Bilstein and Suspension Lift Questions...

Bilstein and Suspension Lift Questions...

Postby Batman on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 1:29 +0000

G'day all,

I had decided to price some Bilstein struts for the front of the Lux. The bloke I spoke to at a local suspension joint said a couple of things that sounded like absolute crap so I will check with guys that have them already...

Question 1, For those with Bilstein struts up front, have any of you noticed them start to weep oil from the seals? Have you done much offroad work with Bilsteins? Have you had any problems at all?

Question 2, For those with a suspension lift fitted to your vehicle - have you noticed any stability issues at all?

Here is what the clown said to me...

Bilsteins are good gear but not suited to offroad work and will leak at the oils seals and eventually fail. He reckons Koni are a much better option and will last forever!

He also said that he would never lift a vehicle with an independant front end. He reckons it would raise the roll centre too much and cause the vehicle to roll!

Finally he qouted me $180 for a pair of king springs and $670 each for the lifted koni struts.

I am in Ballarat Vic, does anyone know where can I go to speak to someone about Bilsteins that knows what they are talking about because I don't like my chances locally.

Steve.
Batman

Re: Bilstein and Suspension Lift Questions...

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 2:35 +0000

Steve his pricing on his King Springs is spot on. I ordered mine through Repco (Yeah I know what it stands for.....lol) for $170 a pair. The same spring ordered through BBM Motorsport was $300.....
I have been told by members on here that you can get your Bilstein strut valved to suit the type of spring and accessories that are on the vehicle. Circlip grooves machined to achieve the preload that you require. etc. etc. And the strut itself is rebuildable and revalveable to suit and change modifications that you add.
Keep us posted on your progess.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 4:05 +0000

I bashed the shit out of my previous billies... no complaints... would have gone them again except I had to wait longer than I could. So have gone tough dog...

Would go billies again, after approx 60,000 klms mostly road but also a heap of full 4x4 work mine had not sagged since I'd purchased them. I paid $460 for the pair fitted with an extra groove cut around 2 years ago...

TJM Albury are always good for prices and also offer good service. I think around $1800 for billies all round and king spring fronts...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hiluxdan on Sat, 11 Apr 2009 7:31 +0000

I got kings and billies up front and there unreal! Would definately go them again.
Heaps of hard wheeling plus fast dirt and no problems at all.
Dan
hiluxdan

Postby rodw on Sun, 12 Apr 2009 4:36 +0000

The price on the KONI's is about right. When I priced them they were a lot dearer than the BIllies and are fully rebuildable. I heard some odd reports bagging the Billies and citing problems and that is why I decided on the Tough Dog struts (well actually a full TD kit springs and shocks all round). So far, couldn't be happier.
rodw

Postby wyworrie on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:13 +0000

ATS in gelong for billies, the best!!
wyworrie

Postby Wattsbuild on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 5:17 +0000

I got a set of billies up front with some lovells heavy duty springs I'm thinking of selling them if anyone is interested. They are 6 months old. Thinking of getting adjustable shocks
Wattsbuild

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:50 +0000

Wattsbuild,

You would get more attention if you posted it in the for sale section.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Drew on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 5:47 +0000

Cant speak of the bilstein or koni as i have never had em but as for the handling as long as you set it up right my truck is 3-3.5 in lift and 33in tyres it soaks up speed bumps and potholes ec with ease but with NO body roll, well less than stock, it handles so much better than before in the wet it was always sideways and losing traction now its fine. Handles like my SS ute which is lowered and on 19's with 45 series tyres!!!!

Im sure when i load it up it will roll a bit like my last one it was 4" with toughdog adjustables allround was like a car for handling but bit of roll when loaded
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby ALFY on Sun, 10 May 2009 7:21 +0000

How are you guys finding the tough dog adjustables now youve had them for a while? Im tryin to decide between the dogs and bilstein, being pushed towards toughdogs at the mo.. Just wondering how practical they really are with the manual adjustment, its great to have them nice and stiff for on road but gettin out to adjust four shockies when you hit the trails dosnt really seem that appealing... From what i have been told the bilsteins valving is designed to stiffen up at speed and allow soft travel in the rough... Any feedback from anyone whos running either setup greatly appreciated. Cheers
ALFY

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 10 May 2009 7:25 +0000

ALFY wrote:but gettin out to adjust four shockies when you hit the trails dosnt really seem that appealing...

neither does airing down the tyres but needs to be done.....do it the same time as airing down...not that difficult....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby pjg on Mon, 11 May 2009 8:44 +0000

Doesn't Ranchero have some shocks with a remote (ie. from the driver's seat) adjustment? Anyone used them?
pjg

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 11 May 2009 8:47 +0000

Yeah... Im with Max... And I'd go TD over billies next time around. It just gives you that little more control. I basically set it foor the enviroment Im in and not per track...

IE this weekend we are heading out to wononangatta... So once I hit Myrtleford to fill up, Ill just jump under and stiffen the rear whiles its still clean... it'll be fine till I then get home and clean it but will perform much better off road... I tend to change the front very little as the same setting works best for raod and trail... the tyres make up the biggest diference to dapening rutted roads...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 11 May 2009 8:54 +0000

pjg wrote:Doesn't Ranchero have some shocks with a remote (ie. from the driver's seat) adjustment? Anyone used them?

The same kit also fits the TD... buts its around $500... so for those who are cashed up it seems good... for me, its more money for beer if I do it manually...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Mon, 11 May 2009 9:07 +0000

Rancho makes a wireless controller

See: http://www.gorancho.com/products/accessories/myride.php

Compatible with the Tough Dogs. It is about $500 comes with it's own compressor which you would have to use as from what I can gather, it uses much higher pressure than a normal ARb style compressor.
rodw

Postby Axle on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 7:37 +0000

Hi mate i have a 3"bilstein suspension lift done by Macquarie 4WD,I just got back from a trip to cape york with high recommendation for them. The trip was extremly comfortable with no oil leaks or problems. The vehicle handling is 100% over standard form and the cost was $ 2,600 fitted inc gst.
KIT INCLUDED 4x bilstein shocks
2x OME Rear leaf springs
2x OME Coil Springs
2x Greasable Extended shackles
Hope this was of help mate
Axle

Postby Ox Man on Fri, 31 Jul 2009 7:24 +0000

Gday,
We all know this is a very personal choice, almost like toothpaste, it all does the same thing in a round about way, some make you smell minty fresh while others will do that and take smokers breath away.
Its up to what you like the feel of, unfortunetly you cannot drive every setup in your rig unless u found the money tree. and if you did, tell me and i will roshambow you for it.

I ordered mine from Cal Off road (high country customs) in Jindabyne, 3", Live in Bendigo, got em shipped down here. had tough dog, rancho, OME, on numerous other rigs, I went with bilsitein shocker & strut setup with Skyjacker springs from the US. my Billies are fully rebuildable, decent warranty too. Give Harrison 4wd a call in Bendigo, they installed mine, he is an angent for Dobinsons & ridepro and tried to push me that way. goofanks.

keep in mind, alot of these guys keep stock in their workshops and not always on consignment, meaning if they dont move it, its dead money. they will push you their way untill they are black and blue, after all, if was your business, wouldn't you do the same?

Dont ask what them what you want, tell em!

dont take my word for it,
Speak with Paul or Steve

148 Murphy St
Bendigo VIC 3550
(03) 5444 1255

Good guys to deal with. Tell them Luke sent you, dude with the black lux. ask them what they think of my kit.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Batman on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:52 +0000

Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that I have ordered a set of Bilsteins for my lux... :D

I spoke to the TJM guys (one was a Bilstein rep) at the 4WD show and they recommended them strongly. Because I wasn't after a huge lift one guy suggested just using the original springs and not worrying about getting HD ones. I will give this a go first off and see what happens. I'll be fitting them myelf so I can play with the setup when fitting up. :roll:

I told him I have got my winch (off ebay) to fit and dual battery to follow and he reckons I will get a 30-40 mm lift above STD ride height if I use the top groove on the strut with the original spring. Which is about what I am after. :D :D

The price for the two front struts was $280 each. How does that sound?

Cheers,

Steve.
Batman

Postby felix on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 1:26 +0000

Batman

Let us know how you go with these with the standard spring as i'm thinking of going this way when the time is right. would like to know how they change the ride characteristics of the lux
felix

Postby Alby on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 2:19 +0000

Batman, I was running the billies with the standard springs on mine for about 12 months and they were fine, it was only when I fitted a bar and winch that I had to upgrade to HD King springs as it was too soft and dropped.
Ride quality with the billies is superior to the factory setup IMHO.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Next

Return to Suspension