Frontend clunk, then steering wheel not straight

Frontend clunk, then steering wheel not straight

Postby TipperLux on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 7:59 +0000

Hi there,
I have a bit of an issue with my 07 dual cab lately when on occasions I have it in near full lock to the left I feel a clunk then the steering wheel is not straight while driving. It would be sitting at around 1 to 2 o'clock while driving straight. Then a while later same thing will happen and it will be straight again. Not sure if it's a suspension or steering issue. It only seems to be while turning left. I've taken the boots off and seems all good inside. The control arm bushes seem to be a little squeaky at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
TipperLux

Re: Frontend clunk, then steering wheel not straight

Postby Critter350 on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 12:05 +0000

Is your steering wheel shaft loose and skipping a spline? Otherwise I’d say rack damage. Just a guess, but think I’ve read something similar on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Re: Frontend clunk, then steering wheel not straight

Postby TipperLux on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 6:37 +0000

Thanks for the reply critter350. Just a quick update. It started to occur quite a bit last week so I took it into pedders for their $28 suspension check. Turns out that is was the right-hand lower control arm bolt not tight enough and was moving under load. Wheel alignment and all good. Sure beats a new steering rack. Thank f#@!%. The guy at pedders modbury (adelaide) picked straight away when I was telling him what it was doing.
TipperLux

Return to Suspension