Dobinsons Suspension Questions

Re: Dobinsons Suspension Questions

Postby reLUXing on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 6:32 +0000

hey guys just joined the forum and bought a 2015 sr extra cab last week looking at Dobinson and unlimited
I only want 2'' lift nothing too high but around 45-50mm after the weight of bulbar winch and brush bars to achieve 45mm of lift would I need a 3'' kit to allow for sagg or will the 2'' be ok with HD suspension?

any help would be good as I don't know to much about it cheers.
reLUXing

Postby shamat on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 8:13 +0000

I just put the Dobinsons MRR setup in mine last weekend. Price was compatible to Ultimate abut I was won over by the adjustable height and remote resivior setup.
So far so good....
shamat

Postby fourby4diesel on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 5:42 +0000

Hi peeps,

I supply & sometimes fit DOBINSONS suspension.
I only do Hilux & Prado, lets talk Hilux, been using their kits for years, only ever had one problem with a front strut, it was leaking right away, might have been overfilled???? Anyway service was second to none!!!
I have had many problems with front struts for 120 Prado so I don't use those anymore, they have been advised, till there's a change for the better. (Travel is too short).
Prado 150 is good gear also, good travel & coil selections.
Good travel lengths in Hilux gear & many coils to choose any height you like it's not a standard 65mm.
You can have 40 or 50mm or whatever! It's all about expert spring selection.
So overall everybody is very happy. I endorse it.

I hope that feedback helps you guys make your decisions which brands.

Cheers,

Anth.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby cheapthrills on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 8:04 +0000

Hi All,

I have a new 2015 SR Hilux Dual Cab,

Just wondering if anyone has put a 2inch lift in one yet? If so, can you please provide an idea of who i can get it through, if there is any issues etc. (Brisbane Area)

Apparently ARB, TJM etc. won't have their kits out until January (probably late) and i want to fit bigger tyres early and i am tentative about going for a Monster Rides lift this early..

Looking to put on 275/70/17 preferably (if the will fit) or settle for 265/70/17 :/

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
cheapthrills

Postby enis.ibrahim on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 6:46 +0000

Hi All,

I just got a the Dobinson Monotube Remote Resorvoir (MRR) installed into my 2007 Toyota Hilux sr5,
I was initially going to go with a tough dog kit,but wanted to have the heigh adjustable setup,just incase i was unhappy with the height,or incase i was going to add extra weight,which will allow me to level it out very easily.

I had the complete kit installed with leafs,struts,ubolts,shackles,and the actual struts,springs etc.

It has been 2 weeks since i had it installed, the dealer set the lift to 2 inches,which is legal and it made a huge difference to ride comfort,feel and looks heaps better.

I highly recommend the Dobinson MRR to anyone with a 4x4 Dual cab Hilux,who wants to get flexibility and a good quality affordable suspension.

I had mine done at 4x4 Solutions Bundoora,who currently have a free 1100mm trek or mean mother recovery kit with every suspension purchase.It cost around $2500 installed for everything.

Thankyou,

Dennis
2007 Hilux D4D SR5 DUAL CAB BLACK
Mods never end! Cant stop thinking about whats next! Never satisfied with what we have haha
enis.ibrahim

Postby Stuey on Sat, 02 Apr 2016 4:46 +0000

Hi All,

I have the full kit, very happy. I was having issues with stability control and brake assist kicking in early but ty hat has all stopped since fitting the kit. Much beter on and off road, extra height work a treat too.

See Austral tyre and mechanical there just down the road from the dobinson factory

Cheers
Stuey
Stuey

Postby enis.ibrahim on Sun, 12 Feb 2017 8:58 +0000

Hi Fellas,

Just an update to the above post.

The suspension has become terrible,
i havent changed anything and it has become so stiff, you feel every bump in the road and cant even keep a conversation going.

I am sick of having to tell every passenger that its uncomfortable because they are heavy duty.However i have a bullbar,winch and fridges etc in the back with high rated springs/leafs..Its just terrible.

Now i need to spend the big bucks again to fix it all up :(..

Wish i had just went with bilsteins or ultimate.
2007 Hilux D4D SR5 DUAL CAB BLACK
Mods never end! Cant stop thinking about whats next! Never satisfied with what we have haha
enis.ibrahim

Postby BillyGoatCountry on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 6:02 +0000

I won’t be using dobinsons again.

My front struts squeaked so loud from day one that my missus can hear me when I turn into our street , I complained to dobinsons and they just blamed everything else “control arm bushes mate” but it didn’t squeak before.

Now one strut has snapped in half , just driving on ashpalt , now I happen to be a qualified welding inspector and I can see a weld defect which is called “cold lap” where the weld overlaps but the dobinson website says warranty only 2 years on defects so especially based on my previous experience with them denying the noise was their liability , I think I am wasting oxygen trying to get replacements under warranty ?

They are 3 years old.

I am just glad the vehicle didn’t flip when the strut collapsed
BillyGoatCountry

Postby VMN on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 2:02 +0000

Here at VMN, we've had some customer feedback about the brand of shock you mention. We are working on an alternative remote reservoir shock absorber that is built the way a shock should be.

Shown here fitted to our 2018 Hilux R&D Truck

And no welds to break. :lol: :lol:

Yes, they'll cost a bit more than the alternative but we are doing our best to keep them affordable. And they have compression adjusters and proper Japanese made O rings for seals, not some halfbaked compressed washer some use.

This is part of our VMN Hilux High Lift project which I need to provide an update about but we are getting down to the cosmetic things.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 5:32 +0000

Or just get Ultimate Suspension shocks. I tried bling shocks, I'm going back to ultimates.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby VMN on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 5:43 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Or just get Ultimate Suspension shocks. I tried bling shocks, I'm going back to ultimates.

You really can't go too far wrong with Ken and Brendan but they are based in the wrong state for a Queenslander. We did have some discussions about working together a while ago but we kinda both moved on so the opportunity disappeared...
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Sartor on Tue, 15 Oct 2019 9:58 +0000

Hey guys, I am in the search for a new suspension.

First, we are running in EU / Balkans. Lots of guys here run Dobinsons without the described issues - the local dealer is actually importing directly from Australia.

Anyway, from what I see was that you had problems with MRR. However, it seems that you started to have these issues once their service time was due. I experience such stiffness on my bikes when I do not change the oil for more than an year and usually start to go off camber on jumps or bumpy rock rivers.

So, my question is: did you try to service them (as far as I know these are serviceable)? Did that resolve the issues?

@BillyGoatCountry, do you happen to have a screenshot of the "cold lap" weld to check with local dealer if Dobinson addressed the issue?
Sartor

Previous

Return to Suspension