Monster Rides Rekon 1 or Touch Dog for 2"

Monster Rides Rekon 1 or Touch Dog for 2"

Postby shamat on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:43 +0000

OK, I've searched the forum but cant find any recent posts regarding a comparison of these two suspension setups.
I've got the OK from the Minster of War & Finance to purchase a 2" lift for my 2011 SR Lux.

I've been really impressed with what I've read about the Monster Rides Rekon kit, but it is considerably more expensive than what I can get a Tough Dog Adjustable setup for.. And I mean A LOT more expensive. What i could save by going Tough Dog I could buy a few more goodies (that I'd otherwise have to save for).

Has anyone recently installed the Tough Dog adjustable (+150 front, +300 rear)? Have they proven to be good value or if you could do it again would yo have gone with the MR setup from the start?

Thanks in advance.
Shamat
shamat

Re: Monster Rides Rekon 1 or Touch Dog for 2"

Postby jaydo on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 1:38 +0000

Hey mate, not sure if this will help with your budget or not, but you can pick and choose what parts you do and don't want with the MR kit. You don't have to buy a whole stage. All I did with mine was coil overs, swaybar relocator and rear springs and shocks. That was just under 2k for memory but I got the bash plates as well which took it a bit over. Tough dog kit is slightly under around the 1500-1700$ mark last i checked?
jaydo

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 4:34 +0000

What is a touch dog :lol:
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby shamat on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 5:48 +0000

jaydo wrote:Hey mate, not sure if this will help with your budget or not, but you can pick and choose what parts you do and don't want with the MR kit. You don't have to buy a whole stage. All I did with mine was coil overs, swaybar relocator and rear springs and shocks. That was just under 2k for memory but I got the bash plates as well which took it a bit over. Tough dog kit is slightly under around the 1500-1700$ mark last i checked?

Thanks Jaydo,
Budgets not the issue.. its is the MR kit that much better?
The TD setup is adjustable and uses a foam cell shock where the MR is Nitro Monotube (I belive).
shamat

Postby Derchie on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 6:30 +0000

You Really can't compare Tough Dog to MR.

If Budget isn't a issue i'd get MR or DMS!!
I don't get drunk.Anymore
Derchie

Postby shamat on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 7:04 +0000

Derchie wrote:You Really can't compare Tough Dog to MR.

If Budget isn't a issue i'd get MR or DMS!!

What makes them so much better (and expensive)?
Happy to spend the $$ if the cost difference is justified.
From what I've read they are both reasonably good, but there is a $600+ premium for th MR (basic stage 1 and rear springs).
shamat

Postby jaydo on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 12:10 +0000

MR is adjustable up and down. 2-4" pick your ride height and make it work. I believe the TD lift isn't adjustable up and down, isn't it to do with the dampening and load on rear?
jaydo

Postby carjos on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 1:12 +0000

I went MR matrix for the reputation and adjustability. I didn't plan on doing much more than a 2" lift but because they are so long and droop so much I'm going to have to either limit droop, install a diff drop and UCA's or all 3. The rear shocks are also borderline too long for a 2" lift and would destroy themselves if the bump stop isn't extended. Great gear but it looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more to make it work as it should, or just get something else
carjos

Postby shamat on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 4:34 +0000

carjos wrote:I went MR matrix for the reputation and adjustability. I didn't plan on doing much more than a 2" lift but because they are so long and droop so much I'm going to have to either limit droop, install a diff drop and UCA's or all 3. The rear shocks are also borderline too long for a 2" lift and would destroy themselves if the bump stop isn't extended. Great gear but it looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more to make it work as it should, or just get something else

Thanks Carjos.
I'm only after a 2 inch lift (as any taller wont get into the car park at work) amd my typical use is for touring towing my camper trailer... sounds like there is a lot more capability than i need in the MR setup.
shamat

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 5:32 +0000

Thought about the ultimate suspension? I put it in my old hilux and was very happy, I am just waiting to finish all the modifications on my new hilux and this will get the same treatment, as they were very prompt in getting back to me, and had a good product. I pulled out tough dog to put the ultimate suspension in, and there was a measurable difference.
Jacko9

Postby shamat on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 5:54 +0000

Jacko9 wrote:Thought about the ultimate suspension? I put it in my old hilux and was very happy, I am just waiting to finish all the modifications on my new hilux and this will get the same treatment, as they were very prompt in getting back to me, and had a good product. I pulled out tough dog to put the ultimate suspension in, and there was a measurable difference.

Yeah, Ultimate were a consideration, but after speaking to a few people the general feedback was that their kit was awesome on road but a little stiff off road.
Brenadan at Ultimate was very helpful and i know their aervice is excellent, but Im really looking for that balance of good all round.
shamat

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 6:07 +0000

i didn't think mine was stiff off-road, but I don't really go wheeling much, so perhaps that is what they are referring to. I am on a 100,000 acre farm and shoot across plenty of dirt and wouldn't consider the Ultimate stuff rough compared to the tough dog that was pulled out, even when new, it is firm, but no way would I consider it rough, A mate just put tough dog in a new space cab, it rides reasonably well, but the HD springs still squat in the back with his tray unfortunately.
Jacko9

Postby carjos on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 7:19 +0000

No worries mate, bit of a pain really. I'd just ask Brendan the question if you've heard it's rough, I've heard nothing but good about them so I'm sure he will have something that will work for you. The other one that comes to mind is dobinsons MRR kit there's been a few people banging on about that lately
carjos

Re: Monster Rides Rekon 1 or Touch Dog for 2

Postby packeteer on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 9:30 +0000

shamat wrote:Yeah, Ultimate were a consideration, but after speaking to a few people the general feedback was that their kit was awesome on road but a little stiff off road.
Brenadan at Ultimate was very helpful and i know their aervice is excellent, but Im really looking for that balance of good all round.

that's interesting, coz ime, Ultimate is known as being soft and flexy
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Re: Monster Rides Rekon 1 or Touch Dog for 2

Postby aandy on Mon, 02 Nov 2015 11:15 +0000

packeteer wrote:
shamat wrote:Yeah, Ultimate were a consideration, but after speaking to a few people the general feedback was that their kit was awesome on road but a little stiff off road.

that's interesting, coz ime, Ultimate is known as being soft and flexy

Ill second that, my ultimate fronts are perfect, certainly nothing stiff about them. As for the rear, no spring does everything you can't carry a ton properly and be flexy as well.
aandy

Postby dv8 on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 5:53 +0000

Can't go wrong with ultimate, bulletproof and their service is the best in the business. I went with bilsteins and king springs but ended up having to fork out way more than I initially expected. UCA upgrade, diff drop kit ( did jack shit ) swaybar relocation kit and constant fiddling with wheel alignment to get it spot on. Do yourself a favor and just go ultimate 2" lift and be done with it!
dv8

Postby 06lux on Tue, 03 Nov 2015 7:10 +0000

I run the old old reckon gear in mine. Full stage 2 with everything. Absolutely love it. Really comfy and you get great travel from them. Could only imagine that the new gear is way better.
I also run ultimate suspension leafs in the rear. I told them I wanted the standard rate leafs but 2"lifted. I tow a 800kg trailer every day and it barely sags the ass end. When it gets to the hard stuff they are awesome. Can nearly invert the leafs on some tracks. They work really well. I get a whole lot more travel than my mate with the same setup but different brand leafs. And ride quality is better too.
FOR SALE
complete standard suspension
2x 265/70/15 general grabber at2 (not on rims)
P
06lux

Postby shamat on Mon, 09 Nov 2015 5:04 +0000

carjos wrote:No worries mate, bit of a pain really. I'd just ask Brendan the question if you've heard it's rough, I've heard nothing but good about them so I'm sure he will have something that will work for you. The other one that comes to mind is dobinsons MRR kit there's been a few people banging on about that lately

The Dobinsons MRR look the goods at a reasonable price, but a little suspicious of Remote Reservoir units that cheap. I've usually only seen them with massive price tags. Dobinsons are known for their quality though.. Will definitely be looking into these more.
shamat

Postby angusjones8 on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 8:02 +0000

I put in the Tough Dog +150kg front and +300kg rear.
They couldn't tell me if it is a factory tub +300 or chassis +300 but I built a tray that ways 250kg and it has sagged pretty bad, dosnt flex compared to my old hilux with EFS leafs all round, is very rough and as soon as I put 100kg in the back it sags more. I got the adjustable shocks all round and don't have too many complaints about them and the front seems fine.

I'm looking at putting a pair of EFS springs in the back and see what difference that makes.

Wont get Tough Dog stuff again, probably cheap for a reason :(
angusjones8

Postby Torsion on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 11:40 +0000

This is what Australian Made quality is all about, if I was putting together another Hilux, this is what I would be looking at;
http://www.dmshocks.com/home_2.htm

You do ask a good question, about "Value for money".
In short, you can put together your own system that works as good if not better for less money.

Im a big believer of a fully adjustable coil over though. Gives you plenty of room to re-adjust as things start to sag.
The MR diff kit, sway bar relocate, UCA's, Droop stops are worthy.
Although there are many after market UCA's available, the rest can be put together yourself & save plenty.
Torsion

Return to Suspension