TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby trisomedd on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 5:13 +0000

Greetings Everyone,

Heres my 2 bobs worth

BRAND. Yokohama

TYRE SIZE. 265/70 R16

TYPE. AT/S (G012)

SUSPENSION LIFT. No lift

RIM SIZE. 16

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - On road quite off yet to try

Would like to go bigger but all the research and the end result was this was the biggest I could go without lifting etc. The Speedy Grande rims look great. All up paid $2000 for 5x tyres and rims.

Cheers
Trisomedd
trisomedd

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 5:32 +0000

BRAND. Mickey Thompson
TYRE SIZE. 31x10.5

TYPE. BAJA ATZ (5 rib)

SUSPENSION LIFT. 3"

RIM SIZE. 15

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - On road VERY quite off Deep grooves, solid grip for an All Terrain, I rate them better than my set of BFG A/T's i had on my cruiser.

I am buying a set of Mickey Thompson 31x10.5 in MTZ also.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby sobriquet on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:10 +0000

OK my 2 bob's worth:

I beleive on this thread there ought to be some mention made of effect on fuel consumption and gearing from fitting larger wheels/tyres. Some may decide not to go down the track of larger tyres knowing what those effects might be. Here's my experience:

Stock Standard tyres/rims - fuel cons around town: 9.5l/100km - regular as clockwork.

Then fitted:
BRAND. Bridgestone

TYRE SIZE. 265/70 R16

TYPE. D6894LT

SUSPENSION LIFT. No lift

RIM SIZE. 16x7

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - Grip on/off-road excellent. Wider stance gave much better stability in cornering. Wear etc - cant say, but I do want to make another point here - because i believe it has not been made clearly enough yet: I was not happy with the on-road performance - which in my case is 90% of my driving (ie every working day):

Remember - these tyres are 40mm bigger diameter than the originals. Acceleration in 3rd, 4th, 5th went from responsive to a slug. Destroyed most of the fun of driving it around town.

Hooked on my camper trailer, and it was unpleasant - felt like the car was labouring all the time, esp moving off - even more so on on slight incline. Every time I moved off it felt like it was straining the clutch. Braking with camper trailer on was downright dangerous. Even though the camper has override brakes, you had to stomp really hard to get them to engage - esp on downhill run.

If you want your car to last a long time, and especially if you are going to tow something then you really need to take this into account.

Back to non-towing performance - getting up to 100kph with slight headwind I nearly had to floor it in 4th - although once there it held ok.

Fuel consumption (and this is allowing for greater rolling circumference) went to ~11.0l/100km around town!!. For me thats an extra $500/year in fuel.

Personally I felt that was not worth it for 2 cm increased clearance from standard - so elected to lose 12.5mm of that and (only) 7.5% of the tyre width by going down to a 245/70R16 in same construction. , same tyre - these are 15mm bigger diameter than originals - so exactly max allowed legally. Sure its a compromise sure. But:

On-road - much nicer than original cheesecutter. The wider stance (70mm wider from outside edge to outside edge) still really improves cornering. On-road grip still excellent. Off-road - have not tried yet but presumably not too bad. Braking back to normal (ie pretty average), towing back to normal, fuel consumption - not sure yet but so far its looking like if anything its going to be slightly BETTER than 9.5l/100km.

So to sum up - if you are a serious off-roader, out there in playing in the mud every weekend, well sure, you need the biggest you can get. In low ratio all the above is a non-issue.

However I suspect there are many like me: the Hilux is your daily drive around town (and very nice & relaxing & economical it is for that too). During holidays you like to travel around this country, perhaps towing a camper trailer, and do the odd bush track, or drive on beaches occasionally - heck even have some fun 4wding. I.e you own a 4wd basically so you can get to more places - rather than to go 4wding as a sport/hobby.

In that case beware - you can very easily affect the driveability of you vehicle by buying bigger tyres. This which will annoy you 90% of the time as well as placing extra stress on the vehicle 100% of the time, just to gain a bit more traction in rare situations, and a little more more ground clearance - after all the 265s gave me only 12.5mm more clearance than the 245s. You could always go a lift instead.

Remember - its a costly exercise if you buy the wrong tyres.

Hope this is of help to some when considering larger tyres.

Cheers
Eric.
sobriquet

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:01 +0000

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Macca on Fri, 18 Sep 2009 2:56 +0000

G'day Eric

Thanks for explaining that so well.

I have had the exact same result as you, we have now sold the CT as the kids are doing other things.

Larger dia. with it on the back was plain scary.

Now have 31" road and 32" off road tyres, worth the extra cost to have a nicer "highway" ride, then when on a 4WD trip put the 32'' on and use low range as you say. Just a pain to get to the "starting point" sometimes.

It works for me

Macca
Macca

Postby felix on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 9:27 +0000

You could just stick with your original SR rims and go for the 215/85 which has very little noticeable change to lux characteristics.
felix

Postby sobriquet on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:36 +0000

At this stage thats a little impractical - can just see my tyre dealer now when I go back and say - oh dont want rims or tyres anymore - can you take them back and supply a set of 215/85s :lol: !!

Nah, the extra 30mm track width along with extra tyre width, gives a 70mm wider stance which noticeably improves stability in corners. That and the better grip from 245s is well worth the extra $118/rim any day.
sobriquet

Postby felix on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 2:59 +0000

only kidding, i know you young blokes consider looks to be important. i don't drive fast enough to notice things like grip and stability :o
felix

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 7:28 +0000

Great explanation Eric.
A great write up there mate, showing alot of the other factors that should be considered with tyre selection and rim combo's. The whole idea of this thread gain valuable information and try and help members with real world experience in tyre and rim selection. Another factor that is often over looked is legality of the tyre rim setup. This varies from State to state and consultation with relevent transport authorities should be considered as well with regards to rim and tyre selection.
I will have to update this thread as I also like Macca prefer driving around with my more road orientated All terrains on 31 diametre and use the 32's for off road use only... Ive have even considered going back down to Std rubber once the 31's wear out as from time to time I do tow around a 2.2 tonne plant trailer which put puts alot of strain on the drivetrain even without fitting larger dia. tyres.
Cheers.
Skog :)
Skog07

Postby sobriquet on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:58 +0000

Thanks for that response Skog.

Hey Felix, dont assume Im one of them young blokes. Got over 0.5 century on the clock myself..

I just like driving. And used to drive small fast cars (driven relatively briskly).. so I am quite aware of the dynamic behaviour of the vehicle Im driving, even if Im not driving it to the limit.

I think in addition to being a nicer drive, better dynamics makes for greater safety margin when you do make a mistake. Besides that - purely unintended side effect of course - I gotta admit the tyres do look a hell of a lot better than the originals. The car just looks in proportion now.

Cheers
Eric.
sobriquet

Postby SambOz on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 1:48 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Great explanation Eric.
A great write up there mate, showing alot of the other factors that should be considered with tyre selection and rim combo's. The whole idea of this thread gain valuable information and try and help members with real world experience in tyre and rim selection. Another factor that is often over looked is legality of the tyre rim setup. This varies from State to state and consultation with relevent transport authorities should be considered as well with regards to rim and tyre selection.
I will have to update this thread as I also like Macca prefer driving around with my more road orientated All terrains on 31 diametre and use the 32's for off road use only... Ive have even considered going back down to Std rubber once the 31's wear out as from time to time I do tow around a 2.2 tonne plant trailer which put puts alot of strain on the drivetrain even without fitting larger dia. tyres.
Cheers.
Skog :)

Skog07, I think you are on the money with considering standard rubber when towing, seems to me in my limited time with a D4D that the clutch etc will be subject to much less strain and therefore possibility of failure.

And yes, 1st gear is bloody high.

My plan is to get some SR5 rims with decent, but not overly large, lug tyres for the bush and some standard rims running road patterns for towing my tandem trailer with plant.

Loving the new singlecab tray, the '96 2.8 sold last Sat, shed a small tear after 171,00 km in it since new.
SambOz

Postby Bourbydol on Sun, 04 Oct 2009 7:55 +0000

Howdy Everyone,

Heres my 5cents worth(no more 2cents)!

BRAND. Sumitomo

TYRE SIZE. 265/75 R16

TYPE. AT/S (Serengeti's)

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm(dobinson with uprated springs n coils)

RIM : 16 x 7 CSA white Steelies +25mm offset.

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - On road a bit of noise. Off road real good (first set of real 4x4 tyres compared to stock cheese cutters). Wear, well there new so i'll let you know!

5,000ks on, rotated, wearing well.

Side Note : a friend has Sumitomo Serengeti's( i found out 2wks after mine were fitted) in 235/85r16 (same Dia and fit on 6inch rim!) on his Bravo with 45mm lift. wearing well(2yrs old n should've been rotated 6 months ago, he's been to broome, karratha and more loaded with gear n family). having said all that with similar vehicles ( his 2.5 inter turbo deisel, me d4d) similar tyres, similar clearance etc,
it all comes down to driver style and line picked as to how/wether you get through...........

Cheers

Bourbydol
Last edited by Bourbydol on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 9:13 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
All posts powered by Bourbon.
by Joonyah on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:43 +0000
My old man told me "son, if it floats,flies or f$@#&%, you are better off leasing it".
Bourbydol

Postby roys on Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:17 +0000

Brand: BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2

Tyre Size: 245/75/16

Type: Mud terrain

Suspension lift: 40mm front 50mm rear Ride pro suspension

Rim size: 16 x 7 ROH

Wear, performance on and off road. Off road extremely good and work well over corrugations. Recently completed 26,000 km trip with off-road van and tinny on top of vehicle, absolute CRAP wear on bitumen, 14,000 km and 60% worn. Would NOT reccomend these if towing anything.
roys

Postby Jack S on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 8:06 +0000

SR5LUX wrote:
COST - i paid $280 each for them about a year ago but have gone up now i think

WOW, you paid a fare bit, when did you purchase these?

my mate just bought some bighorns 31 x 10.5 x 15 and he paid $210 each.....
Jack S

Postby Jack S on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 5:29 +0000

ANY FEEDBACK ON THE GOODYEAR MT/R KEVLAR??????????????
Jack S

Postby pootrol on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 7:29 +0000

roys wrote:Brand: BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2

Tyre Size: 245/75/16

Type: Mud terrain

Suspension lift: 40mm front 50mm rear Ride pro suspension

Rim size: 16 x 7 ROH

Wear, performance on and off road. Off road extremely good and work well over corrugations. Recently completed 26,000 km trip with off-road van and tinny on top of vehicle, absolute CRAP wear on bitumen, 14,000 km and 60% worn. Would NOT reccomend these if towing anything.

was just reseaching this exact tyre for maybe something to look at getting for play tyres. i did fear the wear thing would be bad as they look soft and for the cost of em thats not much value for the money. maybe i will ge back to the old faithful bighorns.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby pootrol on Mon, 04 Jan 2010 5:39 +0000

BRAND. simex extreme trekkers

TYRE SIZE. 31"

TYPE.muddie

SUSPENSION LIFT. none

RIM SIZE. 15x7 dynamics with pos 10 offset

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD there only second hand and will only be bolted on in a 4wd park so pics are more for fit with no lift than a report on wear and tear. UPDATE: had to drive down to local tyre dealer to get castor etc done. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A PLAY TYRE THAT YOU WANT TO DRIVE TO THE PLAY AREAS WITH THEN THESE ARNT FOR YOU. the howl is unreal. cops could honestly hear you coming before they see you and inside the car with the window down is very loud. even the tyre dude after a test drive had to come back pick up a work mate and say get in you gotta hear this. feel on road just driving normal didnt feel much diff to the stockies, no bouncing on the tread blocks just smooth. so if you like the sound of a jet plane these are what you want cos any road driving from 15klm hr up it sounds like theres one strapped to your roof. :twisted:

WEBLINKS.

PHOTOS.
Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS 75 at 2010-01-04

like mentioned before i dont see a prob with rubbing. but theres a coil spacer coming to help the front as it seems to have to much front rake like all toyotas
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby lukeSR on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 8:29 +0000

BRAND. Goodyear

TYRE SIZE. 235/85/16

TYPE. Wrangler MTR

SUSPENSION LIFT. None.

RIM SIZE. 16x6 (standard SR rims)

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. Freakin awesome off-road!! This is my first mud tyre and I am very happy with it. On road is a little noisy, but after I drive down a freeway you are used to it. Wear thus far is minimal but have only done roughly 2000kms. They are also as good as any all terrain tyre I have had on past 4WD's (BFG AT, Cooper ATR) on the roads, especially in the wet, I was fairly surprised.

WEBLINKS.http://www.goodyear.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=GYR&websegmentcode=RV&mtpcode=00782&from=nPerPage. This is not exactly the same, mine are the non-kevlar version I think.

PHOTOS. Watch this space...

Other Notes: I believe this size tyre is a great option for SR model utes because:
a) No need to buy new rims
b) No need to buy flares
c) No need to buy suspension
d) No need to worry about damage to the side of the car as they sit inside the guards
e) Put speedo spot-on
f) They look great!!

So basically you can save a heap of cash to spend on other goodies :D

That's my dot com anyways :D

PS. THANKS STONEY!!! ( Brought the tyres from him)
---
Luke
GO BUSH!!
lukeSR

Postby D4D Hilux on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 7:38 +0000

good info fellas, just finished reading the whole thread, now tossing up between the mickey thomson MTR or ATZ 31/10.5/15 or the Wrangler MT/R would be a similar size in the goodyear????

My hilux has no lift and i will be running the SR5 rims...

How much should i expect to pay for either of these?
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby jogal on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 8:06 +0000

Ok i may as well add to this thread! My last lux an 05 Extra-cab i ran 265/75 R16's Procomp Xtreme MT's as far as a aggressive tyre is concerned i thought they were worth every cent i paid for them i got close to 70thou k's out of them. Offroad they were awesome on road grip was great as well! as far as road noise they were good for a mudie but as they wore on they got a bit noisier.They did however change the gearing but after fitting the Steinbaur any lost performance was soon gained back and more. I tow a heavy trailer pretty much daily (2+ton) and the braking is shit with or without the trailer so i think in terms of braking you need to adjust your driving techniques. On my new lux i have just fitted 31x10.5 r15 Micky T's MTZ's all ive got to say i rekon they are the worst tyre i have ever bought ! I cant say they have faulted offroad yet but onroad they are definately the loudest tyre i have ever had and in terms of towing when braking they sound like the lugs are ripping off. Any how i know the MTZ's are very popular and i could just be fussy and im comparing to what ive had previously. As for the last post expect to pay anywere from $289 to $340 for the 31x10.5 R15 MTZ's
jogal

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels