What 2-2.5in Lift Kit for my Lux? Diff Drop needed?

Postby TBJ on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 6:11 +0000

So I think the time has come to put a Lift in my ute, I think I want to put 265/70/r17 or some 32x10.5x17's I'm thinking BFG KO2's or maybe go with the M/T ATZ P3's again. So I was thinking it seems I will need a 2-2.5in lift kit or will I need more/less, and also which one to go with, Dobinson MRR, OME, FOX/Caloffroad, EFR, etc.? also will I need a Diff Drop?, if so which are the best ones? Also if you've got an approximate cost that these (both Lift and Diff Drop) will be that would also be great. I've got a Steel ARB Bar, planning on a winch and Side rails soon, in the rear I have the factory tub, but I am planning on putting on a custom tray at some point in the near future, so what weight KG should I have in the rear? Constant kg's or Parabollem?
thanks
-2013 MY12 SR5 3.0D4D Manual 4x4 Dual Cab
TBJ

Postby Critter350 on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 8:11 +0000

Think you’ll find as many opinions on ‘best suspension’ as there are users on this forum. I’m very happy with my ‘The Ultimate Suspension’. I loaded the car up with all my touring equipment and took it to the local weighbridge, gave front and rear weights to Ultimates and I reckon it’s perfect. Don’t need a diff drop until you go more than 2”, so ask yourself if it’s really worth it.
There’s plenty around this forum that fit 33’s with minimal fuss so I wouldn’t expect too much drama with 32’s, just do a bit of research on the right offset.
Critter350

Re: What 2-2.5in Lift Kit for my Lux? Diff Drop needed?

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 4:53 +0000

X2 for ultimate suspension. Cal isn't bad either. Best advice is buy somewhere local for warranty purposes. I've had a few problems in the past with shocks and being able to drive into a shop with oil visibility pouring out your shock is far easier than emailing photos.

The need for a diff drop differ between brands but suspension droop is your main concern. Compare the open length between brands - the longer open lengths may require a diff drop.

This however is very obvious once your new suspension is mounted... when you jack the vehicle off the ground and let the front wheel droop - if the CV joints bind when you turn the wheels you definitely need a diff drop kit.

Don't stuff around with those cheap drop kits either. Get one of the kits from phatbars or similar.

32in tyres are in my view the sweet spot for tyres on a hilux. There isn't much need to change gearing and you shouldn't have problems with rubbing. I run 33s and 31s. 31s are much better for the road and they keep the police happy. The 33s chew front wheel bearings, rub everywhere, suck power but look really good. There is plenty written here on offsets etc - the search button is very useful.

After trying a couple of brands of rear springs, I run stock rear springs as they flex well and they haven't cracked. It really depends on what loads you carry and what you plan to do. I'd personally run as soft as you can for flex and comfort. I think Im running 800lb springs up front with a buds bar and winch. These still bottom out pretty hard in the dunes but are fine on typical 4wd tracks. Not too bad on the road either. There is never a perfect setup.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Suspension