bilstein shocks

Re: bilstein shocks

Postby badart on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:14 +0000

Wow thanks a lot man, been looking for this info for a really long time. I visit the US often so it would be much cheaper to buy it there. The only my suspension is still stock, the 5100's at the front would still work right?
badart

Postby rysermon on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:15 +0000

NimrodAUS wrote:King sprigs seems to be the go with the bilstein shocks, toowoomba steering have a pretty good deal going on their website This is an extract

"Bilstein/King Springs/Super Pro Enhancement kit to Suit 2005 - Toyota Hilux
Kit includes front & rear Bilstein Shock absorbers, front HD Raised King Springs, rear HD raised King’s leaf springs, 2*grease able rear shackles, 2* grease able shackle pins & Super Pro Shackle bushes."

$1694 inc gst
Installation extra

Seems ok yeah?

Personally I'd probably opt for let hd rear springs as I want comfort and won't be carrying much weight

i have this kit with HHDs on the front and i think its fantastic although for personal reference id like to know what model my bilstein shocks are... anyone?
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby FM78LUX on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 1:33 +0000

badart wrote:Wow thanks a lot man, been looking for this info for a really long time. I visit the US often so it would be much cheaper to buy it there. The only my suspension is still stock, the 5100's at the front would still work right?

Not a problem my friend, and to answer to your question, the answer is yes. Hope all works out well for you...

Cheers
FM78LUX

Postby christianluer on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 4:51 +0000

FM78LUX wrote:
badart wrote:Hey guys interested in finding out the part number for the bilstein shocks also, can some one post it up? Thanks

Badart I got some part numbers for you. Please note these are all US Bilstein part no. But they will fit our Hiluxes guaranteed.

I just did it and they work flawless and for maybe much less money you can purchase them in the US.

Depending on what and how want your set up I will probably guide you better, but normally all of us have 2" lift so for the front 5100 Series Bisteins your part no. is 24-186711

If you want the rear ones as well, It will have to be the 5125 Series. For a stock rear to a lifted application of up to 0"-1" in the rear your part no. will be this one 33-185506 14.06" Collapsed and 22.5" Extended. If you run or your plans are to run bigger/extended rear springs with extended shackes I will recommend a longer travel with part no. 33-186542. They will work perfect with a 2"rear lift. This last ones have a 15.11" Collapsed travel and 24.35" Extended as you can see they have 1" more in up and downtravel.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions.....shoot!

Thanks for the info.
A ebay seller of these Bilstein shocks told me that they may be a little soft for the Hilux, whats your opinion?
I also wrote an email to Bilstein Australia. They have a Bilstein lift kit specific for the Hilux, but is much more expensive than the 5100 and 5125 pack.
With the 5100 in front and 5125 rear, that mean i level the truck, can i fit 33 inch tires? or do i need a 3 inch lift in front and lift the rear too?
For the Hilux would you recommend the 4runner, tacoma, fjcruiser or tundra 5100?
christianluer

Postby FM78LUX on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 6:24 +0000

Hey Christian,

On the contrary, before me having the Bilsteins installed, I was using OLD MAN EMU.and the Bilsteins I have now are way much firmer than OME. There might be a small difference comparing the Bilsteins of the US toe the ones in Australia but I believe for the money you are better off getting the US ones thy are built for the Toyota Tacoma which share the same front suspension components. So you will be ok and save tons of money.
In regards to the lift, yes you will be able to level the truck nicely with 5100 in the front and 5125 in the rears with the part no. I quoted. I have OME 2" front springs and I was able to fit a 33" with minor shaving on the inner wall of the fender flares. Note :leveling the truck with the 5100 in the front doesn't mean necessarily that you will fit a 33" tire, you can try leaving the stock spring with the shock in the top position but then again you will decrease your down travel or droop. I would at least get the OME or any spring like KINGS to use in conjunction with the 5100 and be safe. But you can try. I have 2" OME in the front. Now for the back yes you will be able to fit the 33" tire with no problems. But if I where you I would look for at least a 1" add a leaf springs in the rear if the case is that you didn't want to use lift springs in the back. Just let me know how your truck is right now and I will guide you better to make a rig decision
Cheers
Franco
FM78LUX

Postby Alby on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 8:54 +0000

I have tried both and agree the Bilsteins are definately firmer than the OME gear
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby christianluer on Sun, 24 Nov 2013 1:07 +0000

FM78LUX wrote:Hey Christian,

On the contrary, before me having the Bilsteins installed, I was using OLD MAN EMU.and the Bilsteins I have now are way much firmer than OME. There might be a small difference comparing the Bilsteins of the US toe the ones in Australia but I believe for the money you are better off getting the US ones thy are built for the Toyota Tacoma which share the same front suspension components. So you will be ok and save tons of money.
In regards to the lift, yes you will be able to level the truck nicely with 5100 in the front and 5125 in the rears with the part no. I quoted. I have OME 2" front springs and I was able to fit a 33" with minor shaving on the inner wall of the fender flares. Note :leveling the truck with the 5100 in the front doesn't mean necessarily that you will fit a 33" tire, you can try leaving the stock spring with the shock in the top position but then again you will decrease your down travel or droop. I would at least get the OME or any spring like KINGS to use in conjunction with the 5100 and be safe. But you can try. I have 2" OME in the front. Now for the back yes you will be able to fit the 33" tire with no problems. But if I where you I would look for at least a 1" add a leaf springs in the rear if the case is that you didn't want to use lift springs in the back. Just let me know how your truck is right now and I will guide you better to make a rig decision
Cheers
Franco

Thanks again for your info Franco. I have a few more questions.
I have stock springs and leafs springs and don´t want to change them for a while.
How is the offroad and onroad performance of the 5100 and 5125 compared to the stock struts/shocks? Is it softer, stiffer, bumpier?
What do you recommend for the rear suspension, 5125, 5150, 5160? all of these with stock leaf springs, considering just leveling the truck, and of course the 5100 in front.
I have a Hilux 3.0 diesel, 4x4, 2011.

Thanks again.
christianluer

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 1:54 +0000

The 5100 series Bilsteins are made in the USA to meet a certain price bracket.

The 5100 is a very good shock but they do not contain the same components as the German made Bilsteins designed for our Hilux.

The TRD Hilux Bilsteins and the Bilsteins sold by Bilstein Australia for our Hilux have been Valved for our conditions and the Hilux as well. They also contain more robust components for our very tough conditions.
Gulfstream8

Postby FM78LUX on Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:49 +0000

Thanks again for your info Franco. I have a few more questions.
I have stock springs and leafs springs and don´t want to change them for a while.
How is the offroad and onroad performance of the 5100 and 5125 compared to the stock struts/shocks? Is it softer, stiffer, bumpier?
What do you recommend for the rear suspension, 5125, 5150, 5160? all of these with stock leaf springs, considering just leveling the truck, and of course the 5100 in front.
I have a Hilux 3.0 diesel, 4x4, 2011.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Hello Christian,

Sorry for my super late response! I apologize. Have been a while lost and have not logged to the forum in a long time. To answer your question, the major difference is that the Truck will have less roll side to side, meaning you will have better stability since the shocks have a better dampening and the valving inside is different and more heavy duty. Your car will still be smooth but you will feel that the entire body of the car will not roll as stock when you turn to the right and to the left.
Cheers
FM78LUX

Postby rysermon on Thu, 02 Oct 2014 10:23 +0000

5100's? i have a yellow bilstein shock and from what i been told and foudn theyre a bilstein b6 off road shock, how does this compare to the 5100s? :S
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby dv8 on Thu, 22 Jan 2015 2:14 +0000

I've been trying to work out the same thing. Fulcrum gave me a quote yesterday and I asked about this, they said they don't know where people get all these numbers from lol. They told me the ones they supply are the b6 with 3 grooves for height adjustment and they are yellow.
dv8

Postby GURUVARP on Tue, 10 May 2016 2:02 +0000

GREAT INFO FM78LUX - badart was actually finding out for my stock suspension 2012 hilux . I replaced the front bumper with a vpr Ultima bumper that weighs 126 lbs. Suspension in the front is dealing with the weight kind of ok but with when going over bumps or depressions at fast speed, the shocks are not dampening enough and its audible. I ordered the front Bilstein 5100 part no. 24-18671. Still have to install. If works out well will go with the rear.
GURUVARP

Postby GURUVARP on Tue, 10 May 2016 2:23 +0000

can you put a link for the rear shocks? on amazon....I have stock suspension in the rear, just looking to change the shocks
GURUVARP

Postby GURUVARP on Mon, 23 May 2016 1:56 +0000

not finding the bilstein 33-185506 to buy online- it is for the rear stock height
GURUVARP

Previous

Return to Suspension