utemart flares

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: utemart flares

Postby MRO on Wed, 31 Oct 2012 8:14 +0000

MRO

Postby Rustyau on Tue, 05 Feb 2013 7:37 +0000

Has anyone had experience with fitting utemart flares to an SR with the factory steel bar???
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby Pazz01 on Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:04 +0000

I'm in the same boat as you rusty and looking at them

I've seen a few fitted and there is a bit of a gap between the end of the flare and the plastic butt on the bullbar, that looked a bit dicky. I seen on the toyota website the SR with the factory bullbar has flares and they have a larger piece of plastic on the butt of the bullbar and a capping part on between the edge of the flare and the plastic.

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/accessories

Be interested to see if anyone has got the same set up.

Pazz
Pazz01

Postby oggy on Wed, 06 Feb 2013 5:49 +0000

Pazz01 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you rusty and looking at them

I've seen a few fitted and there is a bit of a gap between the end of the flare and the plastic butt on the bullbar, that looked a bit dicky. I seen on the toyota website the SR with the factory bullbar has flares and they have a larger piece of plastic on the butt of the bullbar and a capping part on between the edge of the flare and the plastic.

Pazz
Have done it to mine guys. You can buy the end caps for the bullbar from toyota (the only issue is that because they are physically bigger you need to drill some new holes in the sides of the bar. And it's an absolute pain in the arse :? if the useless pricks supplied a template it would be soooo much easier.) As for the flarelets that fill the gap , they fit easy enough . The main issue is you have to buy the entire kit, which includes the complete bumper infill under the grill. All said though it does look way better than just flares.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby Pazz01 on Wed, 06 Feb 2013 8:08 +0000

oggy wrote:
Pazz01 wrote:I'm in the same boat as you rusty and looking at them

Pazz
Have done it to mine guys. You can buy the end caps for the bullbar from toyota (the only issue is that because they are physically bigger you need to drill some new holes in the sides of the bar. And it's an absolute pain in the arse :? if the useless pricks supplied a template it would be soooo much easier.) As for the flarelets that fill the gap , they fit easy enough . The main issue is you have to buy the entire kit, which includes the complete bumper infill under the grill. All said though it does look way better than just flares.

So if I go into toyota here in Cairns they will know what I am talking about?

If you don't mind me asking, what type of price are we looking at for that kit? I'm very keen to do it because it would look a lot nicer than just the flares. Do the ute mart flares just fit perfectly or did you fit genuine flares?

Cheers
Pazz
Pazz01

Postby oggy on Wed, 06 Feb 2013 10:14 +0000

Off the top of my head the kit was around 220 and i think the bullbar bits were something like 90, and no,it does not mean they will no what you are talking about. There are two kits . One for preface lift and one for currant shape(only one or two numbers different in the part number ) so be specific, very specific (there not rocket scientists remember).
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

oggy

Postby Pazz01 on Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:04 +0000

Cheers mate much appreciated.

I have been deciding on these for ages and now that I know I can get this I am looking forward to fitting them.

I'll pop in there shortly and get a price.... might even try trade price if I can - so fingers cross.

Cheers
Pazz
Pazz01

Postby oggy on Wed, 06 Feb 2013 4:49 +0000

I had more of a headache fitting the flares :( One fitted up great , but the other one had about a 15mm gap at the front. I tried grinding where it was touching (as recommended) ,to no avail :? :? in the end i got the heat gun out and hit the back of it , sort of worked :? :?

oggy

Postby Pazz01 on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 9:24 +0000

Thanks oggy.

I contacted toyota regarding these accessories.

We pretty happy with the price. Total for the front panel section and the bull bar end caps was $270 to Cairns. Just want to make sure the flares etc are going to line up with the toyota genuine accessories for the bullbar and that will be sweet. Should be good to go.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is removing the bullbar and fitting that new front panel piece. That looks like a bit of a major. Will have to do some more investigations.

I did enquire about genuine flares for shits and giggles and they told me they don't fit on as an after purchase accessory, because the guards etc are wider on the factory flares and the after market. I found that interesting.

Pazz
Pazz01

Postby oggy on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:49 +0000

No need to remove the bar. All you need out of the infill kit is the little flarelets on the end. They will just screw on to your existing pieces. All you have to do is unclip the ends (around the headlights) to give you enough room to screw the flarelets on. Here's another tip. Cut out a cardboard template to suit the flarlet, poke holes in the back of it where the screws go in and use this to drill the holes in the infill panel. As for the bar ,good luck....seriously it's a prick :? :?

oggy

Postby pilko4x4 on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 4:30 +0000

Hey guys im refitting some utemart flares to my 12 sr. Im having some trouble to get them to fit the front near the arb bar against the guard. When i sit the flare for as trial fit , they fit great but when i tighten the screws up the flares move out from the guard and leave a gap of about 10 mm. Has anyone got any tips for me. Fits great all the way fron sill to abot 200 mm from front then i springs open. Hoping to get them on tonight or the morning. Thanks
pilko4x4

Postby SRD4D on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 5:00 +0000

pilko4x4 wrote:Hey guys im refitting some utemart flares to my 12 sr. Im having some trouble to get them to fit the front near the arb bar against the guard. When i sit the flare for as trial fit , they fit great but when i tighten the screws up the flares move out from the guard and leave a gap of about 10 mm. Has anyone got any tips for me. Fits great all the way fron sill to abot 200 mm from front then i springs open. Hoping to get them on tonight or the morning. Thanks

gday
Did you get the new shape hilux gaurds for your 12 model? they are a different design to the 05+ to 2011
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby pilko4x4 on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 5:14 +0000

Yeah i did. Ive rang leon about that just to make sure. I got some tips off him to fit them up and just cannot get them correct. Thought there might be some tricks on here. Thanks
pilko4x4

Postby SRD4D on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 5:27 +0000

pilko4x4 wrote:Yeah i did. Ive rang leon about that just to make sure. I got some tips off him to fit them up and just cannot get them correct. Thought there might be some tricks on here. Thanks

ok good,probly not but the tabs inside the gaurd arnt bent upwards that you mount the flare to are they?
your mounting them bellow the black plastic inner guards arnt you?

If they fit held on by hand, then the mount hole/surface angle is the problem,can you fit a spacer in between the flare and the inner gaurd mount to prove it will fit neatly to the gaurd once fixed.
they should only take 1/2 hour to fit in total mate.
got any pics of the problem.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby pilko4x4 on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 5:33 +0000

I don't think the tabs are bent, at least they don't appear to be. I was thinking the tabs on the flare may have been on the wrong angle and when I tighten them up they pull out on the top of flare. I don't have any pics but Ill try packing the taps in morning and see how I go. Thanks
pilko4x4

Postby greyhound on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 7:54 +0000

I recently fitted utemart flares to my 12 hilux. I also had a fair few issues getting them to fit, at one stage they were sitting about 15mm off the guard at the front.
My suggestion would be put all screws in loosely. Try rotate the flare forward as much as possible. I.e. for the left hand flare pull/push it anti-clockwise as far as possible. Look for any high spots, sand them off as required. In the end I ended up using a hair dryer, heating up the front of the flare and bending it in.
It took a fair bit of time, a couple of hours per flare but mine fit pretty well now.
Let me know if you want any more help!
greyhound

Postby ajh on Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:05 +0000

Trial and error spacing it out with washers so it doesn't pull it away from the fender when tightened.
ajh

Postby pilko4x4 on Sun, 07 Apr 2013 8:17 +0000

Yeah thanks ill have a go today and see how it all comes up.
pilko4x4

Postby Stef on Sun, 07 Apr 2013 8:28 +0000

Wish they would make the 55mm ones for the 2012 already!
Stef

Postby andy10 on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:22 +0000

Hi guys have any of you fitted the 55mm flares to a 10sr with a arb sr5 bar? Any photos or advice on how it fits/lines up? Thanks for the help
andy10

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels