Upper and/or lower control arms Measurements Cad

Upper and/or lower control arms Measurements Cad

Postby tumidagur on Wed, 26 Jan 2022 2:33 +0000

Hey, so I'm creating my own upper and lower control arms for my 2006 Hilux, and I cant find any measurements on the stock control arm.
So do any of you got some cad blueprints or measurements of the upper and/or lower control arms it would be lovely. I only need the main dimensions ball joint, bushing etc. (but more is always better)
Any measurement would be great !!

So why ? Well I live in Iceland and for off-roading we need 38" tiers or more so to fit 38" under the Hilux without cutting the cab I need to move the control arms forward about 50mm. I don't want to lift it (at least as little as possible) so that leaves only one option.
I will be designing the upper control arm in cad and will use a cnc milled from a block 6061 Aluminum.
I will post the cad files for free if you guys want.

I'm currently learning mechanical engineering put this will be my first control arm from scratch
tumidagur

Re: Upper and/or lower control arms Measurements Cad

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:34 +0000

You should be able to get the measurements you need off the existing control arms.
I'd think twice about using aluminium though. Aluminium is renowned for developing stress fractures over time when used in a LOAD bearing environment. Maybe you could weld something up from a steel pipe with 3mm (or more) wall thickness? Once welded get it hot dip Galvanized? This will provide you with the strength AND the life longevity you seek.
Rob_Wood

Postby tumidagur on Thu, 27 Jan 2022 6:31 +0000

Yeah I was just wandering if a blueprint or a diagram existed somewhere, would like to get the most exact measurements.
tumidagur

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 27 Jan 2022 7:46 +0000

tumidagur wrote:Yeah I was just wandering if a blueprint or a diagram existed somewhere, would like to get the most exact measurements.

I understand that, but if you're designing your own (50mm forward) then the measurements are going to be what best suits what you wants from them. Getting your start point from the existing ones will almost certainly be enough for what you want ... as long as you are very careful about the measurements you take.
Maybe ... Just maybe you might consider taking some photos of the job you're doing as you work through it. That way if you post the photos here, then other might be able to comment if they can see any issues with what you're doing.
Just a thought!
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Fri, 28 Jan 2022 4:47 +0000

tumidagur wrote: I don't want to lift it (at least as little as possible)

WTF you say you want 38 inch wheels but no lift? Isn't ground clearance everything? I'd use steel for the upper control arms personally think about how aluminium bullbars fold up when hit compared to steel .
How do you move the wheel forward with out upsetting the cv joint?
https://caloffroad.com.au/upper-control-arm-kit-adjustable-fits-toyota-hilux-n70-2005-2015-n80-2015-on/
241steve

Postby tumidagur on Sun, 30 Jan 2022 8:57 +0000

Yeah, well I don’t really care about ground clearance as I will be driving on snow and glaciers. I only need the float on the snow, so lifting it would really help and the only way to raise the lowest point of the car (the rear axle) would be to get bigger tires.
You might be right about using steel tho, I’ll be getting help from my professor on that. ( I saw some upper control arms from kibbetech for the Tacoma and that’s were I got the idea of using aluminum, but thanks for the feedback!)
And about the cv joint, moving it 50mm shouldn’t affect it much it’s been done plenty of times and was even on the Arctic Trucks hilux that was on top gear https://www.focus2move.com/wp-content/u ... -hilux.jpg
It’s done so the wheels don’t collide with the cab.

And will be keeping you updated. Thanks again for the feedback
tumidagur

Return to Suspension