport struts & coils for the front & new rear shocks. I decided to stay with my rear springs hoping that the Tough Dog shocks were causing the terribly stiff ride in the rear. If it didn't work I could still go for rear springs later.
On the weekend I fitted all the new stuff & have to say it is ridiculous how much better the car is to drive now. The front is smooth & controlled & the rear has a lot more give in it despite having the same springs. Just wish I had purchased this stuff originally as the price difference is not much between the two.

After this experience I would safely recommend anybody to buy the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport stuff, it's awesome.
Rodeo4jake

Postby Cameron12 on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 4:42 +0000

Hi Team, hoping someone is still monitoring this thread.

I was after a few pointers, i have a 07 SR5 with stock suspension all around and was wanting to level the truck out a bit as the nose noticeably sits lower. I do 90% road driving with no loads in the rear. i just wanted an option to raise the front up. I have no bar work up front.
What i've found out so far is;
-Strut spacers are a cheap easy way but can be dangerous. However, some say if you increase the bump stop too it can prevent the bottom of the shock from bending.
-Adding larger coils to the stock shocks is also another option thats no too expensive. Not sure if the shocks can handle the lift due to the new coils.
-Then there is the option of replacing both front shocks and coils with a new larger set.

So what I'm asking is, how can i raise the front safely and reliably?
If I'm not asking for too much, what options do i have, cheap, medium price or full hog?

Cheers, Cam
Cameron12

Postby packeteer on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 4:47 +0000

a good cheap solution is to just replace the front struts with 2" lifted ones. starts around $750 from Ultimate Suspension
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Cameron12 on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 3:21 +0000

Thanks, i just got the same reply from a couple of other guys, so I'm pretty happy that's the way I'm going to go.
Cameron12

Postby LB81 on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 5:20 +0000

I have just booked in to ultimate from all I have read on here my lux currently has spacers installed and after no hard off road work since I have owned it (20000km) I noticed the right side had started to bend. I always knew it was a cheap rough way to obtain height and drove it softly for this reason. I'd steer clear of them hence why mine will not be up for resale
LB81

Postby wombat81 on Wed, 26 Sep 2018 8:43 +0000

Evening all. I currently have 2 inch 200-400kg Ironman springs on the back but they aren't cutting the mustard when the canopy is fully loaded and the camper trailer is hooked up. So Ironman aren't a popular option, what brands do people recommend for 400kg+ rear springs? I don't want or need premium brands. Value is what I need. The Ironman 400kg+ springs are about $700 per pair with U bolts, not fitted.

To be honest, I really like the ride of the Ironman springs, so I'm not worried about buying them again. These ones are just too light when I'm loaded up.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby pighunt on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:38 +0000

After 11 months and around 20,000 kms my 2 front EFS XTR shocks leaked and died while doing the Simpson Desert. I was supplied 2 new ones under warranty but don't really trust them any more so time for something else.
pighunt

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 31 May 2021 5:24 +0000

pighunt wrote:After 11 months and around 20,000 kms my 2 front EFS XTR shocks leaked and died while doing the Simpson Desert. I was supplied 2 new ones under warranty but don't really trust them any more so time for something else.

Dobinsons or Ultimate mate.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Previous

Return to Suspension