GVM Upgrade HELP PLEASE

GVM Upgrade HELP PLEASE

Postby Scoobalimalima on Sat, 14 Aug 2021 9:02 +0000

Hi all.

Has anyone recently gotten a GVM upgrade on a Kun26/N70 Hilux? I am based in WA and I have been told that due to some rule changes that it can no longer be done anymore, is this really the case? I've invested a lot of time and $$ into my 2015 N70 touring rig and I'll be shattered if I have no way of getting a GVM upgrade. My current setup is a Dobinson 2" remote res kit with 450kg constants in the rear, I spoke to a bloke from some suspension shop at a 4WD show here in WA and he said that what I have onboard is basically a GVM upgrade kit and that normally I'd just have to pay for someone to look over it, pay some $$ and get the new GVM plate BUT because the rules have changed now it cannot be done. Can I take it intestate somewhere to get done or is it not allowed nationally now?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

SLL
Scoobalimalima

Re: GVM Upgrade HELP PLEASE

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 14 Aug 2021 11:44 +0000

Scooby,
I feel certain that it all depends on which State you're in. For you in WA it will be different for us in NSW and different again for QLD and so on. Having said that I also saw a Web Video thing by DVM or DWM (not sure exactly which) the other day about how their whole business is based around doing GVM upgrades. They were doing one on a 70 Series to put in a competition for someone to win with a camper trailer. Not sure where they were based, but they touted having all the engineering to get it done right. Ssooo, Maybe, it might be possible (if it's no good in your own state), to visit another state, get the engineering tickets and certifications and job done so that you can then take it back home ... MAYBE.
Sounds to me like a lot of effort AND a lot of expense, but each to their own I guess.
Good Luck, Maybe someone else knows more about the "Interstate Rules" than I do?
Rob_Wood

Postby Myralga on Sun, 15 Aug 2021 7:37 +0000

Scoot ring a reputable 4WD store and ask about the process of a post rego GVM upgrade.
I’m not 100% on the process in WA but I do know it can be done.
It’s done all the time in ARB iron man TJM etc

You will have to have a fair bit of info.
Basically you need to prove that everything that was fit to your car is a GVM upgrade kit for Dobinson
Seeing as they do Pre rego kits that are recognized nationally then this should be a simple matter of getting the info from a dobinson supplier and comparing your fit out to their list.
I do know there is a matter of an inspection and possibly a weigh Bridge etc. if you can’t find someone I help you on a local level from dobinson try something like arb or TJM state office hear in Perth they At least should be able to point you in the right direction etc.

But certainly don’t stress it can definitely be done post rego in WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Viper82 on Mon, 16 Aug 2021 4:41 +0000

I live in S.A and just recently did a gvm upgrade on my N80. As it was post rego and over a year old I had to take it through recency which is the vehicle inspection place. I went through ARB and all the part numbers had to match what they have got engineered for the SSM for the GVM upgrades.
Viper82

Return to Suspension