Castor Wedges

Castor Wedges

Postby paynebrody on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 8:14 +0000

Hey guys, I have a 2011 single cab SR. Just fitted Lovells 40mm struts to the front and an ironman 'add a leaf' to the existing leaf pack and EFS dampers to the rear. Because the rear end is so light the lift was a bit higher than the front. Car sits lightly nose down unladen, with a normal camping load its pretty level.

Problem is, I've been getting driveshaft vibrations coming to a stop and taking off also. About 5km hour is worst, then they go away.

I've tried 1 deg castor wedges, 2 deg castor wedges, packing out the centre bearing up to 20mm, no centre bearing packer etc, and I still cant get rid of this bloody vibration its doing my head in. Surely I dont need to go to 3 deg castor wedges? The diff would be nose down at that point. Its not that big a lift...

All unis, etc are fine.

Any hints?

http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-prod ... add-a-leaf
paynebrody

Re: Castor Wedges

Postby paynebrody on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:06 +0000

I realise you guys were all worried sick about my issue, but you'll be glad to hear I fixed it by a. thinking about it and b. doing more research....

Turns out I had the castor wedges in backwards. For the KUN26R two piece tailshaft you actually want the rear diff housing rotated nose up, not nose down like i had it. You want the output shaft from the trans case, and the pinion axis to be pretty mush parallel (I say pretty much becasue you actually want a bit of misalignment so that the unis stay lubricated).

I was tryingto get the trans case output axis and the pinion axis parallel which is correct for a one piece shaft, but not two piece.

Good resource below:

https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTrick ... -101.shtml
paynebrody

Postby paynebrody on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:10 +0000

Oh and I also REMOVED all centre bearing spacers. This reduced the trans case shaft angle, and hence reduced how 'nose up' the diff needed to be rotated. Ended up with just 2deg castor wedges fitted
paynebrody

Postby nicebike on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 2:00 +0000

Well done ! Nothing like a bit of thinking to solve a problem :)

You're not the first to put wedges in the wrong way. I had a spring shop put them in the front of my 40 series backwards. Removed all the caster. He fixed it, but I could tell that he wasn't convinced :lol:
nicebike

Return to Suspension