ironman suspension anygood?

Re: 2013 hilux suspension choices

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 9:38 +0000

taresk wrote:
Zookie13 wrote:Has anyone had good bad experiences with ironman?

I don't know what the specs or age are of the Ironman kit on my Hilux, it was fitted when I bought it, but I can say i'm not happy with their level of control, and the ride is very harsh, I find myself bouncing around a lot on rough roads (front and back). It is possible that it has a heavy duty kit despite lack of barwork to warrant it, but having driven two other hilux's of the same vintage offroad (one running OME, the other running Amada Extreme) I have seen that it can ride much better.

I should also mention that the front struts sound like they're worn right out (@ 120,000km) creaking and groaning (i'm thinking it's the coil insulator).

Hello taresk

I don't know if you have tried playing with your tyre pressures first?

If your running 8pr 116/113s light truck tyres the casings are very strong compared to the standard passenger rated 112s tyres and you dont need to run as much pressure --- especially if you don't have a bullbar.

I have LT D697 tyres on my lux and the casing is so incredibly strong Im now running only 26.5 PSI in the front ---- not just to get good tyre wear but also to improve handling and stop it "Skipping" around on corrugated roads.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth before you go spending money on new suspension

But if your still having trouble Utlimate Suspension and Sydney Shock Absorbers both know their stuff and in fact Sydney Shock Absorbers did all the R&D work on the TRD Hilux with Toyota.
Gulfstream8

Re: ironman suspension anygood?

Postby taresk on Mon, 16 Mar 2015 6:30 +0000

I have, I've found I need to be down around 20psi to stop it skipping about. If it was just the back end i'd put it down to being an empty ute on leaves, i'd almost expect that, but the front has nowhere near the control it should (even on the blacktop).

It was actually more noticeable when it had smaller tyres on, and as I mentioned above I have driven other hilux's on the same terrain, so I had a benchmark to judge mine with.

I am considering Ultimate now that my budget has shrunk, best to stick with what I know works.
taresk

Postby rds_929 on Sat, 27 Jun 2015 8:27 +0000

DAVE07 wrote:I have the ironman lift installed in my 2012 SR5 and am really happy with how it looks and handles. My hilux is 95% driven on the black stuff and only get a chance to do some moderate wheeling once every three or 4 weeks so im probably not as extreme as others but for where ive taken it, shes done very well. Ive got B springs in the front with a,15mm ironman spacer and medium leafs rear and has given me overall about 2.5 inches of lift and has settled well. The reasons why i went with ironman is that My cousin has iron man in his hilux and hes been up to the cape twice, and over to the kimberlies and he swears by it. Has never missed a beat. I also got a ripper deal through a friend where i paid $1350 for the lift and underbody protection installed. Don't get me wrong, i would have loved to have gone the monster rides stage 2 kit as it is an awesome bit of gear, but i thought for what I'm paying for the ironman and the amount of off roading I do i thought it was worth a shot and so far so good. Heres a few pics :)

can't believe you got that much lift when the kit states you should only get about 40mm of lift truck looks insane by the way very jealous
rds_929

Postby Rockracing on Sat, 27 Jun 2015 5:19 +0000

Hi guys have just got a sr 2011 and loaded it with my tools! Dropped about 70mm!!!
My ol landy had heavy as efs setup
Question is are they good I see I can get 30/40 mm lift etc.. Or is there other brands that are better
Tia.
Rockracing

Re: 2013 hilux suspension choices

Postby crisrachisaac on Sun, 28 Jun 2015 1:09 +0000

Zookie13 wrote:Has anyone had good bad experiences with ironman?

Zookie I used ironman in my Prado, and had maaaaaaaaaad overheating problems with my front shocks and they just went into fade real bad. By the end of the 140km dirt road, I felt like I had no shocks in the front and it was just all springy.

But in saying that, my old mans GQ patrol had Ironman suspension and he never had a drama. Probably because he spent more time bogged than moving ;) haha
crisrachisaac

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 09 Apr 2017 6:38 +0000

Just thought I'd put my $0.02 in on Ironman suspension. I got the 40mm lift constant load (200-400kg) kit put in about 18 months ago. I have a very heavy duty steel tray with a proper (steel) roll bar. Think mining spec. It weighs about 250kg. I also have a 50L water tank. 2x 30kg deep cycle batteries in my aluminium gull wing canopy with shelving etc in it. I really like it and it handles well. I'm starting to find now that when I'm fully loaded for a trip with the camper trailer attached and gear on the roof it's sagging a bit. I'm a bit hesitant to go with the 400kg+ springs as I think think it will be bumpy as hell when it's not loaded. I think I'll try a pair of the Load Plus helper springs first and see how it goes. That way I can adjust to the load.

But for the price, I'm happy with the Ironman kit. I paid about $1800 for it including installation. ARB were quoting about $500 more, and I couldn't see the extra value in the ARB kit. Will I buy Ironman next time? I probably won't, but not because they're bad, just because I'll have a much clearer idea of my needs are and I'll be able to pay a little more for more customised setup.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby SSAaron89 on Thu, 04 May 2017 7:53 +0000

wombat81 wrote:Just thought I'd put my $0.02 in on Ironman suspension. I got the 40mm lift constant load (200-400kg) kit put in about 18 months ago. I have a very heavy duty steel tray with a proper (steel) roll bar. Think mining spec. It weighs about 250kg. I also have a 50L water tank. 2x 30kg deep cycle batteries in my aluminium gull wing canopy with shelving etc in it. I really like it and it handles well. I'm starting to find now that when I'm fully loaded for a trip with the camper trailer attached and gear on the roof it's sagging a bit. I'm a bit hesitant to go with the 400kg+ springs as I think think it will be bumpy as hell when it's not loaded. I think I'll try a pair of the Load Plus helper springs first and see how it goes. That way I can adjust to the load.

But for the price, I'm happy with the Ironman kit. I paid about $1800 for it including installation. ARB were quoting about $500 more, and I couldn't see the extra value in the ARB kit. Will I buy Ironman next time? I probably won't, but not because they're bad, just because I'll have a much clearer idea of my needs are and I'll be able to pay a little more for more customised setup.

What kit did you go for?
I'm looking at the ironman foam cell pro kit. Got quoted just over 1800 supply only, however they will do the alignment for $45.
After hours of reading I still can't decide what to go for. I would like to go the caloffroad kit but I'm getting loads of help and questions answered from the local ironman joint.
My other option is a dobinsons kit with kings Springs. But the ironman kit has adjustable front struts and that sounds like a better idea.
Who knee it could be so hard deciphering the dozens of brands on offer
SSAaron89

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 04 May 2017 7:56 +0000

Replaced a set of adjustable ironman struts just yesterday cos theyd shat after 8k! Just saying what I see.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby dave g on Sat, 06 May 2017 7:27 +0000

I'm got ironman gvm kit in mine for last 18 months with the adjustable struts with on problem
Hi Toyzx with 8k I wood have handed them back and clam w.
my hilux came in at 2460 with a gvm of 3350. happy with the ride I'm getting
dave g

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 06 May 2017 8:07 +0000

They weren't mine man, I replaced them with bp51s at work.

TOYZX

Postby dave g on Sun, 07 May 2017 3:57 +0000

sorry mate I under stood that as I read same where on hear that your a fitter at ARB
have a good day
Dave.
dave g

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 07 May 2017 5:30 +0000

SSAaron89 wrote:What kit did you go for?
I'm looking at the ironman foam cell pro kit. Got quoted just over 1800 supply only, however they will do the alignment for $45.
After hours of reading I still can't decide what to go for. I would like to go the caloffroad kit but I'm getting loads of help and questions answered from the local ironman joint.
My other option is a dobinsons kit with kings Springs. But the ironman kit has adjustable front struts and that sounds like a better idea.
Who knee it could be so hard deciphering the dozens of brands on offer

I got the normal foam cell kit, constant load (200-400kg). I have an alloy bull bar (ECB), no winch, so I couldn't see myself mucking around with adjusting the pro shocks. I just installed the Load Plus springs today and they brought it back up to the correct height no dramas. I haven't driven around on them yet but the Ironman guys assure me that the ride will still be good.

Just a side note for anyone playing at home, I had an issue with the Load Plus on the drivers side rubbing against the exhaust. I have the U bolts pointing downwards and it was the metal bracket that sits under the existing springs that was just hitting the exhaust. You cant turn the u bolts upwards because then they are too close to the chassis, so I had to grind the corner off the bracket, and tighten the load plus springs a little to make it sit a touch higher and it's fine now.

As for choosing a kit, I wouldn't overthink the shocks too much. You would expect the springs to last much longer than the shocks in any kit. So get the springs that suit you best and if you don't love the shocks you can always change them down the track.
wombat81

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 07 May 2017 5:44 +0000

TOYZX wrote:They weren't mine man, I replaced them with bp51s at work.

Did the vehicle have Ironman springs in it, or did you replace those too? I'd be interested to hear how the test drive went with Ironman springs and BP51s and how it handled.

Thanks.
wombat81

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 07 May 2017 6:47 +0000

In the rear you mean?? In the front the bp51s replace the whole strut assembly, spring and all. As for the rear, to be honest I didn't even look much at the springs tho it did have ironman shocks. Guy has already said he'll be replacing the rears when he can afford it.

TOYZX

Previous

Return to Suspension