KEEPING IT LEGAL. (State Specific tyre threads)

Need something to get you rolling?

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:00 +0000

NSW.
SR legal tyre and track increases by Johnsmith
VIC.
New tyre regulations in VIC. by Brookster
QLD.
Keeping it legal QLD tyres and Wheels. by Southernland

If any one would like to start a thread and post up there state specific and legal increases in tyre diameter and track width please feel free to do so.
We will add more to this as time progresses.
Thankyou.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Re: KEEPING IT LEGAL. (State Specific tyre threads)

Postby Hilux Boy on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:56 +0000

I came across this document recently which seems pretty good, will be useful to hear from other members whether this still applies as it dates back to 2005
http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/Alternative%20Wheels%20&%20Tyres%20%20-%20Regulations.pdf
Hilux Boy

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 4:00 +0000

Hilux Boy wrote:I came across this document recently which seems pretty good, will be useful to hear from other members whether this still applies as it dates back to 2005
http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/Alternative%20Wheels%20&%20Tyres%20%20-%20Regulations.pdf

10points to you my friend....that link should be made a sticky...its an awesome read for anyone interested in wheel/tyre modifications and remaining legal.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 6:00 +0000

Yeah that's a great link. And at the moment every thing appears current. Just a reminder though that the laws are currently being reviewed so we can probably expect these threads to be obsolete by the end of the year
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 8:13 +0000

Ive stickied this and added a few other threads that are state specific.
Will also look into adding load and speed ratings as well into the original post so it is easy to find a the click of a mouse.
My apologies for taking so long to get around to things lately.. Ive been extremely busy. Pm or post up and threads that you think may apply or if you have any suggestions please let me know.
Would be great to get some of the SA, WA, NT ACT and TAS as well regarding legal tyre rim combinations
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby rodw on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 8:01 +0000

There are quite a few links to legal stuff in various states on my web site here:
http://www.vehiclemods.net.au/menu-web-links.html

I noticed reference to ADR23 in the Toyo document. It does not apply to the Hilux ADR Vehicle category.

Where the NCOP is in use in your state (I think this is TAS, NT, WA and maybe ACT - can anybody confirm this?), tyres can be increased by 50mm. See section 4.2 starting on page 14:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... eb2006.pdf

This statement in the Toyo document also does not apply to the Hilux which is a light goods vehicle. It comes from the NCOP quoted above:
*When converting a passenger car's wheels and tyres to those fitted to a high performance version of that model, the matching suspension components such as springs, shock absorbers and sway bars from the high performance model should also be used.

If you read the NCOP closely it says that a tyre "may not be more than 50mm larger than any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model". It would seem that it would be legal under the NCOP to base Hilux tyre sizes on the larger TRD spec (eg. "Any tyre on that model") in those states who have adopted the NCOP becasue it is not a passenger car, but it is a version of that model. Following this through, then you will be able to fit tyres up to roughly 32.5" tyres in those states who use the NCOP but it would be prudent to check the position in your state first :D

A transport officer in TAS told me that they had adopted the NCOP and that IFS vehicles were limited to 26mm increase in tyre size, but I can't see that caveat in the NCOP documentation, I think he must have got confused with track increase. The complete NCOP can be found here:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx
rodw

Postby pmuscat on Tue, 28 Sep 2010 2:54 +0000

Hi All,

I recently followed up the adoption of the NCOP standards in QLD. I was told the NCOP would be adopted and it looks like to be early 2011 (officially). The response I got from the Department of Transport is below.

Thank you for your interest in road safety. The Queensland Government is committed to improving road safety outcomes for all road users and cannot reduce the road toll alone. Everyone in the community needs to take responsibility for their on-road behavior and together we can reduce the number of crashes on Queensland's Roads.

The National Code of Practice (NCOP) is in the final stages of finalisation having completed all public and industry consultation with all subsequent changes made to the document. I am happy to advise you that the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) was the first jurisdiction to formally accept the NCOP in writing and once all other jurisdictions provide their letters of acceptance the finalised version of the NCOP will be placed on the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... index.aspx

Once the NCOP has been published in the finalised form, the department will proceed to implement it into legislation while also accrediting the Approved Persons with the new codes. It is envisaged that the NCOP will be in operation in Queensland in early 2011.
pmuscat

Postby Rebs on Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:45 +0000

I think WA has adopted the NCOP as when I made inquiries to Department of Transport (April 2010) about 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's for my new SR5, thats what they referred me to.
The problem was not the diameter, 50mm oversize is fine, it was the load rating. BFG's or no other 31x10.5x15 tyre for that matter, matched the OE stock SR5 tyre load rating. Cant even buy the OE rated tyres in WA!
Anyway, I put a case in writing to DOT that essentially said Toyota fit a tyre that exceeds their own specification for axle loading and the tyres I want also exceed the axle loading. Common sense prevailed, they agreed, I now have it in writing from DOT in WA that those tyres are legal, and and I'm happy.
Rebs

Postby ShaneH on Tue, 26 Oct 2010 4:32 +0000

Hi all,
For those of us in the ACT we have a lot more (legal) options than appears the case in other States. ACT motor transport authority refers to the National Code of Practice (NCOP) for tyre specifications.

Here is the link:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx

The relevant section is LS page 16; in short, no more that 50mm increase or 26mm decrease. It also states that speedo accuracy must be maintained to meet ADR18 (Australian Design Rule 18/03 Instrumentation). The ACT RTA advised me that if I change the tyres from standard I will need to get a speedo compliance certificate.

I've checked my speedo with standard tyres numerous times with different GPS and also the RTA speed incidators on the Hume Hwy and found my speedo is more than 10% out, at 100km/h true speed. The change in tyres up to 265/70R16 (from 255/70R15) will effect my speedo by 5.4% so I should it should still be in spec.

Cheers,
Shane
ShaneH

Postby hodgo81 on Fri, 12 Nov 2010 3:08 +0000

pmuscat wrote:Hi All,

I recently followed up the adoption of the NCOP standards in QLD. I was told the NCOP would be adopted and it looks like to be early 2011 (officially). The response I got from the Department of Transport is below.

Thank you for your interest in road safety. The Queensland Government is committed to improving road safety outcomes for all road users and cannot reduce the road toll alone. Everyone in the community needs to take responsibility for their on-road behavior and together we can reduce the number of crashes on Queensland's Roads.

The National Code of Practice (NCOP) is in the final stages of finalisation having completed all public and industry consultation with all subsequent changes made to the document. I am happy to advise you that the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) was the first jurisdiction to formally accept the NCOP in writing and once all other jurisdictions provide their letters of acceptance the finalised version of the NCOP will be placed on the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government at http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... index.aspx

Once the NCOP has been published in the finalised form, the department will proceed to implement it into legislation while also accrediting the Approved Persons with the new codes. It is envisaged that the NCOP will be in operation in Queensland in early 2011.

Just checked out that link, and the way I read it is that QLD's published rules are endorsing NCOP.

Suits me, ince I just got given some half used 235/85r16s that I can wack on the stock rims.
hodgo81

Postby white_hilux on Fri, 04 Feb 2011 9:22 +0000

pmuscat wrote:Hi All,

Anyone heard anything else on this?
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby hilux deluxe on Sun, 17 Jul 2011 7:56 +0000

Hi, I’m all new to this 4WD modifying scene and no knowledge at all of the mechanical & technical aspects of things specially topics regarding to fitting LARGER WHEELS. (Which is what my main question is about ). Ive read the docos from the RTA website as well as forums in regards to this but still pretty clueless about it all.

Just some background:
I reside in NSW and own a ’05 SR5 Dual cab Hilux and fitted a set of 22” rims (265x35/R22 tyres) on them but have recently been told that are “illegal” & “unsafe”. Therefore I want to get rid of them ASAP as my ute is used for work and don’t want any hassle with the authorities & insurance. I now want to fit a new set of 4WD wheels, but only if they are legal and without having to go through the process of getting an Engineer certificate.

The standard wheels on my Hilux are 255x70/R15 and want to fit a new set of bigger 4WD wheels 265x75/R16 (similar to many Hiluxs ive seen on this site). So my question is: Are these wheels legal to fit on? If not, what’s the next best thing or similar to this size of wheels?
I also plan on raising the suspension, what is the legal height i can raise the car?
Im hoping some of you are able enlighten me on this popular topic and share some of your knowledge/opinions. Thank you.
hilux deluxe

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011 8:07 +0000

Keeping it all legal mate, you can only raise the suspension 50mm of stock height.

And wheel and tyres I believe is 50mm overall diameter from stock with no more than 15mm increase in the track / offset. Stock is ET30

All this info is in the forum so please try searching agin mate.
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby bleeding green on Thu, 22 Mar 2012 7:47 +0000

Hilux delux, I'm in a similar boat to you. I have an 09 sr5 that has stock 15 inch wheels. I bought a set of 17 inch stock wheels that came off an 2011 model. I also live in nsw.

I have one some searching and I believe the overall diameter can only be increased by 20mm to keep it legal. The track didn't allow for much leeway either.

Therefore I can't (shouldn't) fit the 17's I just bought. Tbh I'm gob smacked a little by this. So many cars must be driving on 'illegal' wheels, as a lot of cars, not just four bies have larger than factory wheels.

It is not worth while to get the wheels engineered?
bleeding green

Postby JYELUX on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:59 +0000

Here is some info for South Australia..

Please read this Link in full
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/per ... Height.PDF

Vehicle Ride Height
Vehicle ride height can be increased by any combination of the following three methods. However, it is important to note that a total lift of more than 50mm requires prior approval and a report from a CPE.

Tyres / Rims
The fitting of rims with a different diameter to those listed on the vehicle’s tyre placard is acceptable, provided that the overall diameter of the alternative rim/tyre combination is not greater than 15mm over the largest combination or 15mm smaller than the smallest combination specified on the vehicle’s tyre placard.
If you intend to fit rim/tyre combination outside the 15mm limit, then an application must be made to Vehicle Standards for an Exemption from that particular section of the Road Traffic Act and a report from a CPE supplied with the application.
Any replacement tyre fitted to your vehicle must also have a load capacity equal or greater than the minimum specified on the manufacture’s tyre placard.

Suspension
When raising the ride height of your vehicle by changes to the suspension, you must ensure that the original amount of rebound travel is maintained. The rebound shall be limited by the same method as the original manufacturer (i.e. limit straps or shock absorber full extension).
The vehicle ride height cannot be raised by:

•Extended or adjustable shackle plates on leaf springs.
•Relocating a leaf spring on the opposite side of an axle to that of the vehicle manufacturer.
•Spacer blocks mounted above or below the coil spring.
•Wedges or blocks located between the coils.
•Spacer blocks mounted between the top of the suspension strut and vehicle body.

Body Lift
The body of a vehicle can be raised by up to 50mm by the fitting of spacer blocks between the vehicle chassis and body at their mounting points. The blocks must be manufactured from steel, aluminum, or metal of equivalent strength. In some cases the steering shaft may have to be extended as well as longer brake hoses fitted.
If there is any alteration or replacement of the original steering components, then the modification requires prior approval from Vehicle Standards and a roadworthiness inspection upon completion. A report from a CPE may be required

Wheel track (cant find hilux on here but seems to apply)
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... 202012.pdf

Application to Modify a Motor Vehicle
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... ehicle.pdf

Chartered professional engineers
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... b%2010.pdf
Jye

If ya feet smell and ya nose runs, ya must be upside-down!

The JYELUX Build

jyelux@newhilux.net
JYELUX

Postby steve_85 on Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:17 +0000

in Qld you can only have a maximum overall lift height of 50 mm before a Mod plate is needed, this 50 mm or 2 inch can be from one suspension mod or a combination, this includes Tyre, body block, or springs. the max you can go in your tyre size if 50 mm this will increasing the ride height of your vehicle by 25 mm or 1 inch only leaving you 1 inch or 25 mm to play with before you will exceed the 50 mm overall and require a modification plate.

If you read the NCOP you have to read it all, tyre and body lift are added together not individual. If you do go over the 50 mm total you can be liable for a few different Traffic infringement notices - defect vehicle $110 ... 1 point , Vehicle not comply with safety standards $220 ..... 2 or 3 points , and also owner fail to ensure modification plate fitted to vehicle $320 ... 0 points.

There is also a section in relation to the maximum width a tyre can be up sized to. Also don't forget that when you raise your vehicle you also need to modify your mod flaps so that they are no less the 300 mm from the ground at a 20 degree angle from the center of the tyre toward the rear of the vehicle.
steve_85

Postby walmsensation on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 7:53 +0000

THANKS. VERY HELPFUL
walmsensation

Postby Phil675 on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 6:44 +0000

JYELUX wrote:Here is some info for South Australia..

Please read this Link in full
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/per ... Height.PDF

Vehicle Ride Height
Vehicle ride height can be increased by any combination of the following three methods. However, it is important to note that a total lift of more than 50mm requires prior approval and a report from a CPE.

Tyres / Rims
The fitting of rims with a different diameter to those listed on the vehicle’s tyre placard is acceptable, provided that the overall diameter of the alternative rim/tyre combination is not greater than 15mm over the largest combination or 15mm smaller than the smallest combination specified on the vehicle’s tyre placard.
If you intend to fit rim/tyre combination outside the 15mm limit, then an application must be made to Vehicle Standards for an Exemption from that particular section of the Road Traffic Act and a report from a CPE supplied with the application.
Any replacement tyre fitted to your vehicle must also have a load capacity equal or greater than the minimum specified on the manufacture’s tyre placard.

Suspension
When raising the ride height of your vehicle by changes to the suspension, you must ensure that the original amount of rebound travel is maintained. The rebound shall be limited by the same method as the original manufacturer (i.e. limit straps or shock absorber full extension).
The vehicle ride height cannot be raised by:

•Extended or adjustable shackle plates on leaf springs.
•Relocating a leaf spring on the opposite side of an axle to that of the vehicle manufacturer.
•Spacer blocks mounted above or below the coil spring.
•Wedges or blocks located between the coils.
•Spacer blocks mounted between the top of the suspension strut and vehicle body.

Body Lift
The body of a vehicle can be raised by up to 50mm by the fitting of spacer blocks between the vehicle chassis and body at their mounting points. The blocks must be manufactured from steel, aluminum, or metal of equivalent strength. In some cases the steering shaft may have to be extended as well as longer brake hoses fitted.
If there is any alteration or replacement of the original steering components, then the modification requires prior approval from Vehicle Standards and a roadworthiness inspection upon completion. A report from a CPE may be required

Wheel track (cant find hilux on here but seems to apply)
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... 202012.pdf

Application to Modify a Motor Vehicle
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... ehicle.pdf

Chartered professional engineers
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... b%2010.pdf

I believe their has been an amendment since then. - From a local 4WD club

Tyre Sizes
Many members of FWDSA will be aware that the Tyre Size Working Group has been
working to achieve greater commonality with the other states regarding the fitment of
larger tyres.
The working group is pleased to advise that an exemption has been granted to off
road passenger vehicles (class MC), this was published in the SA government
gazette on 9 July 2015.
The exemption allows for the fitment of larger diameter tyres to your 4WD provided
that:
1. The increased diameter is no more than 50mm greater than the largest tyre
listed on your tyre placard:
2. Speedometer accuracy is maintained; and
3. The total ground clearance is not increased by more than 50mm.
Of course, all other existing regulations still apply, and you need to consider this
exemption in conjunction with any other modifications that your vehicle may have.
If you have any doubts in your ability to interpret the rules then please consult an
expert.
Phil675

Postby john253a on Mon, 21 Mar 2016 6:38 +0000

Sorry to say but above has been amended again since then
Nov15 was last amendment
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Safet ... eering.pdf
Amendment are to track width, tyre heigh, total lift and axel swaps
Also like to say not stayed have adopted ncop and not all 4wd are excepted under class mc, the hilux and Many others are under review from pressure from ato
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby incman on Mon, 21 Mar 2016 9:38 +0000

Great tyre chart, someone posted up on this forum on different thread

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
incman

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels