Suspension help (TIA)

Suspension help (TIA)

Postby tropicalux on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 6:40 +0000

Hi guys I’m very sorry if this has been asked but I can’t find answers and I’m also a newbie with suspension issues
I basically have a choice of either Terrain tamer 2” kit or a TJM kit but also the possibility of a mix of the two. I carry NO LOAD at all. Still have a tub setup. TJM outback steel bullbar/brush bars/steps. No winch. The suppliers where I am can’t seem to also give me clear cut answers atm either. So the main concerns are

1. Tjm only has a 50-80kg coil spring pair available atm. Is this enough or should I be getting coils with HD 80+kg rating ?
2 . Terrain Tamer has their smart coils rated at 100kg is the other option. The smart coils say up to 100kg but don’t specify for bullbar use. The supplier here claims he has fitted them to many bar laden hiluxs and cruisers with no issue. They also have HD Coils but not in stock. I’ve read that without a winch and second battery etc HD coils maybe too harsh?
3. Tjm XGS 4000 struts and shocks OR Terrain tamer TGS expanded body shocks ? any experience on either? I’m
Leaning towards getting the tjm shocks simply because theirs is the “comfort” range called the “XS” shock. Again any experience with Terrian tamers shocks is appreciated. Not sure which would be a better ride ?
4. Would parabolic springs from terrain tamer be a good choice for no load ? They claim it’s the best for soft application even though it’s rated for 300–500kg but rides “softer” than constant 100-200kg leafs apparently.
5. Do I need to worry about diff drops and or UCAS with anything at 50mm lift ? Sorry again if this has been asked

With what’s available, I’m leaning towards a mix of the two with to get the most comfortable setup. But any advise is seriously appreciated! Thanks heaps again !
tropicalux

Re: Suspension help (TIA)

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 7:50 +0000

Looking for comfort and carrying an "Occasional" mid-sized load with "light-duty" or "Occasional" off-roading?
You'd look for a mid-range setup. Usually around one step up from standard factory gear and with only a 2" lift you should be right to just swap it over without worrying too much about diff-drops etc. Just be sure to have a good look at your new rig before you take off, with a bare eye you should be able to see if anything "looks wrong".
The brand you choose is up to you. I personally would choose quality over price for this stuff.
Rob_Wood

Postby martynvella on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 5:16 +0000

Why are you doing the lift?
Have you had the vehicle in a situation it has let you down due to lack of clearance?
You say you carry no load so std suspension should comfortably carry the weight of a steel bar alone, have you considered an alloy bar, the one I have has a large steel bar behind it down low for impact resistance in the chance it is ever needed and it only added about 40 kg.

The std suspension is very capable, my ute has done over 260k, 40k carrying max load towing on corrugations and is still in very good condition.

If you need the upgrade then go for it but dont do it just because it sounds cool and your mates reckon you cant go offroad without it.

Offroad with no load, are you doing this as a sport? Nothing wrong with that ( wish I could afford to do it) but if your trying to compete with modified cruisers or patrols then buy one of those, a Hilux will never keep up no matter how much money you throw at it.
martynvella

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 8:32 +0000

Great advice ^^

The stock suspension is very capable. Being softer than most aftermarket kits, it will keep your wheels on the ground for longer therefore giving you more traction.

I'd get better tyres before upgrading my suspension anyday.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby tropicalux on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:07 +0000

martynvella wrote:Why are you doing the lift?
Have you had the vehicle in a situation it has let you down due to lack of clearance?
You say you carry no load so std suspension should comfortably carry the weight of a steel bar alone, have you considered an alloy bar, the one I have has a large steel bar behind it down low for impact resistance in the chance it is ever needed and it only added about 40 kg.

The std suspension is very capable, my ute has done over 260k, 40k carrying max load towing on corrugations and is still in very good condition.

If you need the upgrade then go for it but dont do it just because it sounds cool and your mates reckon you cant go offroad without it.

Offroad with no load, are you doing this as a sport? Nothing wrong with that ( wish I could afford to do it) but if your trying to compete with modified cruisers or patrols then buy one of those, a Hilux will never keep up no matter how much money you throw at it.

Hey mate thanks for the advice. I do a lot of driving for work purposes. And even though almost all of it is on bitumen, the roads where I am aren’t great. If you’ve been to Fiji you know what I mean haha. Uneven and rough at best some places are ok. It’s good to know you managed 260+ Ks on yours. I’ve done 162k it’s seven years old and it’s definitely sagged abit since I put all the bar work on. My understanding was that the stock sus wasn’t rated for bar work ? I am
Probably wrong there you all might be able to clarify for me. I was looking up the tjm weights and it total my steel bar/side rails and steps weigh a combined 135kg. The bars have been on for just under 6 months. My biggest concern was the stock suspension failing at the front under that weight. Am I mistakenly paranoid about this happening ? The second was comfort like I said. I can definitely feel the undulations rough patches and potholes a lot more now than before. I’ve also put a set of 17 +10 offset sitting on 265/65/17 rugged terrain tyres. These are LT tyres. I’m also thinking that has something to do with the extra harshness I’m noticing. Really appreciate the feedback though thanks alot
tropicalux

Postby tropicalux on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:08 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Great advice ^^

The stock suspension is very capable. Being softer than most aftermarket kits, it will keep your wheels on the ground for longer therefore giving you more traction.

I'd get better tyres before upgrading my suspension anyday.

Hey man thank you. I’ve changed the tyres with rugged terrains. They do feel abit harsher than ATs for sure
tropicalux

Postby martynvella on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 12:33 +0000

What tyre pressure you running, on corrugations I run 25psi, makes a huge difference, in your case try dropping 5 psi and see if you notice the difference.
martynvella

Postby tropicalux on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 1:26 +0000

martynvella wrote:What tyre pressure you running, on corrugations I run 25psi, makes a huge difference, in your case try dropping 5 psi and see if you notice the difference.

I’ll be testing 26-27 on my next work trip tomorrow. Had initially left it on 30 which in hindsight I should have dropped lower earlier on. I’ve done about 6-7000 kms on the new rubber. So you rekon I should stick to the current stock sus for now then?
tropicalux

Postby martynvella on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 4:26 +0000

Its going to be softer than heavier duty stuff.
Keep you eye on the tyre temps, or the back of your hand at least, shouldnt feel hot to touch, just warm.
I was under the impression that lifts are really only for extra ground clearance but everything comes at the sacrifice of something else.
martynvella

Postby tropicalux on Tue, 23 Nov 2021 5:17 +0000

martynvella wrote:Its going to be softer than heavier duty stuff.
Keep you eye on the tyre temps, or the back of your hand at least, shouldnt feel hot to touch, just warm.
I was under the impression that lifts are really only for extra ground clearance but everything comes at the sacrifice of something else.

Yeah I will thanks mate. Just lowered the pressures to about 26 now. I’ve got a friend here who’s got a 2 inch lift on the front but kept the back stock, says it rides a lot smoother with the Terrain tamer premium shocks (no remote res) at the back and struts up front on heavy duty coils. He basically did it as he wanted to “level” out the ute so it looks better. Thing is he’s only got the tjm alloy bar on his, which is around 55kg only and about 23kg lighter than my steel bar, and no side bars or adjoined steps. And he’s got 33s. So not the best comparison if I was to test it. I have absolutely no intention of levelling it for looks sake. I really only care about the comfort. Might be meeting him by Thursday just to see how his Lux actually feels on bitumen.
The 3 thousand dollar question in this case is whether I actually need the lift to make it softer but by what you’ve been telling me it may end up being harsher with aftermarket gear!!
tropicalux

Return to Suspension