Brake Hose extension - 2014 VSC/ESC/ABS

Brake Hose extension - 2014 VSC/ESC/ABS

Postby nicebike on Sat, 09 Jul 2016 3:56 +0000

Decided to fit longer hoses to the rear after a 50mm lift because at full droop the standard hoses were a bit tighter than I was comfortable with.

At rear, two hoses from chassis to axle housing, both on LHS. LH of the two slightly shorter than RH. Colour coded, probbaly to avoid assembly mixups.

New RH hose wouldn't fit into slots on brackets on chassis and axle housing. WTF !!!

After much buggerising around with the caliper measuring the aftermarket hose fittings, I finally twigged that the RH holes in both brackets have been designed to accept only the very slightly different end fittings on the genuine hose for that position. Distance across the flats is standard but the radius of the hole is shallow and the genuine end fitting on only that hose matches the holes

Mixing the two up could lead to someone popping the short hose, so probably this is just typical Toyota thoroughness to avoid a problem.

BUT before I take a file to the radius in the holes in the brackets and make them accept the standard fittings, does anyone know if there is some black magic reason for this that I haven't worked out ? I'm 99% sure my conclusions are correct, but don't want to find out later than I have missed something, maybe to do with the ESC/ABS crap.

Don't have PB so no pics. Anyone who has looked under the rear of a VSC/ESC/ABS equipped lux will see what I mean about the hose length and the colour coding.
nicebike

Re: Brake Hose extension - 2014 VSC/ESC/ABS

Postby nicebike on Sat, 09 Jul 2016 4:13 +0000

Brainflash - I think I can file the end fitting on the aftermarket hose instead. A sharp cornered file should do it. That will wipe the plating off the fitting but will retain the idiot proofing built in by Toyota.

I'd still appreciate any ones thoughts on the "black magic" possibilities of this bit of weirdness.
nicebike

Return to Suspension