Tray Spacing / Tray Angle

Tray Spacing / Tray Angle

Postby Troutman on Sun, 25 Sep 2022 3:31 +0000

Hey guys, seeking some advice on tray spacers. Just got a new alloy tray which had come off of a 2019 space cab to go on my 2008 space cab, tray seems to sit at a funny angle when looking at it side-on. Seems that the tray spacers on the old tray that I re-used may be causing the issue, they're some sort of rubber/poly spacer, they start thing towards the front and gradually get thicker towards the back. The issue I'm having is the tray seems to lean forward more than normal.

Have been struggling to find any information online about whether tray spacers are even necessary on this model of Hilux (2008 SR5 4x4 Space Cab). Any help is appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated on whether the spacers are necessary or not would be a great help - It also seems the nuts do not properly engage the nylon at the end of the nylock due to these spacers.
Troutman

Re: Tray Spacing / Tray Angle

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 25 Sep 2022 6:37 +0000

In the pic on the front verge it looks like the rear driver's side corner is raised a little (could just be road camber, hard to see in this pic). Check the spacers side to side are of the same height. Then check the chassis attachment points all rise the same distance. Then you'll get a better idea of what bits might need raising or lowering.
Going from there you'll be able to decide whether you need to remove some or all of the spacers or whether you can just leave them as they are.
Rob_Wood

Re: Tray Spacing / Tray Angle

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 26 Sep 2022 5:48 +0000

If the nyloc nuts don't go full thread (there should be at least 2 threads above, outside the nyloc) and assuming the bolts are OEM then the spacer is either too thick or unnecessary. Did the spacers come with the new tray or are they off the old one? Looks like you don't need the spacers at all if this helps with the levels. Otherwise it might solve the problem if you swap front spacers for the rear. I don't have a tray but the spacers are only about 3mm thick but that's for a tub.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Suspension