Extreme bump steer - Alignment specs included

Extreme bump steer - Alignment specs included

Postby Bannisterr on Tue, 30 Nov 2021 7:33 +0000

Hey all, hope everyone is doing well.

For about a year now, I've been just dealing with my Hilux handling like crap. Decided this needed to be sorted as its terrible for long trips and really lowers my confidence in the car.

It's an 05 model running 265/17/70's with a 2 inch suspension lift (fulcrum shocks and kings(?) springs) and a 1 inch body lift to mitigate some tyre rubbing issues. The lower control bushings are polyurethane Nolathane's opposed to the rubber oem bushes. While replacing these bushes, the front right hand LCA mount was damaged and had to be re welded (doesnt look great but it is the correct dimensions) . The lower ball joints are starting to wear, but not out of spec yet.

When driving over any bumps (even very small ones) in the road, my steering wheel jerks. This is throughout all speed ranges. The steering isn't super light, yet is very sensitive to road input. This, mixed in with a very bouncy/rough ride and feeling road noise through the steering wheel, really takes the enjoyment out of the car.

So far I've replaced:
Steering rack (Mounting bolts are correctly torqued)
Tie rod ends
Wheel bearings
Sway bar bushings/links
New adjustable upper control arm
CV joints
Small spacer for centre bearing to reduce some vibrations after lift

All wheels have been balanced and I have taken it to 4 different shops with no better results, the last being Pedders (good blokes). Below are the specs that may help figure out these steering gremlins :mrgreen: Note - None of the shops have adjusted the alignment using the adjustable UCA's yet.

Left Right
Toe - 0.4mm 0.5mm
Camber - -00 16' -00 14'
Caster- 03 32' 02 58'

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm really starting to give up on this car's suspension issues.
If anyone one knows a good knowledgeable wheel or suspension shop I could get my next alignment at please let me know :D
Bannisterr

Re: Extreme bump steer - Alignment specs included

Postby hylux on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 6:16 +0000

Bump steer could also be rear suspension particularly shocks. I had a triton years ago from new that was dangerous. Put new shocks in which were pedders at the time and fixed it.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Bannisterr on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 7:43 +0000

hylux wrote:Bump steer could also be rear suspension particularly shocks. I had a triton years ago from new that was dangerous. Put new shocks in which were pedders at the time and fixed it.

I was curious if that was causing the issue as well a few months back so I installed some different leaf springs and new fulcrum shocks. Issue was still present, so I put my old springs back in. The rear is for sure contributing to the issue though, rides awful even after putting 300kg of weight in the tub.
Bannisterr

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 1:36 +0000

Try a Heavy Vehicle Tyre joint and tell them you're happy to spend the required money to get it done right.
Most Heavy Vehicle tyre joints have people that "LOVE" their Hilux's and tend to look after them better than the trucks they work on.
Before you all say I'm stereotyping, this is a generalised observation taken from 40 odd years of having work done on various vehicles.
Rob_Wood

Postby Bannisterr on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 2:01 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Try a Heavy Vehicle Tyre joint and tell them you're happy to spend the required money to get it done right.
Most Heavy Vehicle tyre joints have people that "LOVE" their Hilux's and tend to look after them better than the trucks they work on.
Before you all say I'm stereotyping, this is a generalised observation taken from 40 odd years of having work done on various vehicles.

Will likely go down this route cheers mate.
Bannisterr

Postby hylux on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 2:38 +0000

Also see if you have a truck alignment centre in your area. I have one here and they know their stuff on 4x4
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Bannisterr on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 7:47 +0000

hylux wrote:Also see if you have a truck alignment centre in your area. I have one here and they know their stuff on 4x4

Will do mate, I'll keep this post updated with the progress :D
Bannisterr

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 01 Dec 2021 8:16 +0000

hylux wrote:Also see if you have a truck alignment centre in your area. I have one here and they know their stuff on 4x4

Newcastle is a little far for me, still looking for someone here. Every since old Bruce retired the "Pride in the Work" and the attention to detail seem to be lacking around town. I'll keep looking, I haven't tried them all yet. Only a matter of time to "work through the list".
Rob_Wood

Postby Nam_hilux on Sun, 04 Dec 2022 11:54 +0000

Did you ever get the problem resolved? I think my hilux has the same problem
Nam_hilux

Postby Bannisterr on Sat, 04 Mar 2023 8:17 +0000

Nam_hilux wrote:Did you ever get the problem resolved? I think my hilux has the same problem

Hi mate sorry for the late reply.

I have no fixed the issue unfortunately.
Really at a loss with this one
Bannisterr

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 05 Mar 2023 10:56 +0000

The other thing to remember is that you are driving a truck ... Albeit a small truck it's still a truck and it won't always drive like an F1 race car.
Thinking through it all ... 17" standard on 2005? 16" was standard for my 2004 and I'm running 15". The higher tire profile makes for a smoother ride when I run them at around 30 psi.. steel rims seem to be more forgiving in rougher environments.
Rob_Wood

Return to Suspension