ICON Suspension

ICON Suspension

Postby knoxy on Mon, 08 Sep 2014 5:00 +0000

Alright, i've searched and searched, but i'm hoping for some definite answers and reviews here.

does ANYONE in this forum have ICON suspension? from stage 4 up? i'm talking about the remote reservoirs etc.

If so, how does it compare to MR kit? seems more expensive, but in the American market its well and truly earnt its name, most people place it in the top 3 (with fox and kings) but no one on this forum has said much about it?

I'm only interested in 2-3" lift, max i'd ever run is a 33" tyre, so huge lift isn't that important to me.

One mechanic I know is going off about, reckons it does shits on any and everything around, easily worth the extra ponies for their gear, saying that it's rebuildable and that's why it's so good.

the rest of this forum seem to swear by MR gear.

Anyone gone from one to the other? driven in both? running the ICON gear? comments on flex? ride comfort?

Thanks!
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Re: ICON Suspension

Postby patrick.2sv on Tue, 09 Sep 2014 4:38 +0000

patrick.2sv

Postby knoxy on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 2:32 +0000

Icon is also adjustable unto 3", the best i could find is 2" on the fox site.. does fox do a 3"?
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 3:11 +0000

Icon....due to its very high price and no one offering it locally specifically for a hilux is probably why you wont find much feedback on it.

Whereas, MR gear has been locally developed, tested and trialled for several years now with great response from the public.

Just because something is the duck guts in the USA doesnt specifically mean it will be the best option locally.

Like FOX suspension for hilux, I know several poeple that ran it, hated it because it was so stiff and ended up swapping it over for Rekon.

Thats not saying Fox is crap....far from it, but its not specifically designed or setup for our local vehicles/conditions.....unless you have the skill or are willing to pay someone multiple times to adjust the valving to where you would like it, it can get very costly very quickly.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby knoxy on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 4:54 +0000

Gday max, thanks for getting back to me!

Price wise, their top of the line gear landed is the same price as the new rekon gear delivered, hence the reason I'm looking at it.. Considering all my options in the market! around the sub 4k budget is what I'm hoping to spend, coil overs and ucas, already have a diff spacer (long term will get diff relocation) and hoping for 2.5-3" all round..

That's the thing I'm worried about, how it will perform on Australian soil... Valving (and I would LOVE to be corrected) can be controlled by the little screw on both MR new gear and the icon suspension, so I'm confused as to why I'd pay someone to do it.. Have I missed something? I understand shit all about suspension, I really just read reviews, posts and go off a test drive for most things, I'm stoked someone has finally weighed in!

Icon says its valved specifically for hilux 05+, going into detail how it was all done over the phone to me when I rang them last..

Cheers mate
knoxy

Postby Homer72 on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 5:08 +0000

How can it be valved specifically for the Hilux when they don't even get the vehicle in the states? And what weight do they set-up the system to handle? As Max said what works in other countries is usually crap here as what we want from our vehicles and our local conditions varies considerably. If it was my money I would be going with a local supplier that can offer a service and warranty if any issues arise. Looking at your Hilux and accessories fitted you're going to want a pretty heavy duty system. Have you tried The Ultimate Suspension?
Mark ;)

"You only live once, but if you do it right once is enough"
Homer72
Platinum Subscriber

Postby knoxy on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 5:26 +0000

"ICON Vehicle Dynamics’ Toyota Hilux suspension systems have been designed with maximum performance and the serious driver in mind. The varying uses of this vehicle worldwide were acknowledged and catered to in ICON’s research and development process. The Hilux Stage 4 system provides a level of performance that will drastically improve on and off-road vehicle ride characteristics. ICON's Vehicle-specific tuned 2.5” remote reservoir coilover shocks and ICON 2.0 Aluminum Series in this system provide exceptional cooling properties, with the coilovers utilizing ICON-engineered Eibach coil springs for superior vehicle “feel” throughout the range of travel. Remote reservoirs front and rear ensure optimum performance by increasing the duration of consistent damping, keeping the shocks at a cooler operating temperature during extended offroad use. These 2.5" remote reservoir coilovers are also height adjustable from 0-3” allowing the use of larger, more aggressive wheel and tire combinations when desired. ICON has taken into account the stiffer chassis of the Hilux, realizing a much more robust overall shock tune was required for sufficient damping ability across varying terrains and differing vehicle payloads. By using a shackle to lift the rear of the Hilux when the front is set to 3", factory payload rating is retained while allowing more suspension up-travel. Tubular uniball upper control arms on the Hilux not only add strength and durability, but help retain factory alignment spec range increasing caster over stock. This attention to detail is why ICON Vehicle Dynamics performance suspension systems are the ultimate solution for the Toyota Hilux."

Taken from the kits page, I imagine they've got a hilux out there? I'm not sure...

Spoke to ultimate, their kit for 3"+ is 7k OTD, so no go there.. Haha. Wish they did do a cheaper option! Rekon is looking pretty bloody good, if only they do a special 3.5k Christmas price or something.. Haha! Ah well,more saving is on the cards I guess! Thanks for the feedback :)

If anyone does get icon gear, feel free to review it here! I'll write something up when I go for a drive in one in a week or two! Also hopefully driving a rekon truck day before, so I'll compare the two (on road only, 5 minute drive of each don't expect a full review haha)

Cheers
knoxy

Postby taresk on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:30 +0000

I ran icon on my Prado, I can vouch for it's quality and performance, the valving was brilliant even though the kit I bought was for the slightly lighter 4Runner.

They have acquired a few Hilux's for testing, I've been in contact with them for a while, this is because they are branching out into international markets, and outside of the US the Hilux holds a huge marketshare.

They do have three official dealers here, and likely more will crop up as time goes on, they are in Perth, Geelong & Moorabbin.

As mentioned above they are expensive compared to more easily sourced gear, and Rekon gear is really high quality, so it really comes down to whether you want to shell out a little more for something different.
taresk

Postby knoxy on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 2:48 +0000

Thanks Taresk, exactly the feedback I was after! Cheers :)

Hopefully they worked pretty hard to hit the nail on the head with their hilux gear! Ah well,- test drive will tell!

Thanks for posting
knoxy

Postby kixx on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:13 +0000

Keep us updated knoxy, pretty keen on a set of those UCA's and hydraulic bump stops! :D
N80 Touring Rig WIP
kixx

Postby Gary_s on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 3:52 +0000

Gary_s

Postby julls on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 9:11 +0000

Hello,
I have King spring 2" lift on a 8/2015 to bring it back to level after a bullbar and winch fitment. i have just bent a factory fitted shock absorber and nee d to replace, what is the best selection to replace ? Cheers
julls

Postby taresk on Tue, 01 Sep 2020 8:00 +0000

julls wrote:Hello,
I have King spring 2" lift on a 8/2015 to bring it back to level after a bullbar and winch fitment. i have just bent a factory fitted shock absorber and nee d to replace, what is the best selection to replace ? Cheers

Well I can say that thanks to Covid, Icon is not a great option at the moment as supply from the USA is patchy at best, and prices have gone way up.

The best local equivalent would be Superior Engineering 2.5 series, however if you just want a simple replacement for the factory gear, there are endless options depending on your budget, Fulcrum, EFS, Ultimate, Ironman, Rancho, Bilstein, Old Man Emu, Rekon, I could go on and on.

You just need to decide how much you can spend, and I recommend avoiding no-name kits on e-bay.

If your springs are still good, you only need to buy the front strut.
taresk

Return to Suspension