Maximum LEGAL SR tyre and wheel sizes NSW

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Maximum LEGAL SR tyre and wheel sizes NSW

Postby apSlain on Tue, 08 Sep 2015 12:38 +0000

Hey all,

Quick question on these legalities. I've got an '06 SR running stock tyres and wheels - 205R16C (205/80R16), 16x6 at 45p offset. I can't confirm the wheel specifications as they are what came with the car when I purchased it in March this year.

I plan to move to 265/75R16 tyres after a two inch lift. I do plan to get this engineered; however, I'm unsure on the wheel offset here. Even after engineering, the wheel track is not allowed to increase beyond 25mm. Does this mean I must choose a wheel with an offset of 35p to stay within the law concerning wheel tracks?

While an SR5 would pass all these tests easily enough (and not have many wheel offset issues with its 30p stock and wheel track of 1540), all the tiny differences in the SR (tyre placard showing 205R16C as the tyre size, wheel track of 1510, stock wheel offset of 45p) seem to be enough to make life difficult in getting these simple modifications engineered. Has anyone gone through the process with a similar tyre/wheel/lift combination for an SR?

I know (and plan) to get flares and the speedometer recalibrated.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby SRD4D on Tue, 08 Sep 2015 1:01 +0000

just make sure they sit inside your flares you also fit and dont bother with the paper work...no one knows what it came with and usual no one cares...
how many 4wds are out there ileagaly modified that go unchecked pulled up at lights or even breathoed....
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby adumb on Sun, 15 May 2016 5:11 +0000

Hi guys

I have been doing some research on new wheels/tyres for my 2012 SR. The stock rims have an offset of +45 making upgrading to new wheels problematic. The most common is a 16x7 +30, increasing the wheel track by 30mm. NSW Legislation is very clear in stating that 25mm is the maximum allowable increase in wheel track.

Am I missing something with people running wider/lower offset wheels? Have people found +32.5 offset or something like that? Is the only legal option running bigger tyres on the stock rims?
adumb

Postby nicebike on Mon, 16 May 2016 6:07 +0000

If you wade through the actual ADRs (which have been posted on here somewhere), there does not seem to be any differentiation between SR, SR5,Workmate, etc.

The references are to "model", which in the application of much of the ADRs is KUN26. The variations within KUN26 do not appear (to me) to be relevant in the context of the ADRs.

The states all follow the ADRs, with only minor variations.

If you choose to accept my bush lawyer view of how the ADRs define a "model", one should be OK regarding SR5 as the widest/highest wheel tyre combination that comes standard on that model (KUN26).

The tyre placard may, or may not be an issue depending on where you are, or which plod you are dealing with. (I don't know if anyone has bought a S/H car and found the placard missing :o ). My view would be that the placard relates to the trim level of my particular KUN26, but if regulations specifically refer to the placard, I probably wouldn't get that to fly.

On a simpler level, you could give the following post some thought. The reality is that a great many of the wheel/tyre combinations being used by posters on this board would need engineering certification, and I'm pretty sure that most don't get it. Accidents may or not cause it to hit the fan for these people.
SRD4D wrote:just make sure they sit inside your flares you also fit and dont bother with the paper work...no one knows what it came with and usual no one cares...
how many 4wds are out there ileagaly modified that go unchecked pulled up at lights or even breathoed....
nicebike

Postby adumb on Wed, 18 May 2016 6:34 +0000

Thanks for the reply nicebike. I have been going through the NSW VSIs and then the ADRs, talking to engineers and the rms and getting a different answer from everyone. It seems that the only 'legal' option is the stock rims with decent tyres. My only concern is from an insurance perspective and getting my covered voided.
adumb

Postby nicebike on Thu, 19 May 2016 7:04 +0000

Not surprised that everyone gives a different answer. The vast majority of people in official places don't understand, don't want to know, and dont want to be responsible for anything, let alone a decision. That's why I prefer to look at actual black letter info when faced with this sort of issue.

For at least a couple of years, the KUN26, in SR trim, could be bought with an option pack that consisted of 17 x 7.5" p30 wheels, flares, VSC/ESC, ABS, TC and ADD. When VSC/ESC, ABS and TRAC became standard in late 2013, 17" wheels also became standard, but only 6" wide.

The KUN26 in SR5 trim had various wheels over the life of the model, but for the last few years had 17 x 7.5 p30 as standard.

Given this, I feel that I would be pretty unlucky to be pinged for having 17 x 7.5 p30 on my KUN26 ute. (which is an SR) I probably should whack on some narrow flares, but tyre coverage is another issue.

If the insurance company is not helping on the phone, you could always consider declaring to the insurance company IN WRITING that you have fitted (or want to fit) whatever you decide on BEFORE you do anything. If the company comes back with the answer you want, IN WRITING, go ahead and do it. If you don't like the answer, tell them you have changed your mind and dont do it.
nicebike

Postby SambOz on Thu, 19 May 2016 3:25 +0000

Been running SR5 steel rims (the spare was steel back in the day) on my 2006 SR tray since 2010, no flares, no problems. Just run 'em and forget about all the waffle, it's not an issue. :lol:

Bgr all mud comes up w/o flares, even 31x10.5's don't stick out to any obvious extent.

My experience, the 31x10.5's are nearer actual speed than the originals.

Did I mention some very nice SR5 mags on here for sale..................... :mrgreen:
SambOz

Legal tyres a

Postby Lux996 on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 5:33 +0000

Okay so im sure people would know on here. And im sure it is asked most days. But what is the legal size tyres to run on a sr 2011 model lux. I have 16 inch steel wheel not that it should make a difference?
Lux996

Re: Legal tyres a

Postby 06xtracab on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 6:08 +0000

WHat does the tyre placard say?

You say: "what is the legal size tyres to run on a sr 2011 model lux"

or did you mean to say: what is the best size, or, what is the biggest size...?
06xtracab

Re: Legal tyres a

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 6:33 +0000

Lux996 wrote:Okay so im sure people would know on here. And im sure it is asked most days. But what is the legal size tyres to run on a sr 2011 model lux. I have 16 inch steel wheel not that it should make a difference?

Moved to the correct Gen 7 section.

Yep, asked and answered many times, there's even this specific thread all about it. Search is your friend.

Thread merged.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels