EFS rear springs

EFS rear springs

Postby GregSR on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:44 +0000

Can someone help me?

I'm planning to fit a pair of EFS Comfort/Medium rear leaf springs and I would like to know the "centre of hub to bottom of guard" measurement for an SR5 with the EFS spring packs fitted.
I'm very happy with the height of the rear now after having original packs reset and 1 over rider leaf removed.
Problem is it's still rough riding and I'm told the EFS will be smoother.
If the EFS raise the rear too much I will take an over rider out before fitting.

Greg
GregSR

EFS rear springs

Postby hiluxdan on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:59 +0000

I first got the EFS comforts for the rear of my tray back and yeah it was comfy but only brought the rear up about an inch and could'nt carry any load.
Put about 300kg in the back and the nose was very high.
Only kept them in for a few weeks.

Ended up with the next one up(dunno what they call it). Got about 2 inches over standard.
Ride is a bit harsher but i'm use to it now.
The bloke at the shop ended up fitting my comfort springs to his mates lux who wanted no lift.
He said they must have sagged cos ride height changed very little.
Hope this helps
Dan
hiluxdan

EFS rear springs

Postby GregSR on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 7:50 +0000

Thanks Dan,
That helps heaps, I'll fit them as they are and see how I go.
I have EFS and Bilsteins on the front and picked up 55mm, (from delivered height with accessories fitted, probably 15mm lower than standard, not standard height) I'm positive the fitter fitted HD's even though he assures me not.
Bullbar, dual battery and 40-45mm lift medium lift coils does not equal 55mm! Especially after 4,000 k's. Front rides firmly as well, I don't mind that as it dosn't kick like the back and it turns into corners like a sports car.
I'm not sure of the current rear lift as I've been mucking around with the leaf packs a fair bit, turning leaves over, removing some and adding others, car is now virtualy level and I really like the look of that.
I'll give the EFS's a go and, fingers crossed, it will be good.
Thanks again,
Greg
GregSR

EFS rear springs

Postby camwill69 on Sun, 24 Feb 2008 9:31 +0000

Greg,
I have the EFS Comfort soft rear springs with EFS shocks and love them. Towed the camper trailer all over the place with a load in the back with no issues (See profile for photo's). The ride is great as I have two kids that ride in the back, no complaints from them.

Will have a measure today and post some hight.

Regards,
Camwill69
camwill69

EFS rear springs

Postby GregSR on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 8:16 +0000

Thanks Camwill69,

I fitted them yesterday, they are great!

They came with 4 main leaves, 2 overriders and a short 10mm packer at the bottom, I took that out.

Fitted height centre of hub to bottom of guard, this negates differences between wheel and tyre sizes.

Front, Bilstein shocks EFS coils 530mm.

Rear, EFS shocks and spring pack, 590mm.

The ride is great, almost car like and I got to take the 4 bags of cement (80kgs) out that I was carrying to make the ride reasonable.

I had read your profile and testamonial on the EFS site but assumed you had the HD's due to the camper trailer, I just looked again and can't believe I missed it, "comfort" is clearly stated, I must be blind!

Anyway, all's good except I've now got the "driveline shudder" problem between 10 and 20 kph.

Has anyone found a cure for this with lifted ute's?

I'm sure it's caused by the lift, I had it with the original lifted resets, I removed an overrider (dropped it by 40mm) problem gone, fitted the EFS, lifted 20mm, and its back.

Any ideas?

Greg
GregSR

EFS rear springs

Postby jcarter on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:26 +0000

there is a thread somewhere about this
its to do with the angle of the drive shaft.
i believe the was to get some wedges on it somewhere.

search for wedge to start with ^_^, ill have a look and see if i can find the thread later.

edit*

here u go
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1025
jcarter

EFS rear springs

Postby GregSR on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:04 +0000

Thanks jcarter,

I had seen that thread earlier but reading through it appears nobody has actually cured the problem, hiluxdan seems to be the closest with tapered wedges and a lowered centre bearing, no result posted?

I'm thinking the Snake Racing 5 degree tapered wedges and a 10mm lower centre bearing is probably a good starting point?

Anybody with experience or ideas?

It's frustrating, the car is so good but not quite right!
GregSR

Return to Suspension