How much droop is good droop?

Postby Magnum06 on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 6:10 +0000

G’day, I don’t post often here but am always browsing the wealth of good info on this forum!

I need to replace the front shocks on the lux as they are leaking. They are adjustable Profenders with EFS HD springs wound to 3”. The problem is they only provide 15mm of droop which has probably helped accelerate the leaking.

I was looking at the caloffroad Bilsteins as the next choice. How will I know that these will give me more droop?

What is a good amount of droop thats required for proper ride quality, no damage to the shock and won’t foul on my adjustable UCA’s at full droop? Thanks for any help.
Magnum06

Re: How much droop is good droop?

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 6:24 +0000

Really, only 15mm?! I try to leave at least 60mm
If you have aftermarket UCAs you shouldn’t have to worry about them coming in contact with the spring. The CV will bind up before it touches.
I have the Dobinsons mrr struts and had to install droop limiters because even with a diff drop (complete bracket kit, not the spacer type) the cvs were binding at full droop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 6:29 +0000

The more you wind them up the stiffer the ride will be and it will be a disadvantage off road.
Sure you’ll have more clearance but you’ll loose traction at the slightest articulation.
You will probably also loose up travel caus the springs are under more load making it harder to fully compress the suspension t to the bump stop

Tyler1993

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 6:44 +0000

^^ would have to agree with that.

I run about 40% droop on my setup. Rubber on the ground (traction) is more important to me than clearance (and a higher centre of gravity).

You'll find the high clearance low droop setup to be stiff. Thus coupled with a sway bar be low on traction due to less rubber on the ground.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Magnum06 on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 9:52 +0000

Thanks for the replies. It’s really stiff in the front. It can’t even handle corrugated roads without having to let air out as it gets too violent. The springs are HD but only to suit 50-70kg of added accessories weight which is pretty standard once you have a bar and dual batteries etc.

Now added to my shocks being wound up, is it possible the Profenders are a shorter shock resulting in even less droop? If I do buy some new billies and set them up to 3” will I still have the same problem?
Magnum06

Postby kixx on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 9:29 +0000

Tyler1993 wrote:Really, only 15mm?! I try to leave at least 60mm
If you have aftermarket UCAs you shouldn’t have to worry about them coming in contact with the spring. The CV will bind up before it touches.
I have the Dobinsons mrr struts and had to install droop limiters because even with a diff drop (complete bracket kit, not the spacer type) the cvs were binding at full droop

Hey bud, I'm having the same issues with too much droop/travel that on full extension the CV binds up.
Did you get the droop limiter from MR or are you using limiting straps?
N80 Touring Rig WIP
kixx

Postby Tyler1993 on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 4:20 +0000

kixx wrote:
Hey bud, I'm having the same issues with too much droop/travel that on full extension the CV binds up.
Did you get the droop limiter from MR or are you using limiting straps?

Hey mate, I have the MR droop limiters in at the moment.
They work and are very easy to install. I’m just abit worried about the longevity of them as under compression the rubber looks like it’s about to tear off the mount leaving the bolt to go straight through the UCA
I’d go the straps if I had my time over. Just at the time I didn’t know much about them and couldn’t find a ready made kit.
Let me know if you go down that path and find something to suit as I may upgrade in the future.
P.s have a look in my build thread early on and you can see how deformed the rubber gets.

Tyler1993

Return to Suspension