Extended shackles problem?

Re: Extended shackles problem?

Postby Ciboats on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:44 +0000

Managed to get some photos up

Ciboats

Postby Packdaddy on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 7:31 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Extended shackles work best when matched with a longer leaf pack. So not fitted for height, but to benefit suspension droop if the shockers have enough open travel to make the most of it. So when fitted they are at 45 degrees or as close to it as possible. in which case ride comfort also increase, as the more vertical the shackle angle the harsher the ride as shock gets transmitted through the shackle to the chassis rather than the shackle helping the leaf work properly as it swings back.

When fitted to a standard spring pack, yes they give you some lift.

Hope that makes sense...and yeah, they are for offroad use only.

Cheers Max, makes sense. I assume that my Ultimate 2" lift still uses standard length leaves? In which case extended shackles would give me some lift and basically no change in articulation or ride quality because the shackles are pretty much vertical?
Packer

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14867

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby 02agro on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:29 +0000

im interested in knowing what springs u can use to have a longer spring pack? is there a off the shelf pack u can buy? if not what do people run to get the longer spring?
i am just at the stage now i am looking at doin this as i have extended shackles but am lifting rear to easy with bugger all flex. 8-)
* ex Hilux owner
*gq patrol with the works
* GOAT project rock crawler
02agro

Postby mudlux05 on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 5:27 +0000

ciboats

do you still have these shackles?
as im looking at a set and would like to know how good they are :)
mudlux05

Postby Ciboats on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:05 +0000

Hi mudlux

I decided against them due to issues with the law & money at the time. But then I scored a set of tough dog light load springs pretty cheap & the guy threw in a set of extended shackles as well.

I couldn't help myself I had to fit them. So far no regrets. They do stand out like dogs bits with the custom tray so I am expecting a knock on the drivers window one day. I am considering an under tray box design that will completely hide them unless you get on your knees & look up.

I do still look at them and am very curious with the design. One thing for sure is it will play havoc with your break line & load valve above diff. I had to re arrange my bracket for the shackles when I fitted mine. Any more leaf springs on mine & I was certainly going to need longer brake lines.

Cheers
Ciboats

Postby mudlux05 on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:16 +0000

Thanks heaps

I'm thinking it might be worth the risk and se how I go just carry my old one for a while as some spares haha
Yeah I was looking at extended brake lines as I think they might be needed soon
But with these shackles from what I can gather it will give me a decent amout of extra down travel some that may come in handy out bush.

Thanks
Jamie
mudlux05

Postby Ciboats on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 4:57 +0000

I agree but definitely longer brake lines. Keep me posted. Im so curious
Ciboats

Postby Skitz-4x4 on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 3:08 +0000

I've got a quection regarding extended shackles.. I've fitted the 2 inch extended shackles and in the future i am going to modify my standard leaf pack removing the second load leaf and swapping the top with a longer leaf to gain about 45 degree shackle angle as max has specified.. My question is when i add the longer leaf to the pack once the shackle angle is altered will it alter the 2 inches ive gained from the extended shackles?

Cheers skottie
Why Drink And Drive When You Can DriFt And Slide?!
Skitz-4x4

Postby 02agro on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 3:30 +0000

Skitz-4x4 wrote:I've got a quection regarding extended shackles.. I've fitted the 2 inch extended shackles and in the future i am going to modify my standard leaf pack removing the second load leaf and swapping the top with a longer leaf to gain about 45 degree shackle angle as max has specified.. My question is when i add the longer leaf to the pack once the shackle angle is altered will it alter the 2 inches ive gained from the extended shackles?

Cheers skottie

when u build your leaf pack if u take the second load leaf out your springs can sagg quite quickly. So u will need to get them reset before installing them, about 2'' higher higher. Extended shackle will not lift your truck that much but u will achieve more travel with the longer length of the shackle combined with longer top leaf and of course longer shocks.

my thoery for best rear end is 60mm longer top leaf minus 2nd load bar set @ 2'' combined with 10'' shocks mounted on a inverted rear bar set up from buds with lower tabs mounted on the side of your diff not ontop so u can get longer shocks

hope this helps :?
* ex Hilux owner
*gq patrol with the works
* GOAT project rock crawler
02agro

Postby Phatlux on Thu, 23 May 2013 5:31 +0000

I have the stage 1 rekon kit installed in my lux set at about 2" in the front(adjustable). In the rear I have medium duty tough dog springs set at 40mm. I am wanting to gain about another inch of lift. I figure my options are 1" lift blocks or extended shackles. What is everyone's preference? I think I'm leaning towards the lift blocks. I happy with the current set up of the suspension just want it to be an inch higher.

Ben
Phatlux

Postby Wadestar on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 7:26 +0000

Yes I'm interested In lifting the rear of my truck about 1" also and would like to know what the better option is blocks or extended shackles??? :D
Wadestar

Postby ogsmith on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 2:01 +0000

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Problem with lift blocks is that it gives the axle that extra inch of leverage on the U-bolts and in-turn, the springs, so it puts them under a huge amount of strain when accelerating hard or towing heavy equipment. I've just bought a set of extended greasable shackles for $120 off ebay so we'll see how they go! keep you posted if you like.
ogsmith

Postby ralphernator on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:45 +0000

For anyone interested I just purchased a set of EFS (GR387EX) extended rear shackles off ebay for only $120. They are only extended 30mm from original so IMO they are perfect if you already have a 2 inch lift and just want a little extra. Whats more is they have the same shape/profile as the stockies so once painted matt-black they look 100% OEM ;)
ralphernator

Postby scottellis88 on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 9:36 +0000

Has anyone had issues with the exhaust hitting or being hard up against your new extended shackles?? I installed mine yesterday and it is hard up against one of the nuts.
I trimmed a little bit of the excess stud off but it is still too close and knocks when running.
Currently got a strap around the exhaust pulling it away :lol: not ideal I know.

Anyone had the issue? is there anything I can adjust on the exhaust to redirect it slightly
scottellis88

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 4:14 +0000

Mine was the same when i fitted extended shackles i ended up getting a new tail piece fabbed up at a local exhaust shop
fracturedranga

Postby scottellis88 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 4:21 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:Mine was the same when i fitted extended shackles i ended up getting a new tail piece fabbed up at a local exhaust shop

Thanks mate, I wanted to get an exhaust system on the car so I might ask them to mod it while being fabbed up.
scottellis88

Previous

Return to Suspension