How long will your suspension last?

How long will your suspension last?

Postby GD40 on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 6:10 +0000

Hi all,

As per the subject, I'm curious to know how long the suspension in your vehicle should last before you should replace it.

For example, I have OME suspension front and rear in my truck and it has been there for 8 long years. Previous owner never took it off road until I bought it with 80,000 KMs on the clock. Now it gets flogged off road and hasnt missed a beat. I did have to change the rear leafs due to weight.

Now if they're working perfectly fine, are they still as good as it was when it first went in or should I look at changing the suspension before the Cape next year?

I'm thinking I might run it all into the ground and replace it with Dobinsons all round before the Simpson in 2020.

Ta,

GD

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
GD40

Re: How long will your suspension last?

Postby NZMarkb on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 7:40 +0000

After just coming back from the Cape (on motorbikes) i'd say a definite yes to replacing it before you go
Look for signs of weeping from your shocks, at 8 years old I'd expect the seals in the shocks to be becoming hard and if you are now giving it a workout it will soon show signs of wear
Just my view as I don't claim to be any sort of an expert in this area ;) ;)
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GD40 on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 9:35 +0000

NZMarkb wrote:After just coming back from the Cape (on motorbikes) i'd say a definite yes to replacing it before you go
Look for signs of weeping from your shocks, at 8 years old I'd expect the seals in the shocks to be becoming hard and if you are now giving it a workout it will soon show signs of wear
Just my view as I don't claim to be any sort of an expert in this area ;) ;)
Last year at the Cape it ran like a dream, no issues at all.

The only problem is funds to change them haha. I'm looking at getting a "soot" clean with a tune and put in an oil Catch can. With the price to get the "soot" clean done it might put the suspension on the back burner.

I'm just hoping I might get another cape trip out of the OME's but it doesn't sound promising [emoji20]

GD40

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:46 +0000

Get the shocks rebuilt, or at least get a price for it.
HK1837

Postby taresk on Thu, 09 Aug 2018 11:28 +0000

I don't know how long the Ironman kit has been on mine, but they're stuffed now, fine for daily driving but 20-30 min on a rough road and they give up the ghost, the car starts wallowing around and bottoming out.

It's definitely worth replacing before a long off-road trip, there's nothing worse than driving on faded shocks.
taresk

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 09 Aug 2018 3:59 +0000

I had to replace my rear Bilsteins after 77,000km - to be fair most of the mileage as on rough dirt roads and tracks with the Hilux heavily loaded.
I continue to wonder how long the front struts will last, over 100,000km on them and just come across the Simpson again and they are still fine.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby martynvella on Fri, 10 Aug 2018 7:13 +0000

if its not broke, don't fix it.

You can do all the preventative maintenance you like and things will still fail, new parts quite often fail due to poor quality control where the one you had was working well and had done for some time.
No matter how much you spend getting ready you cant prepare for everything.

Think from another perspective, if everything is working ok before your trip leave the money you would have spent on "just in case" replacements in the bank so it is there to spend on repairs or vehicle recovery IF something goes wrong. $10 000.00 worth of suspension, exhaust and performance upgrades isnt going to help you get your vehicle back to civilisation if you do a fuel pump or ECM.

Just my opinion.
martynvella

Postby GD40 on Sun, 26 Aug 2018 1:17 +0000

martynvella wrote:if its not broke, don't fix it.

You can do all the preventative maintenance you like and things will still fail, new parts quite often fail due to poor quality control where the one you had was working well and had done for some time.
No matter how much you spend getting ready you cant prepare for everything.

Think from another perspective, if everything is working ok before your trip leave the money you would have spent on "just in case" replacements in the bank so it is there to spend on repairs or vehicle recovery IF something goes wrong. $10 000.00 worth of suspension, exhaust and performance upgrades isnt going to help you get your vehicle back to civilisation if you do a fuel pump or ECM.

Just my opinion.
This will be my plan. Thanks so much to everyone for their comments.

GD40

Return to Suspension