gmv upgrade

gmv upgrade

Postby garry r on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:52 +0000

Does anyone know of a GMV upgrade to the hilux. I am not talking about upgrading the suspension that I have already done, but increasing the Gmv legally from 2780kg to a higher GMV. I know you can legally upgrade the 200series landy either from factory or after market with an engineers certificate. From what I understand, it's not a suspension problem to get a gmv upgrade, but a axle problem in which to obtain an upgrade for the hilux. Can anyone add to this, and is it possible that there is an upgrade solution that I have not heard about to legally increase gmv to 3000kg or more.
garry r

Re: gmv upgrade

Postby Steveyb on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 12:56 +0000

http://www.statewide4x4.com.au/gvm-prod ... eries.aspx

This was just one I found after 20 seconds on google
NLC
Steveyb

Postby garry r on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 2:02 +0000

Steveyb wrote:http://www.statewide4x4.com.au/gvm-products/toyota-hilux-150-series.aspx

This was just one I found after 20 seconds on google

Yes great looking ute with mods but. There is no mention of a GMV legal upgrade from the factory gvm listing as I was looking for. A suspension upgrade does not increase the legal gmv loading from factory for registration or insurances purposes in Vic. I cannot find anything in regards to my inquiry in past forums apart fro suspension upgrades. Thanks tough for your response.
garry r

Postby Jacko9 on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 3:36 +0000

That's how they increase the gvm as far as I am aware. It'll also be engineered from memory. Mate just ring or email the ultimate suspension, from memory they do legal gvm upgrades.
Jacko9

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 4:48 +0000

Not 100% sure about the lux but at work we do gvm upgrades to other makes of utes with ome suspension kits. When the upgrade is done there is a sticker, like a mod plate that is put on. Fitters obviously have to be licensed to do the mod.
TOYZX

Postby garry r on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 4:53 +0000

Jacko9 wrote:That's how they increase the gvm as far as I am aware. It'll also be engineered from memory. Mate just ring or email the ultimate suspension, from memory they do legal gvm upgrades.

As far as I am aware, you can upgrade your suspension to increase your load capacity so the rear does not hang on the ground. Legally you cannot load the vechile beyond the recommended factory plate that states max gmv 2780kg without an engineers cert and submitted to (Vic) Vicroads who will then supply you with and updated plate stating your increased gmv from manufactures standard. Most people will load their vechile beyond stated factory gvm plate. You add a few mods, load your gear and fill the tank add persons and you have now exceeded the max gmv of the vechile. Changing your suspension does not legally change your gmv rating. The question was does anyone know is their a legal gmv upgrade for the hilux from factory std that is engineered and legal with the road authorities. I realise that other manufactures do an upgrade to some vechiles and give you a certificate that the transport authorities when issue a new plate. My query is in reference primarily to the hilux post 2000. I am also led to believe you need more than a suspension upgrade for the current lux. eg a brake upgrade and rear axles are not up to the load std required. These are areas I do not know about but, others may know of more requirements other than suspension. At this stage vicroads stated that there no current legal upgrade to std gmv to their knowledge. My local country Vicroads agent
Last edited by garry r on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 5:04 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
garry r

Postby oggy on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 4:56 +0000

Think you can only do one before you register a new vehicle :?: :?: http://www.lovellsauto.com.au/product12f.php

edit:
"Should A GVM Upgrade Be Fitted Before Or After Registration?

You Can Fit A GVM Upgrade Both Before & After Registration!

New vehicles can be fitted prior to registration as long as a ‘federal’ compliance kit is available. They are simply then registered with their new GVM as per the new compliance plate. This means that the vehicle is registered 'federally' with the GVM Upgrade. If the vehicle is sold or moved interstate then the compliance is still valid.

However as long as there is a state compliance kit available to suit your vehicle then you can also have a GVM fitted after the vehicle is registered. State compliance means that the GVM is only valid within the state that it is fitted & complied in. State compliance GVM upgrades also require the additional cost of the engineers inspection and sign off of the ugrade when it is completed. The vehicle may be driven Australia wide with the GVM being recognised nationally (under state registration), however if the vehicle is moved or sold interstate it will be required to be re-complied by an engineer for that particular state or territory."
From this site http://www.statewide4x4.com.au/faq.aspx

Double edit: (should have actually clicked on what Steveyb posted first :roll:

Ok , garry, statewide is in Keilor in Melbourne ,i don't think they would be offering kits that are suspension only if their was more required?? Perhaps give them a ring on 03 9484 7838 ;)
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Steveyb on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 5:58 +0000

Head back to the start and keep reading. All the answers are there.

"Our GVM kits are fully track tested in conjunction with a Certified Automotive Engineering Signatory over many days to achieve maximum stability, braking performance, ADR (Australian Design Rules) conformity and operator comfort, before test data and documentation are forwarded to the DEPARTMENT of INFRASTRUCTURE, TRANSPORT, REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT and LOCAL GOVERNMENT for full analysis."
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 9:14 +0000

This has been covered a few times and there are legitimate options out there. See these threads.

viewtopic.php?t=13500#p365403

viewtopic.php?t=7587

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22688&start=20

So looks like, Lovells, Ironman and Ultimate do them and can get them done after a vehicle has been registered, just costs more.

Pretty sure that clears up your question.

Here's a few other threads on it if you wish to read further.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=GVM+ ... gws_rd=ssl
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby garry r on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:46 +0000

thanks Rocket, shall check your above threads as well as give the guys in Keilor a ring, as I was told that there was no official upgrade from an engineer in taralgon so this is definitly worth following through
garry r

Postby William_Foster on Tue, 01 Sep 2015 7:20 +0000

I've got a Pedders GVM upgrade on mine; gives you 3,140kg. I did mine as a post-purchase; at around 20,000km.

Give Pedders a serious look; I looked at heaps of options; but there was reasonably priced, good to deal with (a big plus in comparison to the other options) and the result is fantastic. I've completed a big trip (13,000km) with the new suspension through the Kimberley and it is still feeling tighter than when I purchased it brand new. The Pedders set-up was a big improvement over standard.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby EFIwindsor on Sat, 12 Mar 2016 8:20 +0000

Does peddlers raised the vehicle
EFIwindsor

Postby William_Foster on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:01 +0000

EFIwindsor wrote:Does peddlers raised the vehicle

It raises it to within the legal requirements, so about 50mm. The back sits a little higher than the front if you have the back unloaded, but that is understandable given that it is designed to be driving with a higher constant weight.

Further details can be found at: http://www.pedders.com.au/kits/gvm-upgr ... kun26-2005

I've done over 20,000km with it on, including the Kimberley, and wouldn't change a thing; it handles brilliantly (for a 4wd) even when fully loaded.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby dave g on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 7:20 +0000

had a gvm upgrade just before xmass ironman up it to 3350kg on a sr5 2013 dc.
drop it off then pick it up all engineered just had to drop the paper work in to the rta. all done.
that is in n.s.w.
dave g

Postby Thomo416 on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 4:11 +0000

I have a 2005 with a GVM upgrade, I purchased the Vehicle from the CFA with the Upgrade fitted,
Its a Lovells kit and engineered, Its FARKING harsh ride when unloaded, I have hit bumps on bitto roads and they jar ya back,

I think I will take it out as its pretty uncomfy and would lift a wheel driving over a gutter
Thomo416

Postby amitch888 on Tue, 26 Apr 2016 7:15 +0000

I had my cruiser done pre first rego, plenty of company's do it.

As for the harsh ride, even though my gvm was lifted an extra 400kgs, I still had the option of 3 different suspension setups to carry different weights, all the same gvm limit. Mines still comfy even empty.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Return to Suspension