Suspension Advice - EFS Heavy Duty Leaf and Shudder

Suspension Advice - EFS Heavy Duty Leaf and Shudder

Postby TouringLux on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 1:00 +0000

Hi Guys,
I am setting up a single cab hilux with a slide on camper for touring. While it is possible to remove the camper, the vehicle will only be used as a tourer so we won't be taking it off and on.
The current suspension is stock so I am keen to upgrade it and as it will be carrying a fair load permanently 600-1100 kgs I was going to go with the EFS heavy duty leaf springs (THX08HD 400 kg constant load) but apparently these springs can cause some driveline shudder.
Some advice has been to go with the THX08 leaf set (300kg constant load), add an extra leaf + airbags. Apparently this will avoid any problem with driveline shudder + add some flexibility to the load carrying capacity.
I understand there can be some issues with air bags, but this relates as much to overloading than it does the airbags...

Has anyone had experience with the EFS THX08HD leaf and if it resulted in driveline shudder??
TouringLux

Re: Suspension Advice - EFS Heavy Duty Leaf and Shudder

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 5:22 +0000

You'll usually only get shudder when ya have the big springs and no weight cos the rear will sit up to high creating more of an angle for the uni's. If ya have the weight on there all the time I can't see you having an issue.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 6:05 +0000

I have these springs and yes when unloaded you get shudder. Put 200kg in the back its fine.

If you are concerned fit some 1 degree castor wedges at the same time. I have them in mine and there is no shudder at all unloaded or loaded.

Hope this helps
NLC
Steveyb

Postby TouringLux on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 2:59 +0000

Thanks for the advice.
I think we will go with the heavy duty springs as this is a simpler option and the weight will always be on there.
Cheers
TouringLux

Return to Suspension