BODYLIFT BIBLE DOCUMENT

Re: BODYLIFT BIBLE DOCUMENT

Postby amitch888 on Mon, 03 Sep 2012 7:49 +0000

There is a couple of slots that the steering column assembly sits in, it can't be in them which is why it's falling into you lap, have a much closer look around the steering column area and you will find the problem. I would be making sure you have enough length in your steering shaft. The lower half of the steering shaft sometimes needs to be removed to adjust the slip joint on the lower end of the shaft.

If you haven't got the steering extension in you would be struggling to find the needed length I think?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby joeln12 on Fri, 07 Sep 2012 4:13 +0000

amitch888 wrote:There is a couple of slots that the steering column assembly sits in, it can't be in them which is why it's falling into you lap, have a much closer look around the steering column area and you will find the problem. I would be making sure you have enough length in your steering shaft. The lower half of the steering shaft sometimes needs to be removed to adjust the slip joint on the lower end of the shaft.

If you haven't got the steering extension in you would be struggling to find the needed length I think?

spot on! during the raising of the body the steering column was pulled out of these slots because i didnt losen off my steering shaft coupling. i didnt have enough length with my shaft and had to purchase a steering shaft extention from superior engineering. it arrived the next day thanks to express post. cost me $100 and $12 postage.
now my steering wheel turns my wheels, (which is great) but im not sure the steering wheel is centered in its travel from lock to lock. extreamly concerned of going full lock and breaking my clock spring. any one know what sort of tolarances im playing with?
joeln12

Postby Jack S on Fri, 07 Sep 2012 4:31 +0000

Pretty well every body lifted hilux on this forum has been made by VMN, his kit comes with absolutely everything needed, including a steer extension.
Maybe you should pm or give Rod a call because he researched and developed the kit, so would know everything to do with it...
Jack S

Postby VMN on Fri, 07 Sep 2012 4:54 +0000

Jack S wrote:Pretty well every body lifted hilux on this forum has been made by VMN, his kit comes with absolutely everything needed, including a steer extension.
Maybe you should pm or give Rod a call because he researched and developed the kit, so would know everything to do with it...

Thanks Jack, been reading this thread quietly and scratching my head at how problems are occurring for some guys in areas you don't need to touch to do a body lift. Yeh, I know, the VMN kit is a bit more expensive than other options and the cost of the steering extension is more due to the engineering and approval costs not undertaken by other suppliers. But if you do use my kit, you will have the confidence to know everything you need is in the kit so at the end of the day you can drive away if you follow the detailed instructions and photos that incorporate feed back from the hundreds of happy users.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 4:36 +0000

Hey Rod, think i asked this ages ago but do you guys do just a 25mm kit with the radiator drop brackets and steering extension if required?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby VMN on Sun, 16 Sep 2012 5:01 +0000

Hellbound wrote:Hey Rod, think i asked this ages ago but do you guys do just a 25mm kit with the radiator drop brackets and steering extension if required?

Basically, because I tried to do a couple in the early days but I found it was too hard to tool up for different variations in the height and there was no material to lift the tub by 25 mm but there is for 50mm. It is hard enough keeping everything in stock at one height as there is about 8 variations as it is.

As an aside, I had a call today from a guy who had bought a kit off eBay and wanted to know how to fit a steering extension. No instructions provided, no radiator drop brackets, no idea about air bag clock springs so when I warned him about this, he reckoned he had probably already broken it. With my kit you get 12 pages of instructions that have been refined by feedback from hundreds of happy customers and from the ones I have fitted so all of the little ticks and traps are covered.

I got this email from a customer during the week.

Also I thought I might mention I bought your body lift kit last year and would like to say how much of a breeze it was to fit and having the step by step instructions was very handy.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby pauly308 on Tue, 02 Oct 2012 4:26 +0000

not looking forward to doing my body lift....
pauly308

Postby FES73R on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:24 +0000

Hi all, very interested in kit, but being based in Sydney has anyone got this engineered? I already have a 2 inch lift, was looking at doing the VMN 50mm kit, I'm keen to do it, just not willing to take the plunge if no one has got it approved in nsw yet. If anyone can comment on this, or maybe you might know Rod having probably sold one to members in Nsw.

Any advise would be great
FES73R

Postby kyle300exc on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 1:17 +0000

PM sent FES
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby rayy on Tue, 06 Nov 2012 1:58 +0000

Hi Kyle could I get that same pm

I'm wanting to drop my MR kit down to 3in to try an prolong the life of my cvs then body lift it. I'm just a bit worried about the boys in blue.

Cheers rayy
rayy

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 07 Nov 2012 5:48 +0000

VMN wrote:
Jack S wrote:Pretty well every body lifted hilux on this forum has been made by VMN, his kit comes with absolutely everything needed, including a steer extension.

Thanks Jack, been reading this thread quietly and scratching my head at how problems are occurring for some guys in areas you don't need to touch to do a body lift. Yeh, I know, the VMN kit is a bit more expensive than other options and the cost of the steering extension is more due to the engineering and approval costs not undertaken by other suppliers. But if you do use my kit, you will have the confidence to know everything you need is in the kit so at the end of the day you can drive away if you follow the detailed instructions and photos that incorporate feed back from the hundreds of happy users.

My 2 cents worth: I've fitted Rods kit and Ive fitted a cheaper kit to another vehicle and whilst the other was less in price it was very dodgey. Still required drilling of radiator brackets, had to buy some bolts and get air in take extension. Rods kit is much more professional, not to mention the steering extension which his slides on, the other kit we had to hammer on the extension, still gives me night mares :shock:
Same old story you get what you pay for
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby bogged tom on Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:10 +0000

Well i've nearly finished collecting / making the parts for my 2" bodylift.

One thing is the steering extension, i have been advised by an engineer that the original part can't be modified legally in SA, so, i spoke to surperior engineering, they don't specifically list an extension for an 06 IFS Lux, but they suggested people have used the extension for a live axle Lux on an IFS model.

Can anyone confirm if this will fit?

Cheers bogged tom.
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
http://www.youtube.com/user/weirdbikes?feature=mhee
bogged tom

Postby gumby90 on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 2:21 +0000

I would check with Rod from VMN as he has the full body lift kit, but you can also but the steering extension off his site.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
gumby90

Postby VMN on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 3:47 +0000

bogged tom wrote:Well i've nearly finished collecting / making the parts for my 2" bodylift.

One thing is the steering extension, i have been advised by an engineer that the original part can't be modified legally in SA, so, i spoke to surperior engineering, they don't specifically list an extension for an 06 IFS Lux, but they suggested people have used the extension for a live axle Lux on an IFS model.

Can anyone confirm if this will fit?

Cheers bogged tom.

Tom, The splines are the same but it is too short which was why with the help of forum members, VMN came up with a longer extension that is available for sale on our web site here:
http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/shop/vmn- ... -extension

Hundreds of these have been sold since it was launched in 2009.

It might cost a bit more than the Superior Engineering one and that is due to the engineering costs and the fact that it has type approval from Queensland Transport. No one else has bothered to get this approval for steering extensions. I can provide the engineering reports and approvals to interstate engineers on request so it should be a no brainer to sign off on your modifications.

I am not sure what your engineer's attitude will be, but the risk is that the fitment of an extension will be viewed as modification to the original part and thus is illegal. This is the attitude taken by the QLD Authorities which is why we lodged engineers reports of our design to obtain a type approval in this state.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:40 +0000

Gday fellas, attempting to lift my single cab soon with some 25mm blocks, have made a radiator drop bracket but my silly question is - Do you lift the the side of the cab and insert the blocks along the body line or lift the front of the cab and insert the blocks front to back?

Ive lifted a rodeo single cab side to side but just wanted to make sure!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby enthropy on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 10:09 +0000

I did mine side to side mate. But did body and tub as two separate jobs (you can easily lift a corner of the tub by hand if it's empty, I didn't have a hilift at that stage to jack high enough)

Loosen one side right off.
Remove the bolts on the other side then jack that same side up and insert the blocks and put the new longer bolts in loosely.
Then remove the other sides bolts and repeat.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
enthropy

Postby fritz3003 on Sun, 17 Feb 2013 7:56 +0000

anyone in south aus done a body lift ? id be keen to hear how the mods went and what engineers they spoke to ? ive spoke to VMN and rod has told me about using aluminium blocks here, just wanting to find out if anyone spoke to an engineer regarding the steering mods ? thanks
fritz3003

Postby Blownv6lux on Sat, 18 May 2013 4:20 +0000

Has anyone body lifted a auto hilux? What does it do to the gearstick??
Blownv6lux

Postby JUSTAUTOS on Sun, 19 May 2013 9:21 +0000

No dramas mate auto stick stay the same it has a cable
JUSTAUTOS

Postby farono on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:32 +0000

hey has anyone worked out the issue with the intercooler seal to the bonnet ?
farono

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension